Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Thanks for sharing the pics. Wow, parts of the ship are still "lovely". What a totally tragic waste, that didn't need to happen. If only there hadn't been a "show off", look what I can do, on board. I won't call him a Captain, because he didn't deserve to be one.

press release about a video, seemingly taken aboard the concordia without authorized access. If it's enough to warrant a press release, I'd like to see the video!

http://shiprecycling.it/shipr-recycling-saipem-san-giorgio-del-porto/

March 26, 2015

Regarding the video appeared on the internet and picked up by some media sources and on the Concordia currently moored at the breakwater of the Port of Pra Voltri for relief operations, the Ship Recycling Consortium would like to clarify the following.

The Consortium Ship Recycling is taking steps to file suit to unknown for obvious violation of access to the wreck of the Concordia took place, from what can be seen in the video posted on the web in recent days.

The Ship Recycling Consortium emphasizes that the wreck is staff on board even during the night, whose task is the defense of the ship in terms of government systems and systems for the safety of the wreck itself.

A security service 24 hours 24 is present in the sixth head pier for access control area of ​​the yard to the ground.

Following this unfortunate incident, the Consortium Ship Recycling is taking steps to implement the security service staff also positioned at the breakwater where the ship is moored and with the installation of cameras.

press release about a video, seemingly taken aboard the concordia without authorized access. If it's enough to warrant a press release, I'd like to see the video!

I'd say its nothing more than a liability issue, in that it might or might not show violations of Italian occupational and environmental regulations.

http://shiprecycling.it/shipr-recycling-saipem-san-giorgio-del-porto/

I think the following YouTube link is the video they refer to, it would appear that the photos I linked on 15 March also came from this video:

I wonder if Schettino got a back hander. Maybe he had a part in that as well

Sent from my C6903 using Forums mobile app

Much as I'd like to see him involved, most times I've seen this it has been low level crew who can stash stuff in the myriad of void spaces aboard a ship, and no one know better until a search is done. I wonder if the Mob is suing Costa for the lost drugs? :D

Security was clearly not much of an issue it seems for someone to be able to gain access so easily.

With regard to the drugs story the only thing they have to go on is what someone was heard to say on a tape!

In the last two weeks or so there have been drug busts/finds on at least three cruise ships with the most recent being in Malaga a few days ago on another Costa ship. An MSC ship was also raided in i think Brazil where a large amount was also found.

Much as I'd like to see him involved, most times I've seen this it has been low level crew who can stash stuff in the myriad of void spaces aboard a ship, and no one know better until a search is done. I wonder if the Mob is suing Costa for the lost drugs? :D

Not sure if you have seen this one

http://gcaptain.com/illegal-urbex-video-inside-costa-concordia-wreck-super-creepy/

It must have been loaded as food on a pallet then stashed. When boarding there is a lot of pallets on the dock

Not sure if you have seen this one

http://gcaptain.com/illegal-urbex-video-inside-costa-concordia-wreck-super-creepy/

It must have been loaded as food on a pallet then stashed. When boarding there is a lot of pallets on the dock

That's the video linked a few posts up.

It may have come on in a pallet (and there are more than just food pallets loaded weekly), but these tend to be sniffed by dogs in most places (not to say some money couldn't change that), but with hundreds of passengers and crew going through the port gates, and with crew supposedly vetted by the company, the crew are searched a lot less than the stores each week. And we don't know how much it was, just that a tape caught a mobster mentioning it.

• 2 weeks later...

The Costa Concordia life boats appear in this Aug-2013 imagery from Google Earth in Talamone, Italy. http://*******/maps/75SvU

I wonder if they are still there or what happened with them.

Darn it. The board will not let me add the URL. Type goo dot gl/maps/75SvU to view image.

Edited by luisrp

What concerns me is the lack of ability in learning lessons from any disaster involving cruise ships at sea.

I have yet to hear of, or witness any training of launching lifeboats at sea in inclement weather. add darkness and possibly panic and the result is sadly predictable.

we all like to say it will not happen, or 'This is typical of poor command and control' but if we do not train for an event, do not practice for an event that has the possibility of happening, then surely we are asking for too much of those we want to put on trial??

I cannot, and will not defend the indefensible, but I still feel the owners of that company got away EXTREMELY lightly and what lessons have been learnt and what further safety measures have been implemented?

should there be training for lifeboat crews in deploying their craft at sea, at night in inclement weather, or should we wait for the next disaster and then all sit in our comfy armchairs and criticise those on the front line?

Yes the behaviour of that crew may or may not have been of a standard we would expect, but were they were confronted with a situation they were not trained for... Was the ship was moving (being blown by the wind) and if so are crews trained to deploy lifeboats from a ship being blown broadside with the wind??

Yes they should have done much, much, much better.. No arguement, but a large company like Carnival can surely train their boats crews to a much, much higher standard and more to the point... Have the boats on their ships modified so they can be launched safely at sea in poor weather conditions. I am not asking for fare paying passengers to be involved in this training, I am however asking should crews receive training? Are there ships that have reached there sell by date and might be used for industry training purposes?

Just me thinking aloud and hopefully folks will NOT think for one milli-second that I am in anyway defending the conduct of this ship's master. Investigations need to be held into his conduct and perhaps think of a better way to both select commanding officers and then have an ongoing training program to ensure these professional souls are of a standard we all expect.

Has anyone accepted this disaster could have been so, so much worse and but for the intervention of Mother Nature, that ship could have sunk quite quickly with possibly a severe loss of life?

My opinion is that if you put that captain in any other cruise line under similar circumstances the result would have been the same. Life boat design and launching systems are basically the same across the industry and drills seem to be carried out about the same way too. There are some practical issues indoing the type of training you suggest. To have cruise lines do drills in inclement weather is hard because cruise ships try to avoid bad weather as much as possible so you cannot just do that regularly like drills done while in port can. They would need to take out crew members into some ship having the same type of life boat and then go out into inclement weather on purpose.

What I don't know is if there have been any change in the design of life boat launching systems to make them able to launch under greater amount of listing. I know for a fact that in the latest generation of large ships (this started several years before the Concordia disaster) many ships were built with the life boats fully outside the hull. I was on the Carnival Magic in 2011 and noticed this fact. Carnival (Cruise Line) has two other ships with the same design. Norweigan Epic and later NCL ships are also built like this and so is the newest Costa ship (same hull design as the Carnival Magic). Also some of the newest Celebrity ships have this life boat design.

The familiar Micoperi 30 crane ship due to arrive in Giglio tonight.

Thanks for the info Lightman.

Will be interesting to see the purpose of her visit, whether it's for lifting or accommodation or both?

I imagine the Islanders won't be too pleased with her return!.....