Latest outbreak of Sickness

Has anyone truthfully said "yes" to the initial question by Royal Caribbean Staff before issuing boarding passes "have you and/or family members been sick or associated with sick persons within the past week, etc"?? If so what were the consequences?

That's an interesting question ,after all anyone waiting to board is surely not going to admit to this ? If your not well you would be at home but if your getting over a sickness bug then you would be well enough to go ahead with your cruise but would you admit to being sick the few days prior to this ? Thankfully it's something I have never been faced with .

I have actually admitted on a questionaire to having a recent throat infection, which left me with an obvious lack of voice. I was able to show that I was at the end of a course of antibiotics. The ships doctor was called to ensure that I did not have a temperature, and I was cleared to board.

This was a few years ago, since then I have also seen people being refused boarding for whatever medical condition they admitted to.

I worry mightily about this one because my DD suffers from anxiety and she throws up when she gets anxious. She literally gets pale and shakes (tho no temp) And she used to get especially anxious on planes, and check ins; anywhere where there are authorities checking documents and inspecting, whatever.

We aren't ever smuggling anything, or don't have our papers in order, she just can't control it, it's physical. And its made worse by lack of sleep, motion and unusual foods (all the things that happen when you travel:rolleyes:) When we used to fly, she would use the "air discomfort" bag, but the air attendants would give us the 3rd degree, and I was always afraid they'd throw us off the plane thinking she had something infectious:eek: We still always stick her in the middle seat so she's not near a stranger in case this happens.:eek:

Luckily, now that she is older, and has traveled more, she has better control over it; she often still feels unwell, but she doesn't actually get sick. It also helps that RCL check in is so friendly and upbeat ...more "yeah, you are starting your vacation!":D and less "let me inspect all this stuff".

I work in the emergency room of our local hospital. If I answered this as written -- been in contact with someone in the last week -- well I probably would not get on!!! At my job, I have been in contact with just about everything. BUT-- I am probably more safe as we wear protective devices, gloves, face masks, etc and wash our hands constantly. But if I answered honestly as written, I am afraid I would never see the inside of a ship, or at least outside of my room. And I really hate the idea of spending any of my vacation explaining all this to someone who may not have a clue what I am talking about but are "following" the rules.

Last week while filling out the pre -check in health questionaire prior to boarding the Jewel I wondered how many people choose not to admit that they are sick or possibly still contageous as they are concerned that they might be denied boarding. As someone stated on another thread regarding this issue, if the cruise lines really want to address this they should have clear cut policies offering refunds if denied boarding for health issues.

This post made me laugh out loud and then I read it to my DH and he just looked at me and laughed also. We travel with my cousin and her husband almost ever cruise and we were Miami the day before. Her husband had been feeling not quite right in the restroom a lot. He said that the medication he takes for his heart can do that to him. He then read that about "if you are not feeling well or have had any diarrhea please let us know". He did!!!!:eek: They took him away and we waited for them. After a little while we were told by my cousin we should just board and they would meet us on the ship. They were not allowed to board. The doctor had to check him out. We knew he was not "sick" just a symtom of his medication but they would not let them on. RCL flew them to San Juan and put them up in a hotel. That was our first port of call and they were waiting for us when we got off the ship. We laugh about it now and told him if that happens to again to stick a cork in it and shut up.

I would NEVER answer those questionnaires honestly. Sorry, but I know if I'm well enough or not to cruise and if I'm at the port, I'm well enough to cruise! Really, that whole system is a horrible way to stop any illnesses from spreading across the ship.

I would NEVER answer those questionnaires honestly. Sorry, but I know if I'm well enough or not to cruise and if I'm at the port, I'm well enough to cruise! Really, that whole system is a horrible way to stop any illnesses from spreading across the ship.

I think there's more truth to your post than people want to admit. It's like taking off your shoes and only carrying 3 oz of toothpaste on board a plane, it makes us all feel better, but it doesn't really make us any safer.

The fact is the percentage of people who board " sick " is the same or lower than the undectectable percentage of people who are incubating an illness and will become sick and contagious once on board. So we all feel better about denying boarding for illnesses, but we are at no less risk for catching something if we do.

Cruise ships take the hit publicly for contagious illnesses because you are on it for 3-7 days, but a huge percentage of people flew on a germy, uninspected airplane to get there, and probably that's where the illness came from, ( or from your homerown)not the scrubbed, inspected crusie ship. But you ll never tie the illness to a place you spent only 3-7 hours.:rolleyes:

My father in law answered yes a few cruises back. He was taken away for screening. He had a cold that was getting much better. They asked him a bunch of questions, and gave him a quick checkup. Think they took his temp to look for feaver.

After a few min, they let him board.

Rob

I think there's more truth to your post than people want to admit. It's like taking off your shoes and only carrying 3 oz of toothpaste on board a plane, it makes us all feel better, but it doesn't really make us any safer.

The fact is the percentage of people who board " sick " is the same or lower than the undectectable percentage of people who are incubating an illness and will become sick and contagious once on board. So we all feel better about denying boarding for illnesses, but we are at no less risk for catching something if we do.

Cruise ships take the hit publicly for contagious illnesses because you are on it for 3-7 days, but a huge percentage of people flew on a germy, uninspected airplane to get there, and probably that's where the illness came from, ( or from your homerown)not the scrubbed, inspected crusie ship. But you ll never tie the illness to a place you spent only 3-7 hours.:rolleyes:

I always get sick a day or two after being on an airplane. Never fails! Nothing serious, just sniffles or something. Well... that'll be a day or two after I board my next cruise. :eek:

You can be perfectly FINE when you board, and then, the virus hits you....so you could answer truthfully, and still get onboard with some nasty bug....

Or, you could have been sick, but now you're fine, but you are unknowingly still "shedding" virus....

And, I'm sure there are those who are ill when they board, because they were fine when they left home.

You can get sick anywhere!

I have actually admitted on a questionaire to having a recent throat infection, which left me with an obvious lack of voice. I was able to show that I was at the end of a course of antibiotics. The ships doctor was called to ensure that I did not have a temperature, and I was cleared to board.

This was a few years ago, since then I have also seen people being refused boarding for whatever medical condition they admitted to.

Hi Dave and Anita,

Looking for a good deal...Feb 23, 2013 - Navigator. Mom is booking us this week while on the Voyager (which she boards tomorrow.) Think about it. It would be nice seing you both again.

Sue

Archived