Travel Warnings

Excited7

Ok so maybe I am the only one wondering.....with the new travel warnings for mexico.

I know if it is THAT bad they will just re-direct the ship somewhere else or OBC.

My question is...when and where would you find out that your port has been changed?

My dh is the one who is already concerned we are going to Mexico so when he calls on his break later and tells me there is a new travel warning I want to be prepared with some anwsers for him :D

Thanks!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/us-updates-travel-warning-for-mexico/2012/02/09/gIQAwdGR2Q_story.html?hpid=z4

the ships go to areas that are not included in the most dire of the warnings...

the cruise lines normally post any change and most either give nothing back or a small OBC(10-25 dollars)...

If it was an unsafe area, Carnival would not be using it for a port of call. Carnival will not put their ship and passngers in danger.

I understand that. I guess my concern or question was that with this new travel warning IF they made changes how and when would we find out?

Im assuming if there are no changes then its safe to stop there.

Thanks again for the info!

I work in government and just received the latest threat list for Mexico. I read their are no alerts in Cabo and minor stuff on the roads just outside of Puerto Vallarta. Those are destinations are the only ones I read about because that's my next cruise. I'm not at all worried.

I could never figure that one out! Cruiselines might just as well stop cruising from/to most US ports/destinations with all the crime, muggings and killings that happen often Stateside. We've been to Mexico numerous, and I do mean NUMEROUS times and have never encountered/been victims of any personal crime. That is not to say that is does not exist but much like you would use common sense here in the US and not let your guard down, likewise one would expect that one does so abroad, whether it be Mexico, Canada, England, Australia etc.... In Acapulco, Mazatlan, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa we have mingled with the locals, used public transportation etc....And this from someone who does not speak more than 10 words in Spanish!

Have you guys ever noticed how so many people act AND dress LIKE a tourist, advertising "TAKE ME" on their forehead the moment they step off the ship?!?! And how about if so many of us leave our attitude, you know the kind, the Ugly American kind, behind us at home. Most of us unfortunately demand things to be done "our way" when we are abroad. God forbid something happens to us and then we start shouting "FOUL". I know: We should wait for all the lights to turn green before we leave our house, that way we know it is safe to proceed!

I am not trying to offend anyone here, just expressing my 2 cents based on my 41 years of overseas travel.

I understand that. I guess my concern or question was that with this new travel warning IF they made changes how and when would we find out?

Im assuming if there are no changes then its safe to stop there.

Thanks again for the info!

if there was changes it would be once you are on the ship would be my guess. If there are changes prior to that Carnival would do a press release like they did when there was swine flu.

I work in government and just received the latest threat list for Mexico. I read their are no alerts in Cabo and minor stuff on the roads just outside of Puerto Vallarta. Those are destinations are the only ones I read about because that's my next cruise. I'm not at all worried.

Thanks! We are just taking the three day cruise and the only stop is ensendad....just a quick anniversary getaway or escape...depending on how you look at it :D

Thanks! We are just taking the three day cruise and the only stop is ensendad....just a quick anniversary getaway or escape...depending on how you look at it :D

I was in Ensenada on the Golden Princess in January and took the shuttle downtown late in the day and returned after dark. Didn't see anything that made me feel uncomfortable. The people were friendly and there were lots of people on the streets. That doesn't usually happen if the locals are afraid or anticipate problems.

When they dropped Mazatlan they notified everyone in advance of the itinerary change. I don't remember if they suspended any stops in St. Thomas after that young girl was killed, but if so it wasn't for very long.

No, they didn't, and I bring that up all the time. Why is Mexico picked on when no actual cruise ship passengers have been harmed?

I would much rather go to Mexico than St Thomas or Jamaica. Ask the locals in St Thomas if they go out at night and they will tell you no way.

Thousand of canadians, americans and europeans are staying in and around Cabo and Puerto Vallarta for a(often long) stay without ANY PROBLEM.

So come and enjoy.

