Could someone describe the Indian meals in the MDR?

PaddleAddict

I cant answer your question, but hope someone can do so for us. I too am curious. I have not been on Carnival since the menus were changed, but last time I cruised ( Freedom, 2010 ) I had the Indian vegetarian meal on the first night in the MDR and it was excellent. All I can tell by the new menus, is that on the every day menu, you can order for dinner an Indian vegetarian meal that comes with rice and two vegetables, with accompaniments. And it seems to imply that it will be different each evening. I would also like to hear back from someone who has tried it.

I see that Carnival offers a vegetarian Indian option in the MDR every night, but there is no description of the meals. I love Indian food... How are these offerings on Carnival?

I ordered the Indian meals two nights on our cruise back in October. Both were absolutely delicious!

How authentic could it possibly be?:rolleyes:

Since many of the head chefs are Indian, I believe them to be quite authentic.

Could they tell you what it was each night or did you just order and wait to be surprised?

That is the only issue-I had no idea what I was eating. As I stated above, though, both meals ordered were deliciuos. I'll definitely be ordering the Indian choices on our next cruise.

I ordered the Indian dinner on the first night on the Miracle and found it very enjoyable.

I have no real idea what each dish was. I like Indian food in general, have had a lot of home cooked Indian food through pot lucks at work and found this to be pretty "authentic".

100_0175.jpg?t=1318024487

How authentic could it possibly be?:rolleyes:

The head chef on most of the Carnival ships is Indian. How could it not be authentic? The Indian food is quite good indeed- surprisingly so. As is the Tandoori grill. their veggies were out of this world! And I have been a serious eater of Indian food in the US, in England, and in India for about 40 years so feel that I have some expertise in this.

I had the indian vegitarian twice on our Glory cruise last week. It was very good both times. And more than I could eat.

Some dishes were spicy, some not, none so hot I couldn't eat them - except for the red side dish that came with the rice - it looked like stewed tomatoes, but it was insanely hot!

I really enjoyed it, but can't speak to the authenticity, as I'm not an expert... The first night I had it the waiter told me it was "american" version.

It's relatively authentic, but our waiter from India indicated that if it were his, he would have a lot more rice and less of the other stuff. Also it would be hotter.

Yes- lots more rice. But the hotness surprised us in India- much of the food is nicely spicy but not hot. Madras is an exception. And Pakistan- EEK!!!

I order the Indian dish every night except once.

It was a little different every night but sort of the same.

Probably the best thing on the menu, but you need to like that type of food to appreciate it.

I just wish it wasn't only offered as a veggie dish, it would be great with meat.

I order the Indian dish every night except once.

It was a little different every night but sort of the same.

Probably the best thing on the menu, but you need to like that type of food to appreciate it.

I just wish it wasn't only offered as a veggie dish, it would be great with meat.

You sound like my husband- I serve veggie dishes and he thinks they are good but wouldn't they be better with meat?

Thank you all so much for the information!

I really love Indian food and although I am not vegetarian, I don't miss meat too much when it's not a part of the meal.

I am excited to try some Indian on my upcoming cruise! I've had it on RCCL and it was great, so I'm happy to hear equally good reviews about the Indian on Carnival.

Never have gotten around to thinking that far in advance. But interesting thought- wonder if you could request a non-vegetarian Indian meal? Hm.... might have to try that. Although I suspect, as odd as this may sound, that the meal you order in advance is going to be related to the dinner they have for the Indian staff. Which sounds good to me. Real Indian food cooked by real Indians for real Indians. But some meat with it would still be nice.

Archived