Amsterdam vs Statendam

robinsongirl

I am doing research on a cruise for my parents. They have in their 70s and have cruised many times mostly on RCCL and Celebrity. they are looking at going on a 20 day Panama canal cruise with HAL this April. There are 2 sailings that leave within a day of each other. One is on the Statendam and one is on the Amsterdam. The Amsterdam sailing would end up costing a total of $400 more. The itineraries are pretty similar. they have a diffeerent departure port but that is not an issue for them. I see that the Statendam is an older ship. What are your recomendations? Would the Amsterdam sailing be a better choice since it is a newer ship?

As far as I know, both ships leave from Ft. Lauderdale, and wind up in San Diego on the same day before going up the coast to Canada. The Statendam leaves on 4/27 and the Amsterdam on 4/28 from Florida. $400 is a lot to pay for an extra day. There is not much difference in the two ships, as I recall. Perhaps the only thing that I remember is that the Pinnacle Grill on the Amsterdam does not have windows to the outside, and the Statendam does. Both are great ships, with wonderful crews.

David

The Amsterdam is one of the 'world cruisers' of the fleet.

She travels everywhere. I would like to think she is in the same shape as when we were on here (perfect) Not to disagree with the previous poster, but I would probably opt for her - an extra day is nice. I haven't had a chance to look at the two itineraries but I am betting that the Amsterdam's could be either better or with longer port times:confused:

The Amsterdam is my favorite ship because of its size and classic style. The central set of elevators and stairs, which the Statendam does not have, is a big plus. I think the A would be worth the extra $400 even if both cruises had the same number of days.

We've sailed both ships and found them both to be very good in general.

The ships layouts are very similar with minor variations. ( elevators)

The 2 ships are in similar condition. Clean and well maintained.

The biggest difference i'd comment on is the ships officers. Both crews were professional in every respect, but we did find the Statendams officers to be much more congenial and mixed more with passengers.

It was a direct reflection of the captains. Statendams captain ( im sorry I dont recall his name) was a very gregaroius man. Always about the ship, chatting, smiling. he was even at the Lido pool on sailaway dancing with the ladies! And with the daily Captains announcement, he always ended saying: "Please enjoy your day aboard the LUXURIOUS Statendam!" ( with his Dutch accent)

The captain aboard the Amsterdam was much more aloof. rarely seen or heard other than daily announcement which were to the point and brief with no levity at all. The other officers reflected his demeanor.

saying that, they were ALL professional in every respect. their job is to get us to our destinations and back safely and as comfortably as possible, not to entertain us.

Archived