Can you do "anytime dining" if you're signed up for early/late dining?

lissvarna

If something is going on on the ship during your assigned dining time, can you do "anytime dining" instead for that night?

Log into your 'My Cruise' account at Carnival.com, and edit your dining option to the one you want..It will tell you whether or not the anytime dining is available. Many people are waitlisted for certain times (depending on popularity), and it would free up a table.

If you don't have access to your account, contact the company you booked with and have them change it if it's possible.

Or do room service. Ahhh there are so many options beyond the MDR that you will be just fine! But check the menu's and see if they are something you definately want to eat then weigh the options of whether or not you want to miss the entertainment or the food. Its all up to you!!

The answer is maybe. If ATD is unavailable to change on Carnival's site, go to the Maitre' D once on board

and ask if you can change. Thats what we did on the Pride. (ATD wasn't available by the time we booked.)

We were told it would be fine, starting the 2nd night. Worked out great.:)

If something is going on on the ship during your assigned dining time, can you do "anytime dining" instead for that night?

The only way you can to anytime dining is if you are signed up for it, the whole cruise. You cant do it any random night during the week, if you have late or early set dining. As others have said, there a lots of other options such as buffet, deli, room service, and others depending on the ship.

The only way you can to anytime dining is if you are signed up for it, the whole cruise. You cant do it any random night during the week, if you have late or early set dining. As others have said, there a lots of other options such as buffet, deli, room service, and others depending on the ship.

Oooops. Sorry, misread post. You are right.:o

Thanks for the replies.

It seems to me like it shouldn't be a big deal if a couple who is assigned early dining, for example, has a night where they need a nap after coming in from port, and wants to go later.

I like "assigned" dining times in general, because it gives us a schedule for the day, but I feel like it should be flexible without having to do 100% "anytime" dining.

Also, where else can you find the MDR selections? I've always eaten there for dinner. I think if we were to miss our dining time, I'd rather have room service than the buffet. Are MDR selections available that way?

Thanks for the replies.

It seems to me like it shouldn't be a big deal if a couple who is assigned early dining, for example, has a night where they need a nap after coming in from port, and wants to go later.

I like "assigned" dining times in general, because it gives us a schedule for the day, but I feel like it should be flexible without having to do 100% "anytime" dining.

Also, where else can you find the MDR selections? I've always eaten there for dinner. I think if we were to miss our dining time, I'd rather have room service than the buffet. Are MDR selections available that way?

The reason you can't do this is because MTD patrons pre pay their tips, since there is no guarantee that you will be seated with the same wait staff each night. So if you're in traditional dining, and you're running late from an excursion, and you go to eat in the MTD dining room, you're being served by people not getting a gratuity. You cannot switch between options on a nightly basis.

I have heard that the buffet will often have some of the main dining room options available. I have never done dinner in the buffet, so others may have more information.

The reason you can't do this is because MTD patrons pre pay their tips, since there is no guarantee that you will be seated with the same wait staff each night. So if you're in traditional dining, and you're running late from an excursion, and you go to eat in the MTD dining room, you're being served by people not getting a gratuity. You cannot switch between options on a nightly basis.

I have heard that the buffet will often have some of the main dining room options available. I have never done dinner in the buffet, so others may have more information.

I thought tips of $11.50 a day were automatically added to you onboard account in any case. We're waitlisted for MTD and confirmed for late seating. I don't really expect it to be confirmed but if it is at the last minute how would we prepay tips?

DH and I originally requested early dining. We were waitlisted for that. A call by DH to Carnival resulted in him finding out we were inked for late dining (which he doesn't really want, but that's what afternoon naps are for). A week or so later I checked the site and it showed all three options as "waitlisted." It occured to me that someone signing up for the cruise at a late date would have no dining options at all. How does that work? Are they space-available? Find out which dining they have when they board?

(Sorry for the hijack. I was trying to start a new thread and messed up.)

Once there are a certain number of confirmed assignments made everything gets waitlisted because Platinum guesst have guaranteed dining time selections so they waitlist everything until the last minute to give the Platinums room should they book late.

MTD (actually its Your Time Dining) do not have to prepay our tips. I've selected this option since YTD has been available and I never prepay tips. Tips usually show up on my S&S bill on about day 2. On some shorter cruises and definately on CTN's you are required to prepay tips.

Thanks for the replies.

In addition to the tip issue (how they're allocated), they only have a certain amount of space available for ATD. If half the early diners decided to nap after a port and do ATD, it would be a mess.

