Live and limping on the Dawn

EileenN

I also have been wondering....how did they get those t-shirts so quickly. Often rumors start very quickly...

More than likely, someone in Charleston saw the report and knew the ship was coming there. Just takes a short time to silk screen a bunch. Met the ship to make some quick cash. Anything that happens, someone will want to make some money off of it. Cost about two dollars to make cheap ones, then sell for $10 to $20, whatever the market brings.

I've wondered about the T-Shirts myself!!! I've been on NCL's Sun with 18 - 20 ft seas and we were on Deck 9. I can't imagine what it must have been like for everyone. Thank God, it wasn't worse with more injuries. I'm sailing on Saturday on HAL out of FLL and never thought of "Rogue Waves".

I think NCL did a great job with compensation. I haven't experienced any problems on Celebrity where compensation would be applicable but on Carnival when we missed Grand Cayman two years ago due to rough seas and we couldn't tender in Carnival gave each Stateroom a $50 pp credit.

Again, our thoughts are with all that were on board and glad they are returning safely.

I was suprised when I saw the passenger on the CNN/Weather channel interview complaining about the way NCL had handled the wave. "A lifetime of memories now destroyed"?? Good thing he was not on one of the early Pride of Aloha sailings or he would have probably killed himself.

I am happy that no one was injured and the ship is well enough to sail on to NYC.

I feel that NCL has handled this incident better then anything I have followed in the past several years.

The came out early and said there was problem.

They were upfront about what they would do for passengers on board.

4-17-05 cruisers were contacted about the problem.

The NCL Website has been updated numerous times.

Good job NCL. You took a bad situation and made fast, rational decisions.

wahoo! it was hard to get information on this cabin - what time of year did you sail?

SORRY I did not quote as I had intended - ref is 9502, an AC penthouse on the Dawn, which I understand from a dif thread is closed down currently after the rogue wave incident.

i finally saw the story for the first time on the news tonight. and i'm sorry I did because all it caused me to do was throw my book i was studying from at the television.

reporter: "you believe NCL was negligent?"

passenger: "yes, the crew put all of our safety in jeopardy. when CNN is reporting bad weather conditions, they should have known and diverted"

(not exact words but that was the gist)

i can't believe some of these people. the reporter even mentioned they were being partially refunded and offered a free cruise in the future (how are they still not happy???) i think NCL did a wonderful job and its crew should be commended. these people who are blaming NCL should be blessed they were not hurt.

KUDOS TO NCL!!

Is there something about NYC and the Atlantic ocean? We sail the end of May out of NYC and I am starting to get spooked. We are headed to the Eastern Carribbean.

How far from land was the Dawn when the wave hit?

Reading about these idiots publicly lambasting NCL with rude T-Shirt messages and ridiculous statements just makes me want to throw up. :mad: Unfortunately, this same situation occurred last October after our Wild Ride home from Bermuda on the Majesty.

Unfortunately, what we experienced last year seems quite mild in comparison to what happened to the Dawn yesterday - and therefore I think we can all expect to read another whole round of posts by outraged passengers who will insist that the Captain could have somehow avoided the rogue wave.

Very fortunately, there will be people like Eileen who will calmly relate the facts, giving us a sense of what it was really like, as well as highlighting all the steps taken by NCL to make things as pleasant as possible for all aboard. God Bless Eileen and all the passengers like her!

To all who experienced the fright of an event like this, may you all find a way to retain memories of the great parts of the trip, while slowly letting go all the memories of the wave and it's aftermath.

To NCL - BRAVO for your handling of the entire matter, as well as for the efficient and effective adjustments and compensations for the 4/17 - now - 4/18 cruise! :D

"A lifetime of memories now destroyed"??
This quote from the guy that was on the news struck me funny too. A lifetime of memories...I have memories of when I was 10...I don't think they'd be destroyed by something bad happening when I'm 35. Or was the cruise the only memory he's ever had? I don't get it.

I just got to watch Carla live on CNN a passenger from the Dawn.

