Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya, etc. Docking Locations

roothy123

We'll be on the Mayan Mystique cruise in a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where they docked/anchored in those ports which apparently have more than one docking location. I know Key West does, and when I asked before, someone responded that he/she had docked at the outer dock and were shuttled to Mallory Square. I know positions are not under Oceania's control and each trip could be different, but for now I'm assuming we'll be in the same spot.

Cozumel has two docking locations. If you went there with Oceania, did you dock at the main one, closest to San Miguel, or further south? Does everyone dock in the same location in Costa Maya? For Roatan I've read that Carnival docks in Mahogany Bay, while most ships dock in Coxen Hole. Can I assume that Oceania goes to Coxen Hole? I know Belize is a tender location, and everyone does a long tender to a tender dock, so there's no question of where we'll end up. Other ports we visit are Grand Caymen and Santo Tomas.

I know I can find info on whether we tender (anchor) or dock at each port, but I'm trying to get specific info on each port in case I want to make plans for independent exploring.

Thanks.

Cozumel we docked at the one closest to town ..just across the road

Belize it was a short 15-20 min ride to the dock

Roatan it was Coxen hole ...a short walk to town

San Tomas we docked but cannot tell you the name of the location

if you check the specific ports it may give the berth or docking location ..of course all are subject to change by the port authority

http://www.worldportsource.com/countries.php

We'll be on the Mayan Mystique cruise in a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where they docked/anchored in those ports which apparently have more than one docking location. I know Key West does, and when I asked before, someone responded that he/she had docked at the outer dock and were shuttled to Mallory Square. I know positions are not under Oceania's control and each trip could be different, but for now I'm assuming we'll be in the same spot.

Cozumel has two docking locations. If you went there with Oceania, did you dock at the main one, closest to San Miguel, or further south? Does everyone dock in the same location in Costa Maya? For Roatan I've read that Carnival docks in Mahogany Bay, while most ships dock in Coxen Hole. Can I assume that Oceania goes to Coxen Hole? I know Belize is a tender location, and everyone does a long tender to a tender dock, so there's no question of where we'll end up. Other ports we visit are Grand Caymen and Santo Tomas.

I know I can find info on whether we tender (anchor) or dock at each port, but I'm trying to get specific info on each port in case I want to make plans for independent exploring.

Thanks.

Unless you majored in Pre Columbian Studies, do yourself a favor, and just hit the closest beach. :cool:

I tend to agree with Jim/stan... on the hit the beach or the water with a few exceptions

Roatan.... is great for diving and snorkeling... off shore

Grand Cayman... one of the great diving spots. Or take a submersable down the Cayman wall to 1000 ft !! Sunset beach is a great shore dive ore snorkel Sting Ray city for tourists Un less your checking on your "account" forget shopping Under the sea in Cayman is the hot ticket.

Cozumel, is a tourist trap... BUT book a dive trip to Palancar reef.. fantastic drift dive, as opposed to the "dives" in town.

Belieze... Ha... the best thing is the caves( several) and floating on tubes for several hours on and inderground river.

Santo Tomas ? Might stay n the ship

Costa Maya... take in one of the tours to A mayan ruin.... one is enough for a lifetime unless your a Mayan yourself.

Tendering in is the prefered method because of bugs and breezes.

I am on this same cruise in December on Riveria

Thanks everyone. Nope, I'm not a Mayan and I certainly didn't major in Pre-Columbian studies. I just like to snoop around, but usually after an excursion or some other planned activity. I know there's not a whole lot in many of these ports, but I'm not much of a beach person (and definitely not in Guatemala - don't think they have them!), so I'm looking for alternatives.

I just hit Google Earth and found out where the dock in Santo Tomas was, so mystery is solved. There definitely isn't much around there, but that's what shore excursions are for, I guess (or your own booked trips). Cheshire, the Mahogany Bay docking is a bit of a surprise for Roatan - thanks. I think someone else in the ports section said you could hire a taxi to take you around the island for not a whole lot of money. Would you happen to know if that's true? Also, was it easy to get from Mahogany Bay to the other docking location, which I think has internet cafe and more port services?

