Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

From Giglio News:

"Well Titan-Micoperi but nobody touches platforms"

With reference to the news published in the press on yesterday on the assignment of cleaning the bottoms of the Consortium Titan - Micoperi, The National Association of Memorial Concordia seeks to clarify certain points which it deems crucial.

In the given situation there are two levels of intervention. The first is the removal of concrete mattresses and various pollutants, and trash left on the bottom of the Consortium Titan - Micoperi himself, due to his work in the yard of the removal of the Costa Concordia. The second cleaning "end" date from the shedding of debris, furniture, bags and various materials distributed by the ship hit the seabed in its final route and other pollution from 'improvident decay of biological material topicale, lost from the hulls of the means of work Consortium on the platform to Giglio and dropped to the bottom.

A distinction would become part of a proper design of the interventions since it is obvious that, while the first operation belongs to an organization of industrial type, which in our opinion, as it is public money, it should also answer the damage caused during the execution the work of removing the wreck, the second should be left to a more extensive and prolonged.

Our proposal to involve the volunteer of the underwater world of sports this second phase, it would become an occasion not to be missed which would allow elements of participation, widespread growth of expertise and wide distribution of part of the resources made available by Costa Cruises, to the people of Giglio, associations and sports clubs divers local and national, who already have extensive experience of cleaning up the waters in their territories, and to local businesses catering, sleeps and how many other businesses of the City of 'island of Giglio, even with the benefit of the loyalty of large groups of visitors to the island.

The National Association of Memorial Concordia invites all get good deal, to act with the utmost transparency, to fully inform the public about the real conditions of the contract, and remembers the previously announced September 29: "Whoever wishes to touch the structures we protected will have to deal personally with the judiciary that will bring harm to the environment, the economy of the City of Giglio and the National for the next fifty years. "

We basically need to open a debate with the "Coordinator for the activities of environmental restoration of the Lily", appointed by the Government, from whom expect a response to our specific request of 19 October last, you can build projects for participation and sharing protection the platforms.

I found this video which has some footage from inside the ship showing workers actually cleaning out the ship. Looks pretty messy. I figured we would sooner or later see some type of footage from inside the ship despite any type of ongoing search, or anything like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmDvUBN_0Hs

I found this video which has some footage from inside the ship showing workers actually cleaning out the ship. Looks pretty messy. I figured we would sooner or later see some type of footage from inside the ship despite any type of ongoing search, or anything like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmDvUBN_0Hs

As I said before, since this is still in the toxic waste clean-up stage, I'll bet that the contractor is severely controlling camera access, so that their methods and remediation measures cannot be called to account later.

As I said before, since this is still in the toxic waste clean-up stage, I'll bet that the contractor is severely controlling camera access, so that their methods and remediation measures cannot be called to account later.

Great point.

Body of missing crewman found.

Nov 3 (Reuters) - A corpse found in the wreck of the Costa Concordia is thought to be that of the last person unaccounted for almost three years after the luxury liner sank, Italy's coast guard said on Monday.

Russel Rebello, an Indian who worked as a waiter on the ship when it hit rocks and sank off the Tuscan coast in January 2012, killing 32 people, had been the only person missing after the disaster whose body has not yet been found.

A Coast Guard spokeswoman in the northern port city of Genoa, where the 290-metre-long (957-foot-long) hulk was towed for scrap in July, told Reuters a body found on the ship was "assumed to be the last victim, Russel Rebello."

In August, authorities announced they had found remains on the ship and would test them to see if they belonged to Rebello. Italian media later reported that those remains were determined to be lamb bones.

The sinking of the Concordia, a floating hotel as long as three football pitches laid end-to-end, prompted a chaotic night-time evacuation and one of the largest maritime salvage operations in history. (Reporting by Isla Binnie; Editing by Mark Heinrich)

Edited by Ken711

Well found Ken.

Lets hope for the sake of the Rubello family that this means closure of a terrible period of their lives and they can start to recover. His brother especially deserves praise for the way he has always believed his brother would be found and that he could take his remains home.

