Liberty of the Seas - a life lost

I broke my ankle last July and even though I can walk almost normally finally, when going up and down stairs I hold on to the bannister with a death grip. This terrible incident just validates my trepidation.

I did the same thing a few years ago while on vacation - severe enough to land me in the local hospital for several days. To lose a life because of a similar misstep is just so tragic. I learned of this terrible accident today from a family member who was with her group. My prayers go out to her family, friends & colleagues.

I broke my ankle last July and even though I can walk almost normally finally, when going up and down stairs I hold on to the bannister with a death grip. This terrible incident just validates my trepidation.

I also fell in August and busted my ankle up good, still not healed (and that was just walking the dog...and on the 3rd day of vacation) ...so I understand how a simple fall can lead to sad ending.... like alexkrn46 said...a lot can change in a second.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

I had the miss-fortune of reading the earlier theard on this and would like to thank the OP and others for a much kinder set of words and remarks.

Best,

I am curious to know how it happened. I was telling my mom and she was wondering if it was one of those glass like stairs. They can be very slippery, especially if you have high heels on. I tripped new years eve after having a few on the allure last year. I only got a bruise.

I haven't been on many cruises and twice already have seen people fall down the stairs. I remember thinking "Wow, someone could really get hurt on those stairs!". Scary how right I was. That poor woman and her family.

The first person I saw fall down the stairs happened when we were waiting to enter the MDR. The water was really choppy and the ship swayed suddenly and this guy (20s or so) looked like he actually flew through the air and landed on the ground right by my feet, down about 7-8 steps. He landed on his hands and I thought for sure he's broken one of them. He was fine, though. Made a joke that he's never felt so drunk in his life and he didn't even have a thing to drink! So there was no alcohol involved, just a little disorientation from choppy waters and a swaying ship.

We were on this cruise. We just got of Liberty this morning and as we were disembarking, other passengers mentioned that they were awakened around 3am by the ship PA system calling "ALPHA, ALPHA!", which I was told is reserved for serious medical emergencies. We wondered at the time if the person involved this emergency call was ok, and I'm so sad to read the news that she passed away.

The ride home was incredibly smooth, so my guess would be that this accident was not caused by rocking of the ship. Some of the stairs in the promenade area are beautiful white marble-looking material and were pretty slick, especially in dress shoes. I remember thinking how easy it would be to slip.

Our hearts and prayers go out to this family.

When we were on the Explorer, we witnessed a man have a heart attack and die. It was awful. So very sad.

I can't even begin to imagine how frightening that would be. How do you deal with it when you are on a ship? I mean, how can you, in that context, deal with witnessing something like that? I would think that is a scary thing to see no matter where you are but really that is the last thing you expect on your vacation. I don't know how I could handle that. Does the ship offer anything for the unfortunate witnesses of tragedies like this? So, so very sad for just everyone.

First and foremost, my condolences to the family of the lady who lost her life.

I have sailed on the Freedom Of The Seas, a sister ship to the Liberty.

I noticed that there was a staircase that would not pass code here in the USA.

The top step was not at the same height as the rest of the stairs. I can't remember which staircase, but I think it was one of the curved stair cases that is in the atrium area.

I commented to my family that the staircase is a hazard and was surprise no one has been seriously hurt falling down.

Anyone else notice this, what I see as a design flaw?

Respectfully yours,

-Tutankhamen

Yes, there was a thread where people said some very insensitive things. Others pointed it out and then others defended the insensitive remarks.

Fortunately the entire thread has since been deleted so that no one has to read how insensitive some people are.

I just don't get what insensitive things anyone could say? The lady slipped and fell. How could anyone find anything insensitive to say about that? Sometimes people are just plain "strange." Maybe looking for something wrong where there was only an accident and sadness :confused:

This is in the local paper this morning - it happened leaving the Catacombs. Those stairs are steep!

MIDDLEBORO —

Tanya V. Trzeci served for several years with Barbara A. Wood on the board of directors for the town library’s Friends group.