The ship was thrown around like a feather for 2 days, our cell phones were cut off, we couldn't even call the police, all the captain said was we were 100% safe. .......

here it comes :eek:

She did have a picture of the cabin door from one of the forward cabins on deck 10. It was folded almost in half from the force of the water.

I've been out shopping all day for my up coming cruise and I just saw on the news what happened - and of course ran for the computer to check the boards to get the whole story instead of bits & pieces from the 30 seconds the news crew gave :mad:

First let me say, I am so glad to hear that everyone is getting back safely. Although a few people were injured - I was glad to hear there were no fatalities or more serious injuries.

Unfortunately my news station had the honeymooner who was saying something about a lifetime of memories ruined. NCL can not control the ocean - after reading a lot of posts I think NCL stepped up and did the best they could in this situation. Yes your honeymoon didn't go as perfect as they wanted it to - but be happy you are walking off that ship without any injury.

The crew should be commended for holding it together and helping passengers get through this. I saw the comment about the open bar - well I think if I was in that situation, I would be very appreciative of a drink to calm my nerves.

I just got to watch Carla live on CNN a passenger from the Dawn.

The ship was thrown around like a feather for 2 days, our cell phones were cut off, we couldn't even call the police, all the captain said was we were 100% safe. .......

here it comes :eek:

She did have a picture of the cabin door from one of the forward cabins on deck 10. It was folded almost in half from the force of the water.

what would the police do? The cells phones didn't work because you were either outside cell phone range or the satellite lost lock....idiots I hate idiots-not you Shoreguy! I know better

And I guess they didn't realize since there are no cell phone towers at sea, they couldn't get a signal for them to work? Like a cruise line has the capability of cutting off all transmissions of any kind?

DUH!!!!!!!!

I too am glad that it was not worse than it was.

I just saw the same interview and I don"t no about you but I found her to be a little bit to much When asked about compensation she replied thay they gave them open bar and they wanted them to get drunk. I also right before on Geraldo they had the captain live from the Dawn on the phone He did say that the wave could have been over 70 feet but at no time was the ship in danger The poor people whose cabins got flooded were awakened to the water and it was a horrible situation I felt much better after his interview I loved the Dawn and we are hoping to go next april for the 10 day I have been praying for all those on board and I hope the reports get better.

The same guy (Fraley or similar) was shown with the same assinine quote on several NY tv channels, which I personally find sensationalistic and irresponsible [gee there's a shock---irresponsible tv reporting--- who woulda thunkit]]

Sounds to me like NCL did a good job, they did not plan this wave. We have lived by the ocean all our lives ...and you have to deal with the fact that at any time it can change. You can be out on a nice calm day and wow all of a sudden the wind comes up out of know where you can have rain, thunder, lightening etc. It is just one of those things. You deal with it always be cautious and use commom sense. If you can't deal with the unexpected them stay home...you could be on a plane and have things change..on a highway and have an accident etc. so stop complaining and be happy it basically turned out ok

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE for anyone leaving in the next few weeks:)

There were thousands of passengers on the Dawn, and the news aired the comments of of less than 5. I'm looking forward to reading feedback from other passengers. After viewing pics posted by other members of gigantic waves, I am fearful now, where I wasn't before. In my mind, and other first-timers schedule to travel with me, I see the titanic--pandemonium, with others oblivious. They say that passengers had life jackets on. That is real fear and doesn't sound like they were reassured that they were completely safe. I imagine that pax, especially first-timers, aboard Dawn were fearful, traumatized and didn't know if they would live or die. I could not fault them for whatever comment they made after going through this ordeal, and however they deal with working through that trauma. Yes, things happen everyday, even in the home. But who can dismiss or minimize the experience of those persons aboard. How they saw it, felt it, dreaded, feared. How did the crew handle it. We don't know, but certainly that would make a difference in the perception of the pax as to the magnitude of the danger. So, I can't wait to hear how it was handled --the rough seas leading up to and the immediate moments after the wave hit.

Did I read somewhere that NCL was offering refunds for people who no longer wish to cruise...

Archived