Cruises from Liverpool ?

ToadOfToadHall

Fred has 10 cruises from Liverpool in 2013, But i cannot see Cunard using it as a permanent port why should they!! Carnival has spent a great deal of money on Southampton which has the best deep water terminals in the U.K. 18 hours of deep water as opposed to Liverpools 4 hours a day.

Fred has 10 cruises from Liverpool in 2013, But i cannot see Cunard using it as a permanent port why should they!! Carnival has spent a great deal of money on Southampton which has the best deep water terminals in the U.K. 18 hours of deep water as opposed to Liverpools 4 hours a day.

The problem is not the depth of water, but the strength of the tide run in the river.;)

Back in September peter Shanks said:

"Southampton remains our base, but if in future Liverpool do invest in their facilities, and like other ports around the world have the opportunity for turnaround, then it is quite possible that some voyages would start in Liverpool.

"I think that would be very popular for our guests."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-14836334

From what I saw during QM2's call last September, Liverpool does not yet seem ready for prime time. Any facilities they once had for handling baggage and provisioning ships has decayed or has been demolished. In its current state it is only a place for make a port call for a day and cannot serve as a major embarkation port.

The tides and currents were a big problem. QM2 can pivot on a dime but for the first couple of hours two tugs had to push her into the pier, and that was in addition of using every mooring line that she had.

(A few months back I read a report where a company called Out of Time Concepts supposedly wants to being the QE2 to Liverpool. However the article gave no verifiable source of this information and QE2's current owners claim that they have their own development plans for her. She was last used this past New Year's Eve for a party, but only in her public rooms. There was no overnight accommodation. Bring QE2 to Liverpool and a lot of people would make an annual pilgrimage to see the old girl.)

It would be great for me to sail from Liverpool.

I suspect if QM2 does call it will be as part of a TA from Southampton or New York ending in Southampton.

We are quite happy for a transatlantic to start from or finish at Southampton as long as we can get on and off at Liverpool.

I suspect plans to enhance the pier head are in hand and once completed will result in a great facility on our magnificent waterfront.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm wondering where the Liverpool Daily Post got their information from because I can't find anything on Cunard's website about it.

Ray, it seems you were right in questioning that report:

quoted from http://www.clickliverpool.com/news/local-news/1215323-cunard-line-deny-liverpool-to-new-york-cruise-plans-.html

...A spokeswoman for Cunard said: "Cunard Line has no plans for voyages from Liverpool to New York in the 2012/13 season, or at any time in the future...

That's a shame. Thanks for posting the link.

You're welcome Ray. Seems Mr Shanks and the PR people at Cunard/Carnival have made conflicting statements on this issue. Or the press has it wrong. Either way, there is ample room to question what the plan is, if any. Personally, I don't have any skin in the game as my vacation (holiday) time is limited so I fly transatlantic. But from my limited knowledge, it seems that having some trans-altantics departing from Liverpool port would be an interesting option. Regards, S.

Archived