Shopping in St Thomas- help me!

Beachgal528

Just got back from my cruise. My wife and I did some shopping in St. Thomas at Diamonds International. We only shopped at the pier. I want to warn everyone to avoid working with the 'manager' named Jeremy. The guy is an absolute jerk.

My wife bought a necklace from there and it had a kink in it. He was unwilling to do anything to help her. He tried to sell her a replacement at 'cost'. She was upset and left. When I walked in with her, the salesperson told us that Jeremy was getting ready to leave so another manager would have to help us. It wasn't until that manager looked up my sales history and saw what I have spent at DI that they were willing to help. And by the way, when we left about 45 minutes later, Jeremy was still there.

I doubt I'll buy anything from DI again.

I have been reading through this thread and it is very helpful to decide where to shop when we are in St. Thomas. We definately want to shop in town after some beaching. DD & I will be at Sapphire Beach and will take a cab from there to town. Where exactly do I tell the cab driver to take us? If I say town will he understand that I want the main shopping town or does it go by another name. I'm afraid if I say one of the port names I will end up there. DH & DS will be scuba diving so meeting up at Big Kahuna Rum Shack sounds like a good idea. If I say the resturant name would that be better and will the cab drivers know where that is?

I have been reading through this thread and it is very helpful to decide where to shop when we are in St. Thomas. We definately want to shop in town after some beaching. DD & I will be at Sapphire Beach and will take a cab from there to town. Where exactly do I tell the cab driver to take us? If I say town will he understand that I want the main shopping town or does it go by another name. I'm afraid if I say one of the port names I will end up there. DH & DS will be scuba diving so meeting up at Big Kahuna Rum Shack sounds like a good idea. If I say the resturant name would that be better and will the cab drivers know where that is?

The taxi drivers will know where to take you- just tell them you want to go downtown to shop- they should take you to a drop off area in Charlotte Amalie. Your cruise caper for the day will probably include a map of the downtown area since lots of people go there to shop.

The taxi drivers will know where to take you- just tell them you want to go downtown to shop- they should take you to a drop off area in Charlotte Amalie. Your cruise caper for the day will probably include a map of the downtown area since lots of people go there to shop.

Thank You.:)

When coming from the ships, the taxi drivers usually drop everyone at the Flea Market, across from Little Switzerland. Go four giant steps to the corner, take a left, past the port office and you will be on Main Street. Tons of stores here, in the alley passageways off main street and the parallel street that runs along the harbor.

There is no way you will get lost if you tell the taxi to take you downtown for shopping.

Just curious, how long of a walk is it from Charlotte Amalie to Havensight? Also, what time do you recommend we head back by if our ship leaves at 5pm?

Thanks,

Adam

The walk is quite nice. It takes about 15 or 20 minutes. You do it at your own pace. We walked from the port into the adjacent yacht harbor shopping area where they have nice walkways; then its almost a straight walk along the water's edge right into town. We usually do downtown, then Emerald beach and then get back for about a half hour stroll along the havensight shops at the port.

• 8 months later...

I have been taking cruises 1-2 times/yr since 1993 that dock in st Thomas. And have been buying jewelry there same amt time. I recommend shopping with some of the jewelry shops on Main St that have been there over 25 years. One is Noble and the other Crown, both on Main St and are owned by a family from India , last name Wani. If you know your jewelry prices here, it's great fun to

look at their jewelry and bargain with them. They are very reputable , have stores on the internet and have tollfree 1-800 numbers. They stand behind their work. I have always found better quality and better prices at Noble and Crown than at Tanzanite International, if looking for tanzanite. If buying a tanzanite or diamond ring and you go to St Thomas let's say next year, they will let you upgrade your stone for a bigger one .They also own jewelry stores on some of the other Carribean Islands. Have fun...

Archived