Cappadocia from Istanbul

A day tour? Cappadokia is a pretty long way from Istanbul. I guess you would fly in early in the morning and back late at night....?

There are numerous travel agencies in all the tourist areas in Istanbul who can arrange/book such a tour for you if it exists. Personally, I'm not sure if it would be worth it for a day. I booked a 3-night mini tour from Kusadasi and felt that was just barely enough time to see the region. I'd at least recommend an overnight there, and that would also give you a chance to do the early morning balloon ride, which is sensational.

If the Monday is a national holiday, I wouldn't recommend it. One of the most outstanding places to see in Cappadokia is Goreme National Park (which I'd think would be closed on a national holiday).

A day tour? Cappadokia is a pretty long way from Istanbul. I guess you would fly in early in the morning and back late at night....?

There are numerous travel agencies in all the tourist areas in Istanbul who can arrange/book such a tour for you if it exists. Personally, I'm not sure if it would be worth it for a day. I booked a 3-night mini tour from Kusadasi and felt that was just barely enough time to see the region. I'd at least recommend an overnight there, and that would also give you a chance to do the early morning balloon ride, which is sensational.

If the Monday is a national holiday, I wouldn't recommend it. One of the most outstanding places to see in Cappadokia is Goreme National Park (which I'd think would be closed on a national holiday).

I've done some googling and it's possible, but it's a long day like you said. I know if we want to do it as an overnight, our organization that we are going with will try to push us to do the tour they are arranging, which is a high expense that most of us aren't able to do which is why I am trying to do it without them.

I had the same feeling, to avoid doing it on a national holiday, thanks!

You can do it but I would recommend at least two days. We did a tour thru Rock Valley Travel in Goreme. Their tours were good and we were very satisfied with everything.

We did our own air from Antalya and then back to Istanbul. Try looking at the trip advisor forum. IF you end up booking your own air book on local, Turkish sites as the fares are much less expensive than on kayak, etc. While we were in Istanbul we saw many adverts for day trips so they do exist. If you go, just watch that your air leaves from IST and not the secondary airport on the Asian side because it is much further from Istanbul.

My husband and I took a two night tour to Cappadocia. In his opinion, one night would have been enough to see the major sites. I found Euphrates Tours online. My travel agent obtained information from other sources, but said that pricewise this one was the best. They also rate well on trip advisor. We took a private tour as my husband does not walk fast and we did not want to hold other people up. We stayed at a cave hotel. Airfare and transfers were included in the price as was breakfast at the hotel. I think that you could see the major sites by going in the AM and coming back the following late afternoon.

Hint- Unless you are short and are very limber you may want to skip the underground city - also if you are claustrophobic. You need to walk bent over. We met one tall gentleman who said he had to crawl on his hand and knees!

We were very satisfied with our guide, the hotel and the tour.

Hint- Unless you are short and are very limber you may want to skip the underground city - also if you are claustrophobic. You need to walk bent over. We met one tall gentleman who said he had to crawl on his hand and knees!

We were very satisfied with our guide, the hotel and the tour.

I am 5'8" and did not have to walk bent over in more than a couple of spots (I'd say not more than 20 yards at any given stretch); no one in our tour group, including some guys of at least 6' had to go on hands and knees....

I do agree it's not the best thing to do if you're claustrophobic, a few passageways are narrow, low, and not very light.

Here are a couple of photos to give an idea of the low ceiling height in some places:

IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

In the tunnel shown in the second photo, my head was about 3-4 inches below the ceiling. That was one of the tighter passages.

Archived