Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

You, I and 99% of the posters on this thread completely disagree with this guy. But, he is not attempting to hijack this thread and censorship is inapporopritate. If we don't reply or respond, he will eventually disappear into the fog of a mind in need of medication.

Yeah, my bad. :o

Cheng

Not to worry. On a happier note, did you see my earlier post addressed to you and Tonka ?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48564290&postcount=7637

John

I saw it, but I've never been able to get it to open. From the title, it sounds like the monster, articulated, floating hotel that someone started a thread about on the HAL board. Just like all the floating city ideas out there, ain't gonna happen. No one has that much money.

I saw it, but I've never been able to get it to open. From the title, it sounds like the monster, articulated, floating hotel that someone started a thread about on the HAL board. Just like all the floating city ideas out there, ain't gonna happen. No one has that much money.

Kinda like that. But, it's a palace built on a navigable oil rig.

Try this alternate link:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/24/sport/gallery/migaloo-submersible-yacht-floating-island/

Edited by Uniall

Kinda like that. But, it's a palace built on a navigable oil rig.

Try this alternate link:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/24/sport/gallery/migaloo-submersible-yacht-floating-island/

Thanks. Spent way too many years on oil rigs to know that that's not gonna be practical either. Sure it could be built. Where's the machinery? In the hulls? That's where the ballast tanks are, and the vast amounts of fuel it takes to push one of those floating cinder blocks through the ocean at 2-3 knots. I also see what look like "marinas" cut in the legs. The legs are the main structural and flotation members, so no class society will touch that. I'm sure somebody with more money than sense will order one, and it will promptly break up and sink in a storm. :o

So let me see, here is the quote from SOLAS taken from your website:

'the number of openings in watertight bulkheads shall be reduced to a minimum depending on the design of the ship ...; satisfactory means to close the openings shall be provided' (SOLAS II-1.15.1).

So, SOLAS does allow watertight doors, and it therefore falls on the IMO (who oversees SOLAS) and the class societies to determine what the "minimum" number is. And then you clearly state that the IMO has made allowances where doors may be left open. Since the IMO is the governing body of SOLAS, where does this become "illegal"? Your whole argument is false. It may be imprudent in your opinion, but not illegal.

SOLAS allows one watertight door between engine rooms, where one watch keeper may need the door, etc. all subject to HAZOP, risk analysis, requirements that the door is closed at sea, and so on.

SOLAS does not allow 25 watertight doors for an underpaid crew to stroll through at leisure. And not several doors in one bulkhead.

And there must be two means of escape from manned hull compartments, none of which is a watertight door. CC didn't have it. So crew escaped and left the illegal doors open, progressive flooding took place, stability was lost, ship capsized, sank and people drowned.

And it was decided to blame it on the Master.

Edited by Heiwaco

It is a piece of deck #6 being lifted off. The thing is still full of water and cannot float without sponsons and cannot be brought to drydock, etc, etc. http://heiwaco.com/news811.htm

This just proves how wrong you are. I have been following the progress of the salvage and refloat for the whole time thanks to the various webcams that we have been lucky enough to provide a good view since day 1. This particular piece lifted yesterday and shown in my captures is from decks 8 and 9. This is from the base of the funnel and for some reason remained while almost everything else was taken down. It used to include deck 10 also but at some point a few days ago the deck 10 part was taken down (I didn't see that one). And then yesterday I was lucky enough to catch the moment the bigger part was lifted from the wreck. Deck 6 is barely visible from this camera angle because it is about the same level as the support structures of the short sponsons. The forward section (the one that is supposed to fall off) is down to deck 4 and they have even removed the S1 sponson.

This just proves how wrong you are. I have been following the progress of the salvage and refloat for the whole time thanks to the various webcams that we have been lucky enough to provide a good view since day 1. This particular piece lifted yesterday and shown in my captures is from decks 8 and 9. This is from the base of the funnel and for some reason remained while almost everything else was taken down. It used to include deck 10 also but at some point a few days ago the deck 10 part was taken down (I didn't see that one). And then yesterday I was lucky enough to catch the moment the bigger part was lifted from the wreck. Deck 6 is barely visible from this camera angle because it is about the same level as the support structures of the short sponsons. The forward section (the one that is supposed to fall off) is down to deck 4 and they have even removed the S1 sponson.

