Southampton / John Bull please help

We are doing a B2B and will be in Southampton on the turnaround day. Besides going to the ASDA to restock wine/soda and use the ATM there, we were thinking of taking the Bluestar #6 bus (which we can pickup outside the ASDA) to Lyndhurst(New Forest). Has anyone done this? It looks like a lovely place to spend part of the day.

John Bull-

You have earlier given me great walking directions to ASDA and West Quay Mall from City Terminal dock which I have printed out. I was wondering your thoughts on using the free CityLink bus from Town Quay to West Quay Mall and ASDA instead of walking. I wondered if this was a good option in case of inclement weather or when toting wine/soda back to the ship.

Has anyone found the free CityLink bus to be convenient from City Terminal?

Taking a scheduled service bus to Lyndhurst is the simple option (Lyndhurst doesn't have a train service), the village has plenty of shops & tearooms, a couple of pubs, a small museum. Pleasant for an hour or two.

But you'll not really see the New Forest.

I guess in Lyndhurst you could ask a taxi driver at the rank to quote you for a 30 - 40 minute drive, perhaps through Bolderwood Arboretum & Rhinefield ornamental drive.

Alternatively, if time allows you might be better to take a train http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

from Southampton central to Brockenhurst, to coincide with the New Forest ho-ho http://www.thenewforesttour.info/index.shtml

which will take you on a circular tour of this corner of the Forest. Lyndhurst is near the end of the circle, you could get off for an hour before re-joining to complete the circle back to Brockenhurst for the train back to Southampton.

Or take the little Hythe ferry www.hytheferry.co.uk/ from Town Quay across Southampton Water to Hythe, taxi from the ferry pier through the Forest via Beaulieu and Brockenhurst (and mebbe Rhinefield ornamental drive if it's not a lot more expensive) to Lyndhurst. Specify this route, not the direct route which skirts the Forest. Return from Lyndhurst to Southampton by bus.

Sorry, can't quote details cos my computer's playing up & I can't check mileages on googlemaps, etc.

The walk from City cruise terminal to West Quay Mall is no further than to Town Quay if you cut through the carpark of the Holiday Inn, by the port gate.

I know there's a free CityLink bus but I don't know the details & with my computer struggling I can't check them out

JB :)

Or take the little Hythe ferry www.hytheferry.co.uk/ from Town Quay across Southampton Water to Hythe, taxi from the ferry pier through the Forest via Beaulieu and Brockenhurst (and mebbe Rhinefield ornamental drive if it's not a lot more expensive) to Lyndhurst. Specify this route, not the direct route which skirts the Forest. Return from Lyndhurst to Southampton by bus.

There's a bus from Hythe to Lymington that runs every 2 hrs (IIRC) which give a lovely view of the New Forest. From Lymington, little connecting train to Brockenhurst, and change back to the SW Main Line back to Southampton Central

http://www.hythe-hants.org.uk/Travel/bus.htm

I also would recommend the Hythe Ferry as a quirky, 'experience' you'll remember a lot longer than a bus ride. There is even a little train ride at the Hythe end along the jetty to the boat which can't be any different to 100 years ago and the bus terminus is right outside the ferry entrance.

handford is right the Hythe Ferry is a neat ride also if you can walk the pier, instead of the train many of the planks are routered with names of people who donated to the refurbishment of pier. Also Hythe is a neat little town has a few nice cake shops and a Waitrose, upmarket supermarket chain posher than ASDA. There is also a open topped bus through the New Forest http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/discover/new-forest-tour.aspx if that does not work just google New forest open top bus. You can also catch this at Brockenhurst Rail stn. possibly quicker than bus

I believe that "free bus" is only if you have ridden on the ferries or are going to the rail station.

One thing you really should not miss are the inscribed paving stones that run up from the water into town on the High st. This is the post code Southampton, SO14 2AQ, UK for google map

Thanks to everyone for their input. I had already looked into the open top new forest bus tour, but unfortunately it does not begin until June 30 in 2012 and our turnaround day is May 4th. I had seen that the New Forest Visitor Center was in Lyndhurst and I found a number of self-guided walking tours that leave from there. It seemed like a nice quaint town with antque shops and pubs. I also looked at the Hythe Ferry and then going to Beaulieu. Some of the other ideas mentioned sounded great, but I am not sure that there would be time based on frequency of connections.

Based on time constraints I think that both Lyndhurst and Hythe might be options. I will do some more homework on the Brockenhurst idea.

I am still not understanding the free CityLink bus that runs from the town quay to the train station. According to the timetables it does have stops at West Quay and ASDA enroute. I was not able to see it was for just the ferry passengers. I thought we would walk folowing John Bull's route that he provided me and with all the soda/wine it might be nice to take the bus back. Of course if it is not near City terminal, then maybe a taxi back would be better.

It's not really very far to walk to the station- we often stay near there, and walk to the dock with our cases....it's level all the way. You can pick up a taxi at the station, though, which might be quicker if you're going out for the day.