So she was shocked and saddened to hear that Wood, 47, of Middleboro, had died after falling down stairs early Monday while on a five-day Royal Caribbean cruise.

“My God, she was so young,” Trzeciak said. “She helped organize and run (library) book sales.”

According to the Broward County, Fla., sheriff’s office, the incident occurred about 1:48 a.m. Monday.

A press release from the sheriff’s office said Wood was leaving the Liberty of the Seas’ Catacombs nightclub on the last night of a five-day cruise when she slipped on steps, fell down the stairs and hit her head. She was taken to the infirmary and pronounced dead at 2:50 a.m.

According to town records, Wood lived with her husband, Lorenzo Wood VI, 50, and at least two children, Lorenzo VII, 20 and Erica M., 18.

Wood’s family was very civic-minded, Trzeciak said. Her mother-in-law, Becky Wood, also served on the Friends’ board and her late father-in-law, Lorenzo Wood, worked at the Old Colony YMCA in Middleboro.

Susan Okolita, associate executive director at the YMCA, also talked about the family’s involvement in the community.

“This is so tragic,” said Okolita.

Barbara Wood was the daughter of Joanne M. and David M. Freidenfeld.

“She was a very helpful volunteer, a genuinely nice person,” Middleboro Public Library Director Danielle Bowker said Monday. “This was a tragic accident. My heart goes out to her mother, Joanne.”

Bowker said Wood was raised in Middleboro and her late father-in-law was the former publisher of the Middleboro Gazette.

Broward County sheriff’s office deputies met the cruise ship when it docked at 5 a.m. Monday at Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale.

The Broward County medical examiner’s office was to conduct an autopsy to determine the official cause and manner of Barbara Wood’s death. Investigators did not suspect foul play. Wood’s death appeared to be accidental, the sheriff said.

It always amazes me how fragile the human body can be at times and at others, so strong and durable. All it takes is one little stumble and someone could be gone. It could happen going down your own stairs at home just as easily as on a cruise ship. Or anywhere for that matter. That's one reason why we cruise, you could be gone tomorrow in a flash so we plan to enjoy life to its fullest before it happens. Hopefully, she, he and their family and friends were having the time of their lives when these tragic accidents occurred.:(

I can't even begin to imagine how frightening that would be. How do you deal with it when you are on a ship? I mean, how can you, in that context, deal with witnessing something like that? I would think that is a scary thing to see no matter where you are but really that is the last thing you expect on your vacation. I don't know how I could handle that. Does the ship offer anything for the unfortunate witnesses of tragedies like this? So, so very sad for just everyone.

We left the lounge and went and sat on the pool deck. I needed air. We prayed for his wife. It was heartbreaking.

She was traveling with a large group, and they did have a gathering for them the next day. But I didn't hear of anything else.

I just don't get what insensitive things anyone could say? The lady slipped and fell. How could anyone find anything insensitive to say about that? Sometimes people are just plain "strange." Maybe looking for something wrong where there was only an accident and sadness :confused:

Without going into full details, the words "not a big deal" were used.

Such a sad and tragic incident. Prayers to family and friends of this woman, and to those who had to experience the incident onboard.

I saw this link yesterday and commented on our roll call thread for the 10/29/11 Liberty TA that some of us witnessed a woman tumbling hard down the stairs during disembarkatioin in Fort Lauderdale. Fortunately she was OK, a bit shook up and probably her pride hurt more than anything - it could have been a lot worse. Was disturbiing to see this, but so thankful she wasn't hurt.

Again, condolences to all impacted by this tragedy.

When I was 13 I went on an Alaskan cruise where the average age was 80, and 3 people died during that voyage. I remember being in my cabin and hearing "starlight, starlight in the showboat lounge." And as a curious 13 yr old went to the showboat lounge only to walk in and see the entire watching as the staff did CPR on an elderly man, who had recently undergone a triple bypass.

Does anyone know where the location of the staircase was?

A couple of the earlier links to some articles suggested the incident occurred outside the Catacomb disco place. The specific staircases were not mentioned.

Archived