Rest in Peace Russel

Edited by clive and anne

Ken and Clive, this certainly will be a relief for Russel's family and finally allow them some closure.

Clive, yes, his brother had his prayers answered.

In another story I read they mentioned Russel was found on Deck 8, which surprised me (unless that was a typo.)

In this link that I found about Russel there is also a little update on the trial.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2014/11/03/Body-of-last-Costa-Concordia-victim-found/4491415029103/

Edited by SomeBeach

tHi SB

I have just found this from Russel's brother Kevin on a facebook page he started for his brother.

Costa Concordia after 1025 days.I promised my family that I will bring back home my brother some day. When was the biggest question, I had no answer to. Finall My younger brother Russel Rebello body has finally been found on deck 8 in a cabin of the wrecked Concordia, who guarded him for more that 1025 days. I dont have words to express. Just My pain my tears, my heart pounding harder and my body trembling, when i Broke the news to my parents a while ago, who now wll have a sigh of relief, thier constant prayers have been heard. Thanks to everyone who prayed and believed that one day he would be found. The Italian Civil Protection Agency and Costa Cruises Care Division this noon confirmed to me of the finding by the Ship Recycling agency working on the Ship. Many friends and people who I came acorss in this adventure to Finding Russel are happy that my brother has been found. Everyones prayers have been fulfilled. Now we wait for the DNA test and the procedures to give Russel his final resting place with honour, respect and a HEROS welcome. India we are coming.

— with Russel Rebello

Edited by clive and anne

Here is another link with some more details:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/last-body-missing-from-costa-concordia-wreck-located-1.1986446

Divers and rescue personnel have long suspected that Mr Rebello’s body was still on the ship, conjecturing that he ended up being trapped because he had stayed behind to help panicked and frightened passengers get off the sinking vessel.

Today’s discovery would appear to support this theory since his body was found trapped under heavy furniture on that side of the ship which rested on the rocky sea floor in shallow water just 150 yards from the Giglio shoreline.

Your link mentions the clothes that Russel would have been wearing. Another story mentions an ID.

"The body was discovered by workers clearing debris from the ship in a passenger's cabin on the eighth deck, said Carabinieri commander Capt. Massimo Pittaluga. He said the victim was wearing a shirt that contained an identification card for missing crew member Russel Rebello."

Clive, I found that FB page too.

Russel's brother Kevin posted an update on his FB page.

"UPDATE CONCORDIA : Visiting Genoa tomorrow, have been granted a meeting with the Genova Port Authorities. They will update me on the Process, Progress Procedures and Period Necessary to take Russel Rebello on his final journey home in Mumbai, India. So far I have no more updates."

He also has some pix of the room his brother was found in posted.

You can access the page through the link Clive provided a few posts up from this one.

Just posing a question. Does anyone, especially our legal wizards have a opinon on whether the 36 years jail sentence, the Korean Ferry Captain received (and rightfully so), have any effect on the court case and any sentence the Captain of the Concordia may receive?

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Just posing a question. Does anyone' date=' especially our legal wizards have a opinon on whether the 36 years jail sentence, the Korean Ferry Captain received (and rightfully so), have any effect on the court case and any sentence the Captain of the Concordia may receive?

AKK[/quote']

Hi Skipper

Just back from the best cruise we've ever taken. The entire crew of NCL's Sun, from the Captain, Hotel Dirctor, Executive Chef, Restaurant Manager, on down to our cabin steward provided the best service we've experienced in over 30 cruises. I'll stop my crowing and try to answer your question.

The stiff sentence meted out by the Korean courts should have no effect at all on any sentencing by the Italian courts. The two legal systems have no commonality whatsoever. Eastern justice has been harsher than its werstern counterpart for thousands of years. Hitorically, the only time of documented convergence may have been the Code of Hammurabi (circ 1700 BC) Thereafter, the philisophical underpinnings of the eastern and western civilizations began to split. The east was built from the top down collective and the west built from the bottom up individual. Their legal systems still reflect that difference in philospophy.