This time we're staying at the Holiday Inn, and Eclipse moors outside...we'll see you on board on the 4th!:D

Jo.

The cruise terminals are a fair bit away from the Quay area, walking timewise. If you google map that post code I posted you will see how far as that is the PC for Hythe ferry terminal.

If you do go to Hythe you could get a taxi to Beaulieu, ranks just outside exit. I would think not too expensive, some places in UK you can negotiate with driver for a day, half day and it turns out quite reasonable. Last year on cruise including Scotland people came back after a day out with local taxi drivers saying what a great time and how reasonable it was.

As with anything it is your choice how much that day can be budgeted for.

...homework on the Brockenhurst...

Ahh working on your A levels? OK, sorry, couldn't resist, the big high-school for the area west of Southampton is in Brockenhurst and is by far the largest thing in village.

However, I still think you might want to consider Lymington over Brockenhurst or Lyndhurst, but them I'm biased.

I am still not understanding the free CityLink bus that runs from the town quay to the train station. According to the timetables it does have stops at West Quay and ASDA enroute.

Correct, it stops outside the Portland Terrace exit of West Quay which is the lower shopping level. Asda stop is right next to the store also on Portland Terrace. Normally runs every 15mins.

I was not able to see it was for just the ferry passengers.

It's not, if I'm feeling lazy I use it to go up the hill from Central Station to Asda :rolleyes:. You don't need to show a ticket or anything you just hop on.

I thought we would walk folowing John Bull's route that he provided me and with all the soda/wine it might be nice to take the bus back. Of course if it is not near City terminal, then maybe a taxi back would be better.

Most convenient stop for the City Cruise Terminal would be Red Funnel Terminal 1 (car ferry terminal) and then walk along Town Quay Road towards Mayflower Roundaboout and then along Herbert Walker Avenue into the port (if that entrance is open).

Correct, it stops outside the Portland Terrace exit of West Quay which is the lower shopping level. Asda stop is right next to the store also on Portland Terrace. Normally runs every 15mins.

It's not, if I'm feeling lazy I use it to go up the hill from Central Station to Asda :rolleyes:. You don't need to show a ticket or anything you just hop on.

Most convenient stop for the City Cruise Terminal would be Red Funnel Terminal 1 (car ferry terminal) and then walk along Town Quay Road towards Mayflower Roundaboout and then along Herbert Walker Avenue into the port (if that entrance is open).

Thanks Red Fox for the confirmation regarding citylink. That was the info as I understood it, but I had not seen anything on CC to confirm. I try to do research but I always like to get CC confirmation from those who have first hand experience. It just continues to amaze me that no matter what gets asked on CC, there always seems to be someone with first hand knowledge that is willing to share. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for their input. I had already looked into the open top new forest bus tour, but unfortunately it does not begin until June 30 in 2012 and our turnaround day is May 4th. I had seen that the New Forest Visitor Center was in Lyndhurst and I found a number of self-guided walking tours that leave from there. It seemed like a nice quaint town with antque shops and pubs. I also looked at the Hythe Ferry and then going to Beaulieu. Some of the other ideas mentioned sounded great, but I am not sure that there would be time based on frequency of connections.

Based on time constraints I think that both Lyndhurst and Hythe might be options. I will do some more homework on the Brockenhurst idea.

Hythe is a pleasant enough waterfront village, but its not the New Forest & although it's the birthplace of the hovercraft & has associations with Lawrence of Arabia & air-sea rescue & other fast craft, it doesn't have any places of interest. OK for a ferry trip & a lazy morning.

The bus services from Hythe are pitifully infrequent, which is why I suggested a taxi from the rank at the ferry pier to Lyndhurst - via Beaulieu & Brockenhurst (& possibly Rhinefield Ornamental Drive). Total around 15 miles. Then back to Southampton by Blue Star bus, to give you a mixed circular trip.

Beaulieu itself is a very pretty but tiny village. An attractive drive but other than for a photo or two you'd not want to stop there in a taxi.

Unless you made a day of it at the village's nationally-known attraction just outside the village

http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/

which could be a very good wet-day option.

In which case fix a return time with the taxi driver (there's no rank at Beaulieu) & return to Southampton same way - or continue by taxi to Brockenhurst & catch the half-hourly train back to Southampton.

Brockenhurst is bigger than Beaulieu, pleasant enough, but the draw is more its location rather than the village itself. You would not want to spend more than perhaps 30 mins there. If you drove from Hythe & did want to spend time there you could pay off the taxi & continue to Lyndhurst with another taxi or Blue Star bus.

Your initial plan to visit Lyndhurst by Blue Star bus both ways is probably best value, Lyndhurst has much more to offer than the other Forest villages. But the bus route is uninspiring & gives you the briefest of glimpses of the most bland part of the Forest. I'm none-too-sure what walks you've discovered, but its a good 10 -15 mins walk from the centre to the edge of the forest.

