First time cruiser- parental consent letter

Breen1224

Hello!

A lttile long.....sorry....

We are going on Oasis in March. My boys are 17 & 16 and have passport cards. I am remarried and have a different last name than the boys. Their biological father has not spoken to one son for almost 2 years (my sons choice) and the other one spoke to him 6 months ago but is no longer speaking to him. We do not have a current address or phone number for him and have no way to contact him. I am afraid I am going to need some kind of consent letter to take the boys on the cruise. Does anyone know if I will need one? If so, am I just screwed because I have no way to contact him??? I am stressing in a big way!!! :confused: Thanks. :)

Because this is a Caribbean cruise, and your sons are so old, I highly doubt this will be a problem for you. You will probably never be asked anything. If you have a bridging document that shows you are the mom, you should be fine.

RCI states that:

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

It is recommended that you have a notarized letter from the parent not traveling with minors giving the other parent permission.

Now having said that: We have traveled many times and have always had this letter on hand but have never been asked for it.

My hubby cruised just this past December with all my kids (5,15 and 16) with out me and was never asked for the letter. My eldest daughter who is 23 was traveling with her daughter 5 years of age with out her father and they never asked for her letter either.

This is not to say that they won't ask, but it is very possible that you will be fine...no guarantees though...sorry I don't know if this information helped!

It's unlikely to be an issue, but why take a chance? You could be among the few parents who are required to show that they are legally allowed to take minor children out of the country. Sometimes older children are questioned about their relationship to adults, which can help. But if you are the one in a however-many (very small number) who is required to show proof, then you could conceivably be denied boarding.

Does their father have any legal rights? If not, then you need to bring a copy of divorce or custody papers showing that you have full physical and legal custody. Is he does, then you should either have the consent letter, which doesn't sound possible in your case. There is an option though. You can get a family court order allowing the travel, regardless of whether their father consents.

beachchick

Because this is a Caribbean cruise, and your sons are so old, I highly doubt this will be a problem for you. You will probably never be asked anything. If you have a bridging document that shows you are the mom, you should be fine.

RCI states that:

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

I was thinking the same thing. It's not like the boys are toddlers. I have their birth certificates so I would think that would suffice. Thanks for your input!! :)

It is recommended that you have a notarized letter from the parent not traveling with minors giving the other parent permission.

Now having said that: We have traveled many times and have always had this letter on hand but have never been asked for it.

My hubby cruised just this past December with all my kids (5,15 and 16) with out me and was never asked for the letter. My eldest daughter who is 23 was traveling with her daughter 5 years of age with out her father and they never asked for her letter either.

This is not to say that they won't ask, but it is very possible that you will be fine...no guarantees though...sorry I don't know if this information helped!

I have a friend who travels with her daughter, who has a different last name, and she has never been asked to produce anything. But with my luck they will ask for something! Thanks!! :)

It's unlikely to be an issue, but why take a chance? You could be among the few parents who are required to show that they are legally allowed to take minor children out of the country. Sometimes older children are questioned about their relationship to adults, which can help. But if you are the one in a however-many (very small number) who is required to show proof, then you could conceivably be denied boarding.

Does their father have any legal rights? If not, then you need to bring a copy of divorce or custody papers showing that you have full physical and legal custody. Is he does, then you should either have the consent letter, which doesn't sound possible in your case. There is an option though. You can get a family court order allowing the travel, regardless of whether their father consents.

beachchick

Their father has visitation which he could careless about, the boys could care less either. Anyways, I DO have custody. I guess it might be a good idea to bring those documents. Thanks :)

I have a different last name than the kids and have always brought the letter and never been asked for it. However, I live right on the Canadian border and cross it hundreds of times a year. I have had a few customs officials ask the kids questions along the lines of "you guys okay? Is this your mother?" but that is IT. I am also a child custody lawyer and very familiar with the problems that parents have when they need a passport for the kiddo and the other parent is absent/unreasonably withholds consent. Good luck- but if I were you I would NOT worry about it one bit.

Archived