Shopping in St Thomas- help me!

Beachgal528

I'm going to answer both Animal Rescue and Natasha's questions in this reply.

Animal Rescue, there are shops and kiosks at Crown Bay, and if you're not a die hard shopper (like me!), you can probably find everything you might want at Crown Bay.

Town and Havensight do have more shops, bars, and restaurants (plus it's right across the street from the Paradise Point Sky Ride), but between "town" and Havensight, town is closer to Crown Bay and has more stores than Havensight.

The cab fare from Crown Bay to town is approx $4 pp each way, and to Havensight, approx $6 pp each way.

Natasha, the price range on jewelry in St Thomas ranges from $2.99 into the thousands. I love the "value wall" at Little Switzerland, because they have really good quality natural stone and pearl jewelry at really good prices. I wish I had bought their pearl earrings and necklace to match, and probably will at some point. The Captain's Corner stores have funky and kids jewelry that you can get at really good prices. Purple Papaya is another store with a good selection of funky jewelry.

Caribana has some chunky costume jewelry. The Fresh Produce store in the AH Riise Mall has island-made/inspired sea glass jewelry.

At the Natural Livity store, they have Rasta inspired jewelry in red, black, yellow, and green. I bought a really cool top there not too long ago.

There are also a few Pandora stores if you like that line.

No matter what type of jewelry you may be looking for, there's no shortage of it in St Thomas.

There is a Pandora store downtown? Do you happen to know where? One of my shopping "goals" was to find a nice charm for my bracelet. It's a Pandora, so I was hoping there might be either a Pandora store or perhaps another shop that has Pandora-like charms.

I think m steve is talking about the items at Vendor's Plaza, and yes, they tend to be knock-offs from Indonesia, etc. There are a number of very nice stores that are very reputable. For local items, look for the hook bracelet or hibiscus-themed pieces (ear rings esp.) There are some doll makers who are local. There is not a lot of locally fabricated clothing, but you can certainly buy Caribbean and tropical dresses to wear back on the ship!

The days of baragains in the Caribbean, particularly St. Thomas, are long gone. If you see something, you like it, you can afford it, fine but don't think you're going to buy great bargain on anything but some savings on some liquor and from what I hear on cigarattes. You have a higher duty free allowance from USVI than from other islands.

Yes, Shelly, there's a Pandora store in town on Main Street almost directly across the street from Palm Passage. It's on the north side of the street.

There are also stores that sell the Troll line of beads, and there's a store (Caribana or Beverly's) that has their own line of Pandora-like charms. They have one that has larimar (blue Caribbean stone) insets. If you get the 2012 Shopping Guide at the dock, you can see those charms on page 20, but they may also be on their website http://www.beverlys-jewelry.com. I kept the shopping guide for future reference!

Yes, Shelly, there's a Pandora store in town on Main Street almost directly across the street from Palm Passage. It's on the north side of the street.

There are also stores that sell the Troll line of beads, and there's a store (Caribana or Beverly's) that has their own line of Pandora-like charms. They have one that has larimar (blue Caribbean stone) insets. If you get the 2012 Shopping Guide at the dock, you can see those charms on page 20, but they may also be on their website http://www.beverlys-jewelry.com. I kept the shopping guide for future reference!

Thank you for the info! That's great news. Okay, so you seem pretty much in the know about the shopping in STT, so can you perhaps give me a hint on where I can find an unusual Christmas ornament in town? (Just to be clear, downtown, or town, is Charlotte Amalie, right?)

Thank you again.

The cab fare from Crown Bay to town is approx $4 pp each way, and to Havensight, approx $6 pp each way.

On that note, how easy is it to track down a cab for the ride back...say your ship leaves at 6:00 and around 5 you'd like to end your shopping time and head back? Safe to say you could be back at the ship at 5:15 in that case?

Shelley, it's kind of hard for me to think of an "unusual" Christmas ornament, so I'll tell you about the ones I've seen. OK?

At the Just Imagine store in Palm Passage, they have cute, glass, hand-painted ornaments. You may have seen something similar to these if you're a collector, but her artwork is very cute. Across from that store, at Gallery St Thomas, she has a different hand-painted ornament, I think. Larger, and they're frosted, colored balls.

The Caribana stores have ornaments, but I can't remember a distinctive ornament that they had, because there were quite a few styles.

The Captain's Corner stores have ornaments made from sea shells and sand dollars plus other novelty ornaments.

The Carnival stores in Havensight usually have a nice selection, too.

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to make an ornament from a photo I took near the cruise dock. Maybe I'll do that this weekend and post a photo!

You're welcome! It's a pretty boring walk, IMO. The walk from Havensight is more scenic and a little shorter, so more people walk from Havensight than from Crown Bay.

Just curious, how long of a walk is it from Charlotte Amalie to Havensight? Also, what time do you recommend we head back by if our ship leaves at 5pm?

Thanks,

Adam

Where do you think you get the best price and quality for tanzanite set in gold jewlery?

I bought my very first piece of tanzanite at the Tanzanite International store in Charlotte Amalie about 10 years ago. It is still in perfect condition and has maintained it's value (maybe even gone up a bit). There are many people who will slam TI because they are one of the "Cruise Recommended" stores found in just about every port in the Caribbean. However, I've had very good luck with them and the quality of their workmanship is excellent. I have found the the prices for Tanzanite is pretty consistent from store to store, so I would just shop around, find a store and saleperson that you feel comfortable with, and buy the piece you love. Just check your stone carefully and ask about the quality and carat wieght of the stone. The darker pieces are worth more than the lighter shades. The prices were about $800 a carat for nice tanzanite on the ships and ports, give or take, depending on the piece and quality of the stone. If you compare prices at the ship store and three or four quality port stores, you"ll have a good idea of what the going prices are. I personally wouldn't buy a nice piece at a no-name store that there would be no recourse if you have a problem. Just remember, if you don't find a piece in St. Thomas, there will be more of the same stores in other ports and the prices are pretty much the same. You get more allowances for duty-free shopping in St. Thomas though (and no sales tax anywhere, which is really your best savings)

I've found cheaper prices on certain gem shopping networks, but I like to see and try on the piece I'm going to buy.

