Epic - aft cabin?

Chardpink

We are considering a cruise on the Norwegian Epic in 2013. Can anyone give me any information on the aft cabins? Good? Bad? Comments? THANKS!!!

We have one booked for our W. Med cruise 27 May. I have read here on cc that vibration is an issue for some people. We are going for it. My Son and his roommate had an aft suite on the Jade and we enjoyed their balcony. If you tend to get sea sick, consider midship.

I've sailed the Epic 3 times. 2nd time we had an aft balcony & it spoiled me forever. 3rd time they were taken so we booked the very last cabin on the side.

I never noticed more vibration here. It does feel a little "different", (maybe a slight "swaying" motion?), but nothing annoying.

The only negative issue for you might be the fact that the Epic is so big & it will take extra time & effort to reach certain areas of the ship.

We loved the fact that it was sooo quiet. No one comes by your door unless they are staying back there.

The best thing is the view. Once you experience it, you'll be spoiled.

That's just my opinion.

Enjoy the Epic!

I had a corner aft, regular balcony, room 12310 a few weeks ago. If you are motion sensitive do not book aft cabins. I found the constant vibration of the ship annoying. Someone posted the other day it's like being in a massage chair. It was windy on our two sea days so the ship swayed back and forth a lot and it drove me nuts. I didn't notice the motion as much in other parts of the ship.

The vibrations pulling into and out of the port didn't bother me too much except when we were pulling into Miami. Starting around 3:30 am it felt like an earthquake every now and then. Once we were in the port, there was no sleeping though that amount of noise and vibration.

I would not book an aft cabin on the Epic again, I would go for a balcony room towards midship.

We were in a B1 on the 9th floor and loved it....I love watching the wake of the ship...tell your husband sometimes you will be able to see things that others can;t...If you book one just make sure the bed is closer to the door...it was my first aft balcony and certainly will not be our last....We did not notice a little vibration on the 9th floor..but it did not bother us... It only vibrated when pulling into port, so we were up any way...not a big deal for us....

Edited by slotaddict

We have been in an aft facing balcony cabin twice on Epic. The back of the ship is straight up and down so there is complete privacy from the cabins above and below you. Loved that.

Regarding vibrations...get ready to rock and roll when pulling in and out of port. That surely will wake you up in the morning. While cruising, it was smooth as glass. Never had a problem with vibration while under way.

Edited by coffeebean

• 1 month later...
We have been in an aft facing balcony cabin twice on Epic. The back of the ship is straight up and down so there is complete privacy from the cabins above and below you. Loved that.

Regarding vibrations...get ready to rock and roll when pulling in and out of port. That surely will wake you up in the morning. While cruising, it was smooth as glass. Never had a problem with vibration while under way.

That's what I've been wondering.. I'm not usually prone to motion sickness, but ended up sick one night on Mariner of the Seas back in 08. My last night was awful, spent laying in the room while everybody was out having fun. I don't want a whole week of that. If it's smooth for the most part with a little noise or vibration here and there, I don't think I would have a problem. I'm just nervous about this one..

:)We were in 11313 last October on the Epic and absolutely loved it.

Balcony is slightly bigger as its on the end and after asking for a lounger as soon as we were in the cabin on embarkation , we had one delivered within 30 minutes. What service!

Vibration wasn't a problem, one windy night balcony door was flying open, all good fun until I realised I had the child lock on and it wouldn't close until it was unlocked !

Cabin is smaller than on other NCL ships but not really a problem , the view makes up for it.

That's what I've been wondering.. I'm not usually prone to motion sickness, but ended up sick one night on Mariner of the Seas back in 08. My last night was awful, spent laying in the room while everybody was out having fun. I don't want a whole week of that. If it's smooth for the most part with a little noise or vibration here and there, I don't think I would have a problem. I'm just nervous about this one..

I felt constant motion in my corner aft cabin (12310). It was side to side rocking, it didn't make me sick but it did get on my nerves after awhile. It was very noticeable while in the Atlantic, once in the Caribbean it was very smooth. I spent a few nights sleeping on the couch so my body would be going the direction of the boat and not sideways. My husband noticed the motion but it didn't really bother him.

If I were to sail the Epic again I would pick a mid ship balcony but that's just me.

I hope this helps you out a bit.

we are considering these too, but my hubby is worried about not being able to see were we are going, where on a balcony you can see both directions.

The Bridge....

We did a cabin crawl and saw a suite as well as a regular aft balcony. While the crawl was in progress, they started doing thruster maneuvers. The vibrations were horrible. There is no way I would ever book one of these cabins.

We did a cabin crawl and saw a suite as well as a regular aft balcony. While the crawl was in progress, they started doing thruster maneuvers. The vibrations were horrible. There is no way I would ever book one of these cabins.

We were in aft suite 13295 last week and the vibrations were pretty bad. Regular movement I don't mind. Booked forward suite for next January.

I am getting a little worried now. I've always wanted to be in an aft cabin, because I love to walk the promenade and watch the wake of the ship. Since there is no promenade on the Epic, an aft cabin was something I really wanted.

However, I can get a mini suite for the same price right now. They are larger and probably away from the vibration.

Some people say the vibration is only when docking at a port - is that correct?

Any suggestions? We are currently in an aft cabin on the end - 13314.

Thanks!!

Some people say the vibration is only when docking at a port - is that correct?

Any suggestions? We are currently in an aft cabin on the end - 13314.

Thanks!!

I felt my cabin vibrated all the time, when docking it feels more like an earthquake.

You have side to side movement and vibration all day/night it's like being in a massage chair (someone made that reference before and I loved it).

When docking, it's crazy, especially if the ship has to turn all the way around. When you're awake it's kind of fun, however, in the early hours of the morning while docking in Miami is not so awesome.

we are considering these too, but my hubby is worried about not being able to see were we are going, where on a balcony you can see both directions.

It's quite nice seeing where you've been. There is nothing like the sound and view of the wake. The cruise lines finally got smart...they are charging more for aft facing balconies. I think it is because we on Cruise Critic have been singing the praises of these aft facing balconies, we shot ourselves in the foot (so to speak). Ouch!!!

Edited by coffeebean

Don't know about the aft rooms, but we had a balcony room - - - very, very small - even for just 2 people. Did not like the bathroom situation at all !

We had an aft facing balcony with the bed by the sliding door. I loved the cabin, although it is small, and absolutely LOVED the bathroom set up. It was just my husband and myself and the cabin was cozy, very nicely appointed with more storage than we could ever use with wonderful lighting.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from a week in Caribbean on Epic. There are pros and cons to the aft rooms. It just depends on your preferences.

Pros: Balcony is large enough for 2 loungers. Be sure and ask right away when you arrive. Watching the wake is awesome, sounds like a constant waterfall. Very little wind on the balcony. Quiet area with very little traffic by your cabin. On the 8th floor its just a quick walk down one deck to Moderno and Cagneys, another deck down to the Manhatten dining room.

Cons: Hard to hold a conversation on the balcony due to the constant sound from the wake. Vibration during docking from the thrusters that turn the ship which happens whenever it docks.

We loved it... hated it the last day as we were docking in Miami but overall... worth it for all the pluses.

Edited by mramz
wasn't finished