Anyone tried MSC?

Just sailed with them over the New Year.

The ship (Splendida) was lovely! Better than Rhapsody or Radiance. However, administration was friendly but sloppy (though fortunately the waits at guest services weren't long). If something does go wrong they take a hard line as I've experienced and heard from others. You'll probably have a slightly higher onboard bill with MSC - they find more ways to charge including that they charge for bottled water in the dining room (though this is the Italian way so not an MSC specific thing, but worth pointing out for the comparison to RCL).

Dining was better and worse in some ways than RCI - for disclosure am not such a fan of RCI's dining either though. Fellow passengers are mostly Italian, so you'll get announcements in 5-6 languages, but it's done relatively quickly so not too bad - the Entertainment staff are incredible with their language skills! Also with dining, Italians are more pushy e.g. in the buffet. Not major, but something you have to get used to up there.

Being multilingual onboard, some entertainment is different, less language based, but musical segments were both Italian and English where songs came up in the shows. Aside from that, it was dance and performances in the evenings.

In summary, they're the European equivalent to RCI and overall I'd say that's how they come across. I'd certainly sail with them again if the itinerary and price were right.

We're planning a trip to Europe later this year, and are hoping to include a Med. cruise too. I've looked at MSC, and the prices do look good, especially as we have a couple of kids.

Just make sure you check the itinerary, and note the length of time in each port. Some port visits seem very short, particularly as in some cases there isn't far to sail to get to the next one!

DEFINITELY watch the times of shore visits. Many of these Mediterranean cruises only have VERY short visit -- half a day. Half a day on Santorini is probably better than no time on Santorini -- BUT!!!!! Not good enough for me , I am afraid to say!

Barry

DEFINITELY watch the times of shore visits. Many of these Mediterranean cruises only have VERY short visit -- half a day. Half a day on Santorini is probably better than no time on Santorini -- BUT!!!!! Not good enough for me , I am afraid to say!

Barry

I would suggest reading the Reader's reviews on CC. As far as Santorini, the tram only holds 36 people per trip. You will never get to the top!

Personally, I would never cruise on that line.

I have cruised twice with MSC, on trans Atlantic cruises, which I loved.

However, if you are planning a once in a lifetime port intensive cruise in the Med., I agree you should check the actual times in port.

A half a day in Barcelona would have been a deal breaker for me, except I had visited there before.

Archived