Happy shopping- I will be back at the end of the month and am looking forward to checking out the stores

Just curious, how long of a walk is it from Charlotte Amalie to Havensight? Also, what time do you recommend we head back by if our ship leaves at 5pm?

Thanks,

Adam

Adam: It is one mile from town to the dock. Just walk along the waterfront, turn into the gates at Yacht Haven Grande (there is a big sign) and you'll be able to easily see the way from there. As to when to leave: How fast can you walk a flat mile?:D

Where do you think you get the best price and quality for tanzanite set in gold jewlery?

We have purchased several beautiful pieces of jewelry at Ajanata jewelers, which is in Charlotte Amalie, inside Drake's passage---they treat you well and are not high pressure. If they dont have what you are looking for, they will tell you where/what store to go to get it. Good Luck

There is a Pandora store downtown? Do you happen to know where? One of my shopping "goals" was to find a nice charm for my bracelet. It's a Pandora, so I was hoping there might be either a Pandora store or perhaps another shop that has Pandora-like charms.

The only advantage to buying Pandora charms there is not paying tax. The prices are the same everywhere.

May I jump in here and ask for further clarification about "downtown"?

We will be on the Oasis in summer and from what I've read, it docks at a place called Crown Bay. My understanding was that we should take a taxi to Havensight for the shops. Is this correct? I didn't know if Crown Bay has anything in the immediate area for shopping.

Could someone explain where exactly is "downtown" (street names perhaps) and the taxi cost per person from the pier at Crown Bay?

Thanks much!

Downtown means Charlotte Amalie. It is between Crown Bay where Oasis docks and Havensight where many ships dock.

We always walked from Havensight to downtown but now that HAL always docks at Crown Bay, we don't walk. It is a longer walk and there are parts that have no sidewalks and a rough area I'm not happy to walk through. It also is not scenic or as pleasant a walk.

and if it looks like a cheap copy, it is. Even the clothing that looks local really isn't. The shops used to be much better but not any longer.

I agree. Shopping in St. Thomas (the whole Caribbean) is not nearly what it used to be.

Jewelry shops that used to be loaded with inventory of gemstones/gold/beautiful pieces are now downgraded to sterling silver and few precious stones. They are pushing less costly things and the choices are a fraction of what we used to look forward to admiring.

Even still, store after store is empty with few shoppers and some that were in business for years are now empty. Some jewelry stores are now selling t shirts and souvenirs to get cash flow as they are selling so little jewelry.

Not to be a downer but want to tell folks to not get their hopes too high. If you don't expect too much you won't be disappointed. It is still very fun shopping St. Thomas (Charlotte Amalie) and there are some casual, tasty places for a pleasant lunch or a drink.

The most upscale shopping you will find was at Yacht Haven Grande (next to Havensight) but I have heard some of those stores are now closed or downgraded also.

sunlover75, your review of Ajanta in Drake's Passage was very much appreciated.

I texted my friend in St Thomas that Ajanta had been mentioned on cruisecritic. She went there the next day, and called me because the owners DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CRUISECRITIC and couldn't find your mention of their store! They told her "we don't advertise on cruisecritic."

I thought your mention may have been posted by one of their friends or family members, so when I found out they didn't even know about cruisecritic (I had to talk them through finding your post while my friend was in the store), I felt much better about them, because your recommendation was definitely genuine. I'll definitely check Ajanta (sp?) in the future thanks to your mention of them (they're also highly regarded on tripadvisor.com). They were very familiar with TripAdvisor, and volunteered that information to my friend.

sunlover75, your review of Ajanta in Drake's Passage was very much appreciated.

I texted my friend in St Thomas that Ajanta had been mentioned on cruisecritic. She went there the next day, and called me because the owners DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CRUISECRITIC and couldn't find your mention of their store! They told her "we don't advertise on cruisecritic."

I thought your mention may have been posted by one of their friends or family members, so when I found out they didn't even know about cruisecritic (I had to talk them through finding your post while my friend was in the store), I felt much better about them, because your recommendation was definitely genuine. I'll definitely check Ajanta (sp?) in the future thanks to your mention of them (they're also highly regarded on tripadvisor.com). They were very familiar with TripAdvisor, and volunteered that information to my friend.

I promise that I have NO personal connection to this store, except that I have shopped there several times, and bought several things there and I feel like we have always been treated well and I am happy with everything I have ever bought there. My late mother bought things there as well, and loved all those items. I only mentioned them because I would recommend them to any friend who asked, and I intend to shop and buy from them again when we are in port during our cruise that sails on March 18th. I am glad my recommendation helped and I hope that you find something you like there. Thanks.

Jumping in here.....just returned recently from St. Thomas and shopping Charlotte Amelia. Unless you do not mind very aggressive and high pressure salesmen, do not walk into Maya Jewelers located in a small alley off the waterfront [Raadets Gade is name of street]. Almost had to put fingers in my ears and run to escape the overbearing guy.:mad: He became so worked up talking trash about every other jewelery store in town he even started to call his own merchandise junk jewelry. His tactic is hurting business for every store on that street. Buyer beware........

Archived