I'm afraid I don't dive, and have never snorkeled, so I'm not sure how many of your (Hawaiidan's) suggestions would work for me, although I certainly appreciate hearing them. Have you been to the places you mentioned, or just researched them? I was kind of curious, since you obviously know a lot about them, if you've already done the Mayan Mystique ports, and if so, why you're going in December?? (Check out the Riviera?) Belize actually interests me a lot, but I can't decide what I want to do there. The caves sound really fun, but there are other things tempting me too - maybe Lamanai for my "one ruins" excursion? (I think that's in Belize, isn't it?) In Grand Cayman, I think I'll go looking for Mitt Romney's bank accounts..or maybe just go to Hell...and yes, I've heard the shopping is not cheap. Good thing I'm not a shopper...

LHT, thanks for the site link on ports. I haven't seen that one before. Also, it's good to know that Coxen Hole and Cozumel (San Miquel, I think) are close to the docking location.

Cheshire, I haven't been on Marina, only Oceania's smaller ships, so I'm wondering how much more of a wait it will be to get off the ship once it docks, and how fast I can get on a tender if I'm not going on an excursion. Were things pretty quick? Also, if you or your wife knows, did they have any interesting art or craft classes in the Artist Loft, or what is that all about?

Thanks, all - and for anyone else who sees this, feel free to respond, as I'll be checking back.

Roothy123.....

Yes I have been to Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Costa Maya. And have done caving in Belize and know some guys that did some geology work there.

I am a lazy diver and regular snorkel addict ( great lagoon down the block from where I live).

I would seriously consider trying snorkeling as Roatan, Cozumel and Key West have super good easy, shallow sites... Give it a try.

I am NOT a big fan of Mexico and will go to lengths to avoid it. On prior cruises I stayed on the ship in any mexican port. Cozumel, an Island, I will make an exception as it is off mexico proper.

Why December? Well, new ship the Riveria, and free air from Hawaii were 2 pretty good stimulators. I loved Regent, but the prices got a little crazy, so I sought out Oceaina... as a good alternative. A Jr Regent from what I have learned and am eager to experience.

Have fun...

I wouldn't stay on the ship in Santo Tomas. Agree there's nothing much around the port area except a small but nice pavilion selling local crafts. But twice we've taken boat rides up the coast to the New River and gone upstream to visit the local native school, and then come back to have lunch in Livingston, which is a really interesting Garifuna town. Would not have missed that.

In Cozumel, we went a a cool bar that had all the NFL games up on screens in a palappa. But this won't work for you, sadly!

In Costa Maya, you can take a cab over to the old beach village. It's not much, nothing to "see" really, but the beach is quite nice in good weather, I'm sure (it was lousy the day we were there.) Of course, there are also Mayan ruins within reach I believe. And snorkeling trips available, again if the weather is nice.

I wouldn't stay on the ship in Santo Tomas. Agree there's nothing much around the port area except a small but nice pavilion selling local crafts. But twice we've taken boat rides up the coast to the New River and gone upstream to visit the local native school, and then come back to have lunch in Livingston, which is a really interesting Garifuna town. Would not have missed that.

Actually, I've been looking at that boat ride on the Rio Dulce. Wendy, did you do it with a company (Happy Fish or Go with Gus), the ship, or on your own?

Ruth

Mrs. Cheese and I took the Go With Gus Humanitarian Tour and enjoyed it hugely,as did all the other 20 or so on our small boat. Lots of interesting scenery, a fascinating stop at the little school,and a decent lunch, plus the company of Gus himself. Great value for approx. $80 per person.

Departing the ship was pretty quick in all our ports. I think any delays on any ship are usually caused by over zealous port officials rather than any faults of the ship management. As regards Art Classes, ther was an artist on board and there were classes, which seemed to be free,but we did not attend nor did we speak to anyone who did.

Archived