Edited by Uniall

Latest news on the underwater platforms:

State Bar: "Get rid of the platforms!"

Written by: Ilaria Bonucelli, Il Tirreno November 12, 2014 in News 4 Comments

State Bar: "Get rid of the platforms!"

"The platforms must be removed." The bottom of Giglio must go on as before the wreck of the Concordia. The opinion of the Attorney Florence State leaves no doubt confirms the position taken by the Ministry of Environment in the spring, when there was still to decide on the destination port of the wreck of the Costa. The ship - the ministry wrote in its opinion, accompanied by requirements - could be transferred to Genoa, as long as Costa eliminate the platforms of metal, almost as big as two football fields, on which had been lying for more than two years, the Concordia.

Platform 2 removal costa concordia island lily giglionewsCarried away the wreckage, opened a debate on whether to keep these platforms. Even as a "memorial" of the event. Even the city council of Isola del Giglio approved an agenda to encourage the maintenance of platforms.

The Attorney General, however, feeds more than one legal doubts about this place. According to EU legislation, it looks like it is necessary to completely eliminate the consequences of damage (also to avoid any complaints or procedures by the European Union); Second, if the removal was determined with a procedure developed at the Conference of the services (the one who identified the final destination of the wreck), can not be an agenda of a city council to change your selection. It is necessary that decision to the contrary - the maintenance of the diving platforms - is always decided by the Conference of service. It would take even a decision of the Centre regional monitoring the work of environmental restoration to Lily that meets today in Florence, in the region, to assess the work that will begin in a few days. The contract, in fact, was entrusted by Coast to Micoperi, Ravenna company that will work closely with the US company Titan with which it has already done and rigalleggiamento recovery of the wreck.

There is, however, to note that the opinion of the Attorney - sent a few days ago the ministry - is not binding. The final decision on the position to be taken that it is for the requested advice on the platforms. And in recent months, thanks Avvocatura, it was also claimed damages for environmental damage in the ongoing process for the sinking del12 January 2012. Other government departments have been set up plaintiffs for damage to the image and the damage because of the disaster of the Concordia: these include the Coast Guard and the Presidency of the Council. Just think, for example, the costs incurred for the mobilization of civil protection. In this regard, Costa presented a draft transaction from which, however, excludes the costs incurred by the State for the transport of Concord by Lily in Genoa. The objective is to find a shipowner settled out of court (which is excluded from the image damage) and obtain the revocation of a civil government servants. The agreement, however, appears far. The reputational damage is not yet defined and, in any case, would be paid by way of "fairness" being difficult to calculate on objective parameters.

Hey there Buddy,

Glad you had a great trip!

Thanks for the legal review.

I was thinking more toward the idea the Italian court may feel pressure to give the Concordia Captain a longer sentence after the 36 years the Korean Captain recieved?......Think they may feel any pressure?

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Hey there Buddy' date='

Glad you had a great trip!

Thanks for the legal review.

I was thinking more toward the idea the Italian court may feel pressure to give the Concordia Captain a longer sentence after the 36 years the Korean Captain recieved?......Think they may feel any pressure?

AKK[/quote']

Skipper

I don't think the Korean sentencing will have any impact on Italian judges. I think the biigest motivator on the Italian judges for a stiff sentence will be the national embarrassment that people died in Italian waters on an Italian ship at the hnds of a cowardly Italian Captain.

A video about the demolition. It is in Italian but I could grab that the operation will last 21-22 months and that the first phase will last until about January next year. They are now mostly recovering recyclable materials such as metals and glass. Next phase will involve the actual removal of the top decks. They talk about getting the wreck later into an inner pier or something, whatever "bacino" means and removal of the caissons.

http://www.themeditelegraph.com/en/shipping/2014/10/29/concordia-iniziati-lavori-smantellamento-riciclo-jeEj7vKlo7QnaotuIdUVfP/index.html