Specialty Restaurant question

dincus

Often times when in the main dining room of some of the mainstream cruiselines, if I see two entrees that I like I'll order both. This is not allowed in their specialty restaurants. So my question is can you order an additional entree in Oceania's specialty restaurants? We'll be on the Marina in a couple of weeks. Thanks.

Yes. We did in Jacques. My wife wanted to try the sole, not being a fish eater, and ordered it in addition to her entree. It worked out well for me since my duck was fair at best and I ate the fish instead which was delicious.

Interesting, on most lines they will charge for an additional guest if you do that.

There is no charge for anything in the specialty restaurants, so charging for an extra guest would add $0.00 to your tab.

This is your introduction to the fact that Oceania is not like other cruise lines :cool:.

I have also asked for an appetizer size of something if i just wanted to try it and they are always accomodating Great way to try things without getting as much food. Some things wouldnt' work that way, e.g. probably a filet but other items it has been easy - a pasta for example or one small lamb chop, etc.

My nephew ordered 5 lobster dinners in Toscana in 2011. No extra charges.

On the other hand, when we asked for an additional reservation for Toscana later in the cruise, the staff looked up our room number on the computer and said, "sorry, no".

Not sure if there was a connection.

We were told we couldn't have an extra reservation at Jacques. We went there at 6 the evening we wanted just as they opened and there was a cancellation at 7:30 which we grabbed. The GDR SENT us to Toscana when the GDR was packed. If you want a second reservation just show up and ask.

In Red Ginger on Marina, our server on his own brought me and my wife during our dinner a side dish of sea bass, which he said was the best entree at the restaurant. It was superb and even better than what we had both ordered.

I have a question as to reservations to restuaraunts on the Riveria.

I will be traveling in a veranda cabin not suite or concierge. I understand that suite and concierierge folks get first crack at reservations, but when do we others get a shot at stuff?

Do they allow stand-by reservations? On a 10 day cruise what are the chances I can get in a Polo, a Jaques and Red Ginger reservation over the course of the cruise? Can I make pre cruise reservatios ?

Any suggestion, tactics, technique that you has used would be appreciated:rolleyes: This will be my first Oceaina cruise and I am unsure as to how everything will work.

When I sailed with Regent, I never had a problem getting in to anything , so this is a new experience. With like 5 evening dining venues it is a bit overwhelming for me.:o

I have a question as to reservations to restuaraunts on the Riveria.

I will be traveling in a veranda cabin not suite or concierge. I understand that suite and concierierge folks get first crack at reservations, but when do we others get a shot at stuff?

45 days out

Do they allow stand-by reservations? Yes just go to the dining reservations desk in the morning & ask if any availability for that evening

On a 10 day cruise what are the chances I can get in a Polo, a Jaques and Red Ginger reservation over the course of the cruise? 50/50

Can I make pre cruise reservatios ?

yes for your allotted number of reservations only

Any suggestion, tactics, technique that you has used would be appreciated:rolleyes: This will be my first Oceaina cruise and I am unsure as to how everything will work.

Just ask the Maitre'd or reservations deck onboard, be flexible with times

When I sailed with Regent, I never had a problem getting in to anything , so this is a new experience. With like 5 evening dining venues it is a bit overwhelming for me.:o

Just relax & enjoy the cruise

I appreciate your feedback and details.

One more question.... on a 10 day cruise, in a veranda cabin, how many reservations am I allowed? Like 1 per restauraunt or is it like an overall number, not specific to any one venue?

And I will relax.... right now I am so happy to have found this line because the fit to me is scary good. Just want to do some groundwork now so I wont have to do it in the future.

I appreciate your feedback and details.

One more question.... on a 10 day cruise, in a veranda cabin, how many reservations am I allowed? Like 1 per restauraunt or is it like an overall number, not specific to any one venue?

You are GTY 1 per specialty restaurant but you can always ask for more if available

La Reserve you can go as many times as you want to pay for ;)

The Terrace is the best buffet we have seen on any ship

Enjoy

You can reserve 30 days out and I would advise you to do so. It can be pretty tricky getting the reservations you want at the times you want. Don't overlook reserving the first night. The GDR was a nightmare and we waited 30 minutes at 7:30 only to be told it would be at least another 15. We were then sent to Toscana. Not too shabby. Many people couldn't reserve any on line. They did work hard on board to accommodate those without reservations. On the longer cruise, there are no problems from what I understand. If the Reservations desk sees that you have all four reserved, they won't give you a second one. Red Ginger turned out to be a pleasant surprise. To me, Polo lived up best to what it was as a steak house. Don't overlook them. And, I can't recommend the roast chicken any more strongly if you like a delicious moist bird.

You can reserve 30 days out

How far in advance one may make restaurant reservations depends on the type of accommodations booked and when you make your final payment.

RESERVATION RULES

Your booking must be paid in full.

• The online dining reservation system closes 7 days prior to your sailing's embarkation date.

• Owner's and Vista and Oceania Suites can make reservations 90 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

• Penthouse Suites can make reservations 75 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

• Concierge Level Veranda staterooms can make reservations 60 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

• Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms can make reservations 45 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

We often had the best luck securing "extra" reservations on nights that we were late in port or on an overnight when some people were eating in port. We found it best to call and make our request in the morning rather than just showing up. We frequently had a pleasant surprise of finding a restaurant reservation slip tucked in our cabin door upon our return from a day of sightseeing.

Hi would you be able to explain Privee to me. On their site it says $250 for up to 8 guests is that each?? regards Liz

$250 total, not per person. Think of it as a private room that passengers may rent to throw a dinner party.

113043.jpg

Privée is a perfectly gorgeous space, and your guests have the option of ordering from either the Polo or Toscana menu. One seating per night beginning at 6:30PM, although you may start the meal later if you prefer.

Seems to me that the system closes 15 days prior not 7 given the booking windows quoted :confused:

Oceania would be too discrete to admit this, but the week between 15 and 7 days out is used to iron out all of the "Oops" that were created while we had access to the system. :rolleyes:

We just got off the Marina. Privee was busy every night of our 12 night cruise and it did look beautiful and fun for a dinner party. I really don't understand why people feel they must eat in the specialty restaurants over and over. On a 2 week cruise, once in each of them is enough for us. I must add for the sake of honesty, we did eat in Red Ginger twice. We live in an area where good Asian restaurants do not exist, so it was special for us - perhaps if we had good Asian restaurants available, it would not have seemed so special. Jacques was my least favorite menu. We found ourselves eating dinner often in the Terrace Cafe which was excellent and only in the MDR twice. the Terrace buffet was wonderful - I thought my husband was going to turn into a lobster or shimp, or perhaps grow fins before we came home. This was our 10th Oceania cruise. One thing I did notice in the MDR was that the team of waiter and assistant was no longer in place and there was just a waiter and "runners" who brought food to the stations. Service and attention are a little less but I think most people who eat in the MDR expect leisurely dining - otherwise, they would go to the Terrace Cafe.

Archived