MDR items are not available through room service on Carnival. Room service is snacks and sandwiches.

I disagree with the others that posted here. I have, on occasion, requested a different dining time on Carnival and been allowed to do it.

In my case I asked the Maitre D the night before. He said he could not guaranty it, but to check with him the next evening, and if there was space available, he would accommodate me. Both cruises I asked, I was able to go - possibly because I did not go at a peak time. I also ended up tipping the Maitre D because that would be an 'above and beyond' action.

I disagree with the others that posted here. I have, on occasion, requested a different dining time on Carnival and been allowed to do it.

In my case I asked the Maitre D the night before. He said he could not guaranty it, but to check with him the next evening, and if there was space available, he would accommodate me. Both cruises I asked, I was able to go - possibly because I did not go at a peak time. I also ended up tipping the Maitre D because that would be an 'above and beyond' action.

That doesn't mean the answer is yes. You just had a maitre'd go above and beyond for you .

I can assure you if 100 people made the same request, there would have been a very different outcome.

Thanks for the replies.

There are only so many ATD tables available, and they are reserved for those who actually signed up for ATD. If you want a more flexable schedule, do ATD in the first place.

And I have seen MANY folks show up in the ATD line and say "we have early dining and missed it, can we just come in at 7pm?" And told, sorry, please go to the buffet.

ATD has become so popular that it seems to always be the first one to be waitlisted these days.

We did ATD on our Dream cruise and we had to wait almost every night to be seated (between 15 minutes and an hour and a half on the worst night.)

The Early seating and late seating have assigned tables (they're reserved for you whether you sit there or not).

Should you choose not to show up to dinner that night, those seats remain empty incase you show up and they won't sit anyone else there, thus leaving empty spaces. If all of the passengers that accounted for those empty spaces were to then decide to do ATD, they're now taking up 2 seats.

ATD has a very small amount of reserved space. Also (having done the Chef's table), the food prep in the back is different for scheduled seating and ATD. They prep food based on the amount of people expected to show for the ATD time slots.

I say to either change your time completely and allow someone else to be moved into your scheduled seats or to go to the buffet, room service, etc that night.

Walking in to ATD in excess of the fact that ATD is normally always overbooked already these days causes problems and makes ATD people have to wait longer to be seated and also puts the kitchen into the weeds. And taking up 2 seats while others are waiting to be seated isn't something I'd want to do. Not to mention, you wind up leaving the other people at your assigned table sitting alone.

Just my opinions and thoughts having been behind the scenes...

ATD has become so popular that it seems to always be the first one to be waitlisted these days.

We did ATD on our Dream cruise and we had to wait almost every night to be seated (between 15 minutes and an hour and a half on the worst night.)

The Early seating and late seating have assigned tables (they're reserved for you whether you sit there or not).

Should you choose not to show up to dinner that night, those seats remain empty incase you show up and they won't sit anyone else there, thus leaving empty spaces. If all of the passengers that accounted for those empty spaces were to then decide to do ATD, they're now taking up 2 seats.

ATD has a very small amount of reserved space. Also (having done the Chef's table), the food prep in the back is different for scheduled seating and ATD. They prep food based on the amount of people expected to show for the ATD time slots.

I say to either change your time completely and allow someone else to be moved into your scheduled seats or to go to the buffet, room service, etc that night.

Walking in to ATD in excess of the fact that ATD is normally always overbooked already these days causes problems and makes ATD people have to wait longer to be seated and also puts the kitchen into the weeds. And taking up 2 seats while others are waiting to be seated isn't something I'd want to do. Not to mention, you wind up leaving the other people at your assigned table sitting alone.

Just my opinions and thoughts having been behind the scenes...

Really? An hour and a half? We're been on.....6 ATD cruises and NEVER waited more than 15 minutes. I might think twice if I ever had to wait that long....

Really? An hour and a half? We're been on.....6 ATD cruises and NEVER waited more than 15 minutes. I might think twice if I ever had to wait that long....

One night we waited about 30 minutes. Most nights were around 15. I think one night we might have even been taken right away but I cannot recall.

The very last night of the cruise, we waited an hour and a half. Well an hour and 18 minutes to be exact. The little bar right next to the Crimson was stuffed with ATD people waiting to be seated. (I figure people were all packing their stuff and it delayed the people that normally ate earlier) or something... I have no idea. But it was bad. And the waiters were in the weeds hardcore that night.

But, we still enjoyed ourselves. It was an exception to the rule and I never waited that long on previous cruises either. Just that one night.

Archived