Liberty of the Seas - a life lost

any further update on possible causes of this terrible accident? We sailed on Freedom of the Seas a few weeks ago and the marble stairs leading down from the promendae into the arcadia theatre were pretty dicey, with some ship movement, lots of people, etc.

Wonder if litigation will cause the cruiselines to re-think the design/material of these stairs.

Ship movement + slippery and steep stairs + alcohol = dangerous falls.

• 5 months later...
I was just searching for articles on the liberty and I saw this article and the posts. Does anyone know how or why this poor woman fell?? Has rccl done anything about the glass and marble staircase at the catacombs where this occurred?

Her blood alcohol content was off the charts which lead to her falling. I think as she was walking down the stairs she passed out. I didn't see her try to prevent the fall. I still think about her. It was a terrible thing to have happen. I don't know if the cruise line has done anything.

Her blood alcohol content was off the charts which lead to her falling. I think as she was walking down the stairs she passed out. I didn't see her try to prevent the fall. I still think about her. It was a terrible thing to have happen. I don't know if the cruise line has done anything.

No, they haven't changed those stairs. And, honestly, why should they? The woman was drunker than she should have been and had an accident. :confused:

And you know this how?

And you know this how?

Because I was standing at the bottom of the stairs and watched her fall to her death. We spoke to the detective the next day. We questioned if we could have done something to change the outcome. It is very sad but it was an alcohol related accident. I'll never forget but at least I can close my eyes and not see her however she flashes into my head often. She died an hour later and we were a few hours from port.

Archived