Especially if its wet, do consider a taxi tour (there's a rank in the main carpark) taking in Bolderwood Arboretum & Rhinefield Ornamental Drive. You could probably negotiate a price.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=High+St%2FA35&daddr=50.851814,-1.5735172+to:50.8449538,-1.6215687+to:50.86997,-1.63406+to:Lyndhurst&hl=en&sll=50.859169,-1.600571&sspn=0.047677,0.102139&geocode=FbY-CAMdaOfn_w%3BFebvBwMdc_3n_ymLCae0sIhzSDHSsmr2CFeAEQ%3BFRnVBwMdwEHn_ynXXhV9eo9zSDEEVd-obDJsmw%3BFdI2CAMd9BDn_ymdFAtqqY9zSDFtx7_P6t_-1g%3BFe9ACAMdoPDn_ymdsny6r4hzSDHoqpyN5X3QAQ&oq=Emery+Down+Hampshire&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=13&via=1,2,3&t=m&z=13

Lymington was mentioned by Scottbee. Because the attractive ferry + bus option is so infrequent, best visited by train from Southampton to Brockenhurst & connecting branch line to Lymington. Or mebbe ferry/bus one way & train/train the other, though day-return train fares are the same as single fares.

Its a yachting village just outside the Forest, a little bigger than Lyndhurst. This would be instead of Lyndhurst.

Don't know if this helps ........... or confuses :rolleyes:

Hythe is a pleasant enough waterfront village, but its not the New Forest & although it's the birthplace of the hovercraft & has associations with Lawrence of Arabia & air-sea rescue & other fast craft, it doesn't have any places of interest. OK for a ferry trip & a lazy morning.

The bus services from Hythe are pitifully infrequent, which is why I suggested a taxi from the rank at the ferry pier to Lyndhurst - via Beaulieu & Brockenhurst (& possibly Rhinefield Ornamental Drive). Total around 15 miles. Then back to Southampton by Blue Star bus, to give you a mixed circular trip.

Beaulieu itself is a very pretty but tiny village. An attractive drive but other than for a photo or two you'd not want to stop there in a taxi.

Unless you made a day of it at the village's nationally-known attraction just outside the village

In which case fix a return time with the taxi driver (there's no rank at Beaulieu) & return to Southampton same way - or continue by taxi to Brockenhurst & catch the half-hourly train back to Southampton.

Brockenhurst is bigger than Beaulieu, pleasant enough, but the draw is more its location rather than the village itself. You would not want to spend more than perhaps 30 mins there. If you drove from Hythe & did want to spend time there you could pay off the taxi & continue to Lyndhurst with another taxi or Blue Star bus.

Your initial plan to visit Lyndhurst by Blue Star bus both ways is probably best value, Lyndhurst has much more to offer than the other Forest villages. But the bus route is uninspiring & gives you the briefest of glimpses of the most bland part of the Forest. I'm none-too-sure what walks you've discovered, but its a good 10 -15 mins walk from the centre to the edge of the forest.

Especially if its wet, do consider a taxi tour (there's a rank in the main carpark) taking in Bolderwood Arboretum & Rhinefield Ornamental Drive. You could probably negotiate a price.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=High+St%2FA35&daddr=50.851814,-1.5735172+to:50.8449538,-1.6215687+to:50.86997,-1.63406+to:Lyndhurst&hl=en&sll=50.859169,-1.600571&sspn=0.047677,0.102139&geocode=FbY-CAMdaOfn_w%3BFebvBwMdc_3n_ymLCae0sIhzSDHSsmr2CFeAEQ%3BFRnVBwMdwEHn_ynXXhV9eo9zSDEEVd-obDJsmw%3BFdI2CAMd9BDn_ymdFAtqqY9zSDFtx7_P6t_-1g%3BFe9ACAMdoPDn_ymdsny6r4hzSDHoqpyN5X3QAQ&oq=Emery+Down+Hampshire&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=13&via=1,2,3&t=m&z=13

Lymington was mentioned by Scottbee. Because the attractive ferry + bus option is so infrequent, best visited by train from Southampton to Brockenhurst & connecting branch line to Lymington. Or mebbe ferry/bus one way & train/train the other, though day-return train fares are the same as single fares.

Its a yachting village just outside the Forest, a little bigger than Lyndhurst. This would be instead of Lyndhurst.

It does give options:rolleyes:--thanks! I think the weather and when we get off the ship and want to get back on will let us determine what to do that day. With all the ideas, we do not have to lock into one now, but can decide based on the situation of the day. It is just wonderful to be able to have so many ideas to choose from.

I don't know what the schedule is like now, it was only every 2 hours for Hythe Ferry - Lymington way way back when;

dep Hythe: 0945, 1145, 1345, 1803

arr Lymington: 1037, 1237, 1437, 1853

doesn't look like it's changed much

http://www.wdbus.co.uk/site/uploads/publications/41.pdf

Although if you catch a ferry to Hythe, then plan the 1145 to Lymington, and couple of hours in Lymington, and then train back to Southampton (runs every 1/2 hr)

But JB is quite right, Train to Lymington runs much more frequently.

Archived