Can you do "anytime dining" if you're signed up for early/late dining?

lissvarna

If something is going on on the ship during your assigned dining time, can you do "anytime dining" instead for that night?

Again, simple answer is no.

We asked about this one night and were told that sometimes they will accomodate platinum guests at anytime (YTD) dining on a one night basis. We checked with the YTD Host - the answer was sorry not even for platinum folks.

MTD (actually its Your Time Dining) do not have to prepay our tips. I've selected this option since YTD has been available and I never prepay tips. Tips usually show up on my S&S bill on about day 2. On some shorter cruises and definately on CTN's you are required to prepay tips.

If you have your time dining, you must pre pay your tips when you make final payment. When you get your final invoice, your tips will be added. You don't have them show up on your S&S card on the ship.

Now, I may have this confused with Royal, but I believe if you do YTD on any line, you are pre paying gratuities.

One night we waited about 30 minutes. Most nights were around 15. I think one night we might have even been taken right away but I cannot recall.

The very last night of the cruise, we waited an hour and a half. Well an hour and 18 minutes to be exact. The little bar right next to the Crimson was stuffed with ATD people waiting to be seated. (I figure people were all packing their stuff and it delayed the people that normally ate earlier) or something... I have no idea. But it was bad. And the waiters were in the weeds hardcore that night.

But, we still enjoyed ourselves. It was an exception to the rule and I never waited that long on previous cruises either. Just that one night.

Wow, brutal. I can only imagine there must have been some big debacle or disaster that night.

If you have your time dining, you must pre pay your tips when you make final payment. When you get your final invoice, your tips will be added. You don't have them show up on your S&S card on the ship.

Now, I may have this confused with Royal, but I believe if you do YTD on any line, you are pre paying gratuities.

Incorrect. You must be confused with RCL. ATD tips are treated exactly as if you had set time dining, no different.

The only time you prepay tips on CCL is for 1/2 night cruises to nowhere.

Wow, brutal. I can only imagine there must have been some big debacle or disaster that night.

Actually, we all handled it well, despite starving. We were all in the bar next to the Crimson and the big screen TV in there was on and they were broadcasting a Beyonce concert and everyone was watching it.

This really old (maybe upper 80's) white man in a wheelchair asked someone to help him turn around so he could watch because he thought she was hot. Haha. It was funny.

That's the chance you take with dining anytime is that there might be a night where everyone has the same brilliant idea to go at the exact same time. It probably happens pretty rarely but such is life.

100% incorrect.

This is true on Royal Carribean, it is NOT true on Carnival. We had YTD on our Imagination cruise just a few weeks ago and did not have to do this, nor have I heard of anyone else here being forced to do it. It is not true on HAL either, by the way, which we are booked on for the summer and have selected Open Seating.

Thanks for the replies.

It seems to me like it shouldn't be a big deal if a couple who is assigned early dining, for example, has a night where they need a nap after coming in from port, and wants to go later.

I like "assigned" dining times in general, because it gives us a schedule for the day, but I feel like it should be flexible without having to do 100% "anytime" dining.

Also, where else can you find the MDR selections? I've always eaten there for dinner. I think if we were to miss our dining time, I'd rather have room service than the buffet. Are MDR selections available that way?

Unfortunately, if you want to be flexible, you have to go with YTD. You still have other options if you want to eat late but the MDR isn't one of them. You can't order MDR meals from room service, just sandwiches, salads, and some desserts. The buffet often has the same food, though not necessarily all of the MDR menu items from that day will appear in the buffet.

The reason you can't do this is because MTD patrons pre pay their tips, since there is no guarantee that you will be seated with the same wait staff each night. So if you're in traditional dining, and you're running late from an excursion, and you go to eat in the MTD dining room, you're being served by people not getting a gratuity. You cannot switch between options on a nightly basis.

I have heard that the buffet will often have some of the main dining room options available. I have never done dinner in the buffet, so others may have more information.

Sorry, I have to disagree ... we are confirmed for Anytime Dining and I opted NOT to prepay. So, people prepay their tips on personal preference and that's all.

This is true on Royal Carribean, it is NOT true on Carnival. We had YTD on our Imagination cruise just a few weeks ago and did not have to do this, nor have I heard of anyone else here being forced to do it. It is not true on HAL either, by the way, which we are booked on for the summer and have selected Open Seating.

Wasn't mandatory on Princess five years ago either -- we did Anytime Dining on that cruise as well.

Don't listen to some of these people who have only been on a Carnival Cruise 1 Time! I would recommend trying too call your travel agent you booked with or if you booked on the Carnival website call them and try to get it set up :)

Enjoy your cruise!

Matthew!

What the OP is asking for, a TA CANNOT set up. They don't want to completely switch their dining preference. They want to have assigned seating for most nights and to have the option to "walk in" for anytime dining on other nights.

Nobody would ever guarantee that they could do this up front. Anytime dining, I believe is wait listed for the OP's sailing (not sure about this.. think I remember the OP saying it though).