Thousand of canadians, americans and europeans are staying in and around Cabo and Puerto Vallarta for a(often long) stay without ANY PROBLEM.

So come and enjoy.

Exactly, count me in as one of them. And a very happy one at that.;)

No, they didn't, and I bring that up all the time. Why is Mexico picked on when no actual cruise ship passengers have been harmed?

I would much rather go to Mexico than St Thomas or Jamaica. Ask the locals in St Thomas if they go out at night and they will tell you no way.

As do I (bring up the fact about the safety for cruisers in PV compared to St.Thomas). We did a 10 day Caribbean cruise this past Oct.Nov and stopped in Antiqua and St.Thomas, we tend to walk away from the Diamond International type stores and like to explore where both the tourist and the local areas.

While walking around both islands I remarked to Mr.QT that I felt much safer when I was in Puerto Vallarta.

Booking (hoepfully flights as coming down) our flights tonight for PV this May!

Ok so maybe I am the only one wondering.....with the new travel warnings for mexico.

The Travel Warning is a revised document. It usually occurs at the same time each year, unless there's an upward spike in terrorist or criminal activity. I believe the prior warning was in existence for 8-12 months without change.

The Travel Warnings are based on factual, verifiable threats that have been reported by U.S. residents who are traveling in Mexico and who were victimized, by their families, to U.S. government employees working and residing in Mexico and via independent investigation by the various consular offices in Mexico.

Each of us travels differently and not always with the same acceptance of risk. That's why it's important to ask questions, do some independent reading on the destinations, etc. Such as the OP is doing here in this discussion.

One of the magazines which caters to the Travel Agent business has prepared what I think is an excellent visual aid to help travel agents counsel their clients who are considering visits to Mexico, and I think it's helpful to the rest of us (non agents) who have similar interests. It shows the areas covered by the Travel Warning and provides a brief description of the specific cautions mentioned for them. Here it is:

http://www.travelweekly.com/uploadedFiles/MEXICOMAP4.pdf

West coast....just to Ensenada....the three day cruise....just a short anniversary get away :)

We were there in 2010 , there were no problems then. Also back then,,on all the roads in and out of the city were the Mexican Army and they would stop anything that look suspicious going in and out of the city. You are probably safer then safe there.

The worst part of Ensenada is walking off the ship and to the town,,having to go through the "Chiclets Guantlet" as I call it.

The Travel Warning is a revised document. It usually occurs at the same time each year, unless there's an upward spike in terrorist or criminal activity. I believe the prior warning was in existence for 8-12 months without change.

The Travel Warnings are based on factual, verifiable threats that have been reported by U.S. residents who are traveling in Mexico and who were victimized, by their families, to U.S. government employees working and residing in Mexico and via independent investigation by the various consular offices in Mexico.

Each of us travels differently and not always with the same acceptance of risk. That's why it's important to ask questions, do some independent reading on the destinations, etc. Such as the OP is doing here in this discussion.

One of the magazines which caters to the Travel Agent business has prepared what I think is an excellent visual aid to help travel agents counsel their clients who are considering visits to Mexico, and I think it's helpful to the rest of us (non agents) who have similar interests. It shows the areas covered by the Travel Warning and provides a brief description of the specific cautions mentioned for them. Here it is:

http://www.travelweekly.com/uploadedFiles/MEXICOMAP4.pdf

thank you!!! this is perfect!!!

We were fortunate to go to the Mexican Riviera when it was safe in July of 2009 when it was safe. We went on the Mariner when it was there

We had a great time. It's too bad that Mexico is having such a problem with all this violence etc.

Wonder if this problem with ever change?

You'll be fine in Ensenada. The main area of town is just a short distance from the ship. It's basically one long main street. I think there are a few tours that do a winery and maybe a city tour. I wouldn't worry at all. Especially, if you decide to just walk down the main drag, do a little shopping and get some lunch.

I hope your DH feels good about it and you both have a wonderful time on your cruise.:)

Archived