Passport question for ports of call

Kenlorz

I know that a passport is not required for a "closed Loop" cruise that leaves the US, stays within the Western Hemisphere, and then docks at the same US port it left from. I understand that for this you only need your Driver's License and Birth Certificate.

My question is when stopping at the following ports of call... Labadee, Haiti; Falmouth, Jamaica; Cozumel, Mexico, will we need a passport?

If I do need a passport to enter/exit these ports, what about a Passport card? How does that work in these situations?

Passport cards are only good for Canada and Mexico - at least according to the US Passport website. You will not need a passport for visiting the ports...the cruise 'clears' you for visiting any ports they visit so whatever you use (DL & BC or Passport) to get on the ship is all you will need. In the event you need to fly anywhere (as in miss the boat or have an emergency) nothing but a passport will get you on a plane.

Thanks for all the valuable info!!! One last question then, in the event if an emergency that requires a flight home (God forbid), when you say nothing but a passport gets me on a plane... does that mean a passport card is no good, too? If so, then what is a passport card even for??? Someone told me to get one for this trip, but now I'm not seeing the purpose in it.

From the US Department of State website:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3921.html

Passport Cards are only for travelling by land, and was designed for northern adn southern border countries. Only a regular Passport Book can be used for international air travel. So if you get stuck and have to fly home, only the Passport Book will get you on the plane.

My sister and her family are going to Canada this year for a bowling league tournament for the kids. They're driving from NH to Canada by bus, so the Passport Card is all they need.

From the US Department of State website:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3921.html

Passport Cards are only for travelling by land, and was designed for northern adn southern border countries. Only a regular Passport Book can be used for international air travel. So if you get stuck and have to fly home, only the Passport Book will get you on the plane.

My sister and her family are going to Canada this year for a bowling league tournament for the kids. They're driving from NH to Canada by bus, so the Passport Card is all they need.

the kids don't need the passport card either...

Groups of Children: Beginning June 1, 2009, U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 19 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory and traveling with a school group, religious group, social or cultural organization, or sports team, may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card.

• The name of the group and supervising adult,
  • A list of the children on the trip, and the primary address, phone number, date of birth, place of birth, and name of at least one parent or legal guardian for each child,
  • A written and signed statement of the supervising adult certifying that he or she has obtained parental or legal guardian consent for each participating child.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_can/can_sa.html

I am so sick of people saying the cards are useless.

I am divorced and remarried. The card GREATLY reduces the amount of paperwork I need to bring along. I do not need, nor will I ever use a passport. No sense in spending the money on one.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk

I am so sick of people saying the cards are useless.

I am divorced and remarried. The card GREATLY reduces the amount of paperwork I need to bring along. I do not need, nor will I ever use a passport. No sense in spending the money on one.

an enhanced driver's license does the same thing...in the states that issue them and is in general much cheaper. But of course if you ever fly to or from another country or want to take a cruise that is not a WHTI compliant one...it just gives you more options....

Georgia doesn't issue them. I will not be leaving the country by air and I have no reason to possibly need an emergency flight home. I can survive a few hours while the embassy gets permission for me to get home.

Archived