Don't listen to some of these people who have only been on a Carnival Cruise 1 Time! I would recommend trying too call your travel agent you booked with or if you booked on the Carnival website call them and try to get it set up

Don't listen to some of these people who don't read, or can't comprehend, the original post.

No TA can allow someone to have ATD for one evening. Particularly when the OP isn't even sure which evening or if they'll actually need it. :rolleyes:

... since there is no guarantee that you will be seated with the same wait staff each night...

This statement is not valid at all. The reason you don't have to prepay tips is that your gratuities are assigned to the team that serves you. This is one reason why you have to show your sail and sign card at the desk before being seated and the second reason for showing the card is to make sure you are assigned to ATD

OP wanted to know if the could switch dining times so they could attend an event Carnival was offering during fixed seating times.

Carnival tends to schedule welcome aboard parties and welcome back parties during the latter half of early seating. Obvious reasons why they do this.

If Carnival scheduled the parties properly so fixed seating guests could attend then there would be less desire to switch dining times for one night.

we booked Anytime dining and are waitlisted. Lets just say they are booked (which I know a good chance) and assign us to one. I do not want to be assigned to one for sure. My question is, can I say I do not want to be assigned any and then take off the MDR tips and disperse to others on ship? In past I have chose anytime dining but honestly, used twice at most on 7 day cruise. I don't actually like to take longer than hour to eat a meal. Just my preference and I will play by the rules, but there are also many more that make my cruise experince great and would love to give them that portion. By the way, I always tip those people more anyway.

That doesn't mean the answer is yes. You just had a maitre'd go above and beyond for you .

I can assure you if 100 people made the same request, there would have been a very different outcome.

Agreed. My point is that it is not a definitive 'no' because at this point I have asked for a single night on 2 different cruises and they allowed it.

So, to OP, let me clarify - While it is not a 100% 'no' it is going to depend very much on how many people are participating in any time dining and what availability the Maitre D thinks there will be. As I mentioned (or did I?) the Maitre Ds did not say 'yes' initially they told me to check with them when I was ready to eat, so it probably had a lot to do with how busy they were that particular night. Also, both times was for later port calls, so there were a number of people eating dinner ashore, which also may have made a difference.

Bottom line: It does not hurt to ask, but be prepared to eat at any of the other several dining choices that night in case the answer is 'no'.

OK now I am confused. This is my first time cruising on Carnival. I have cruised on NCL before. I was told we would be charged $11.50 pp each day. Which is fine. We have the early dining time. I assumed that a portion would be allocated to the MDR and that we would only have to tip at the end of the cruise if we felt our waitstaff went above and beyond. Since I have an assigned seating do we still get charged $11.50? Which is ok, do not attack me LOL I know it goes to other behind the scene staff members.

If yes, then do we tip the MDR waitstaff? On NCL we usually left $5 at the end of the meal if we ate in the MDR. Nothing if we ate in the Buffet. Is this the same for Carnival?

If no, how do we tip? This is the first time we have sailed where we were assigned a time.

I like the idea of being charged the $11.50 and then I only tip out to staff who I have had personal contact with.

Geneology,

You will be have the $11.50 pp per day service charge(tip)automatically added to your ship "Sign and Sail" card. This amount will be distributed to various people, room steward, dining staff, and couple others. The ship will distribute the right amount due each person. You won't have to think or worry about it. This automatic amount is all you have to do. You don't "owe" anyone else another dime. However, if a particular person, or persons, goes above and beyond in giving you excellent service, while you sail. You may wish to slip them a bit extra at the end of the cruise. This is entirely up to you, and how you feel you were treated. It is in no way obligatory. Have a great cruise.

OK now I am confused. This is my first time cruising on Carnival. I have cruised on NCL before. I was told we would be charged $11.50 pp each day. Which is fine. We have the early dining time. I assumed that a portion would be allocated to the MDR and that we would only have to tip at the end of the cruise if we felt our waitstaff went above and beyond. Since I have an assigned seating do we still get charged $11.50? Which is ok, do not attack me LOL I know it goes to other behind the scene staff members.

If yes, then do we tip the MDR waitstaff? On NCL we usually left $5 at the end of the meal if we ate in the MDR. Nothing if we ate in the Buffet. Is this the same for Carnival?

If no, how do we tip? This is the first time we have sailed where we were assigned a time.

I like the idea of being charged the $11.50 and then I only tip out to staff who I have had personal contact with.

You do not have to leave a tip anywhere, above the $11.50 pp/pd that you automatically get charged, unless you don't wish to. The exception to this is kids club staff, if you use that service, since they are not part of the tip pool.

Just so you know for future reference, this is true on NCL, too. NCL also charges $12 pp/pd and nothing is required anywhere else with them either, unless you wish to leave something. Kids club staff, butler, and concierge (if you are in a suite) excepted. Even if you eat in one of their specialty restuarants, a tip is not required above the surcharge unless you wish to leave one.

If something is going on on the ship during your assigned dining time, can you do "anytime dining" instead for that night?

If you elect to eat in the main dining room you must go at your assigned time, you cannot switch between your assigned time and "any time" on a day by day basis. You may always eat at the lido buffet or the specialty restaurants,

Archived