Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

• 3 weeks later...

Micoperi 30 lifted the last of the underwater platforms from the seabed at Giglio yesterday, a few more grout bags and anchor blocks still to be lifted to help complete the job of returning the seabed to it's original state:

http://www.giglionews.it/2015/09/20/pulizia-fondali-rimossa-lultima-delle-piattaforme/

In Genoa from what I can make out using the webcam they are nibbling away at 2 decks at a time from both CC's bow and stern towards her middle section.

Might be wrong but I think they have also detached one of the sponsons which looks to be floating/moored up between the tip of CC's bow and the keyside? Saw this yesterday, unfortunately there is a pier crane blocking the view today (Sunday)!

Let me correct my previous post. It is not that S15 was lifted. Actually three of the four starboard tall sponsons (S1, S2 and S14) have been lowered. I just stumbled upon an image of the refloat and noticed that the tall sponsons were originally all the way to the bridge deck (8) but their tops are now at deck 5 level. Can't see the port side sponsons from the Axis214 webcam. May be the ship is sitting on those sponsons and not floating at all?

Edited by luisrp

Let me correct my previous post. It is not that S15 was lifted. Actually three of the four starboard tall sponsons (S1, S2 and S14) have been lowered. I just stumbled upon an image of the refloat and noticed that the tall sponsons were originally all the way to the bridge deck (8) but their tops are now at deck 5 level. Can't see the port side sponsons from the Axis214 webcam. May be the ship is sitting on those sponsons and not floating at all?

Just to complicate things further, it may be that they've cut the top sections of certain sponsons off. If you look at the following from around 1min 20secs there is a barge moored up to the other side of CC's pier/wall with what looks like sections of sponsons? (Could be completely wrong!):

Edited by CTH

Just to complicate things further, it may be that they've cut the top sections of certain sponsons off. If you look at the following from around 1min 20secs there is a barge moored up to the other side of CC's pier/wall with what looks like sections of sponsons? (Could be completely wrong!):

Great find. I think you are correct, it appears they did in fact cut the tops sections off of the port side sponsons.

Good find! We have been missing what is going on at the port side. I have attached two captures from that video. Indeed it looks like the port side sponsons have been cut. Their tops were flat (aside from the attachments and stuff on top of them) and painted white. Their tops went up to deck 8 too and the ship is now visible down to deck 3 on that side.

concordia%201.jpg

concordia%202.jpg

The tops of the tall sponsons were removed starting last month since they do not serve a purpose.

Status update posted on the recycling website 9/24, though it does not mention a whole lot that hasn't already been discussed before. Some of the sponsons will be removed entirely in the coming weeks.

http://shiprecycling.it/stato-di-avanzamento-progetto-smantellamento-e-riciclo-della-concordia/

Edited by lightman1984

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues on removing anchor blocks.

After removal of the 6 platforms that made up the false bottom of which was rotated during the Costa Concordia parbuckling waters of Giglio, go ahead shipped restore operations of the seabed of Punta Gabbianara through the removal of 11 anchor blocks ( restraints of the wreck). To date they have been removed anchor blocks number 3, 4.

The anchor blocks, explain Micoperi from the yard, they are cut with the machine diamond wire below the base of the structure, thus allowing the lifting in one piece of the entire anchor block. Once removed, the divers proceed to manually remove the residual cement and sandbags were at the bottom under the base of the structure. This material was placed to enable sealing the anchor block, during the step of filling the cement inside.

"We are in line with the time schedule - said the Mayor Ortelli - but the most delicate phase will be the next and last one that involves the removal of sediments. All this is expected to close in early 2016, tentatively by the end of February. "

http://www.giglionews.it/2015/10/07/proseguono-senza-sosta-i-lavori-di-ripristino-fondali/#gallery/35700/8589

Ken, seems like it will take as long to remove the platforms as it did to build them. ;)

Been following the latest ship tragedy. Terrible that all on board were lost.

Hope the CG can find the black box to get some answers.

It sure does. I hesitate to see the final bill when all the clean-up and the salvaging of the Costa Concordia is completed.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh wow! Progress in the port side is way ahead of what we see in the starboard side from the web cam. By now (just went to the web cam site a few minutes ago) the bridge is completely gone as is the deck 9 section above it. Only the forward section and mid section (where the tower crane is located) remain of deck 9. There is still the section around the funnel up to deck 11 but they have already begun cutting up deck 8 aft in the starboard side.

• 2 weeks later...

Great link/pics Aplmac, thanks.

Ship Recycling also provided another update yesterday, includes a decent 3 minute video of the 'squelched' section being removed by the white meccano type crane recently:

http://shiprecycling.it/