It may be the camera angle, but it looks like the bow is higher than the stern, so they may not have completed sealing the breach yet, and pumped out the engine rooms. When she was towed from Giglio, I believe she was 8-10 meters lower in the water than the normal waterline. Give the waterlines showing on the sponsons, it looks like they have gained at least 6-8 of those back. It's probably coming to the point where the buoyancy of the sponsons is negated by the weight of the sponson, so I expect to see more of them coming off soon.

Edited by chengkp75

Found this dated Jan 13, 2016. This is a close-up view of what we see in the webcam at about the same angle. The big "COSTA CONCORDIA" sign on the side is at the deck 5 level, for reference.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/the-cruise-ship-costa-concordia-is-dismantled-in-the-port-news-photo/504811300

Edited by luisrp

A comparison using one of the pictures in the link above and a very good picture from its former glory days found in Wikipedia (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Costa_Concordia_in_Palma,_Majorca,_Spain.JPG) I made this side-by-side comparison.

Project6.jpg

The bow thruster symbols visible in the Wikipedia picture are at the deck 0 level and the anchor sits between the deck 1 and 2 level. This means that deck 0 is still flooded or partially flooded (based on chengkp75 observation that the bow is higher than the stern). If they have not yet pumped out the water inside, then decks A and below are still flooded.

Edited by luisrp

Yeah, from the close up, the hawse pocket looks to be about 3-4 meters below normal draft. I would be somewhat surprised if they haven't pumped out as much of the hull as they can, everything forward of the engine rooms (about 7-8 W/T compartments) and 2 W/T compartments aft of the breach. And, they partially sealed the breach before attaching sponsons. They may actually be holding ballast in the sponsons to keep the overall height down to allow the cranes to reach over.

Hello Peeps ... Still some major names still here I see ... :) managed to get up to date on the posts and the pictures and links provided by you guys.

I notice in the last two pictures that they have removed the ship name from the bow.

I recorded a tv programme on Thursday night on BBC Alba UK about the parbuckle and the family of Maria who was one of the last two people still missing, having not watched it yet though I did catch the last few minutes at the end while on air that showed a hole somewhere towards the bow on the starboard side. No idea if anyone else has seen this programme ? when I have time to watch it I will check to see where the hole is located.

Uni ... how is Mrs Uni ? All fixed now I hope.

papcx ... Our team not doing too good!

Hello Peeps ... Still some major names still here I see ... :) managed to get up to date on the posts and the pictures and links provided by you guys.

I notice in the last two pictures that they have removed the ship name from the bow.

I recorded a tv programme on Thursday night on BBC Alba UK about the parbuckle and the family of Maria who was one of the last two people still missing, having not watched it yet though I did catch the last few minutes at the end while on air that showed a hole somewhere towards the bow on the starboard side. No idea if anyone else has seen this programme ? when I have time to watch it I will check to see where the hole is located.

Hi Syd

Sharon Rae (and I) have put our medical issues to rest and are looking forward to great Spring cruises. We're doing the RCI Brilliance 15 day Trans Atlantic from Tampa to Barcelona followed by 12 days round trip Barcelona to Italy (RCI not Costa LOL)

I believe there was some cracking right forward, most likely in the forepeak ballast tank area. I believe this is why the forward most sponsons were tied together through the thruster tunnels, and also some extra cabling under the bow, to keep it from cracking more (or falling off if you believe someone here).

Uni ... Good to hear you guys are fixed, we loved the Brilliance when we sailed on it also around the Med.

Papcx ... Hard to believe most people can see what LVG refuses to! that he is the problem. I see you have been giving RCI a bash, if Harmony is as good as Oasis you will enjoy it.

Cheng ... Will post it up when I have had a chance to view the programme.

Edited by sidari