Laundry Service

jsbellisle

Has anyone had to their laundry done while on their cruise?

We are on the Pride in July for 7 days and are coming to Baltimore 2 days early to sight see, i don't want to bring 9 outfits for each member of my family so I was thinking having laundry done mid way would be a good idea.?:confused:

1. How long does it take to get it back?

2. How much should I plan on paying for the service?

Thanks so much!

Most lines we've been on the charge is similar to a hotel, much less expensive to buy underwear and throw it away than to have it laundered. HAL has a bag that costs $20.00 for all you can stuff in it, and it comes back quickly and pressed. We used that on our last cruise and liked it so well, we used it again at the end of the cruise. Nice to get home without 2 bags of dirty clothes!

When we send it to the ship to be washed & folded we give it or tell our room steward 1st thing. (We are milestone so it is done for free.) We get it back in late afternoon. I found out on a true behind the scene tour of Carnival's Fantasy that ALL passenger's laundry is done by itself in its own washing machine/dryer. It is not combined with some one else's. However, most Carnival ships have a laundry room with washers & dryers for passengers to do their own laundry. There is also an iron for you to use. Ask your steward where there is one. On the Fantasy there are only two but its an older ship. The cost was $3.00 for a wash & $3.00 to dry. You can get quarters from the purser's desk to do this.

Seems to me panties or handkercheif is $2.50 @! It will cost a LOT to have the ship do your laundry!

And men do not have to bring a different paitr of pants for each day. My husband brings 3 pairs of pants for a 7-10 day cruise. Who is going to know he worn the same pants two days ago. He wears a different shirt but the same pants. Why can't you wear what you wore in Baltimore on the ship? We each take a carry on suitcase for any cruise, no matter how long.

We have laundry/dry cleaning done almost every cruise we take. For the 2 of us, the cost is between $25-30 for the week. That includes some wash (mens underwear, socks, pajamas) and a few items dry cleaned, not everything in the suitcase is laundered or cleaned.

We do re-wear clothes, I wash my delicates in the sink...no way am I going to send them to the laundry. We wear the same clothing to disembark as we did to embark. I take 1 pair of black slacks and 3 tops, 2 cocktail dresses for evenings. Maybe 3 pair shorts, a pair of capri length pants and a sundress (if it's warm enough, otherwise the pants are longer) about 4/5 tops. I just mix and match.

My husband takes his sportscoat, one white shirt, 2 ties. The slacks he wears with the sportscoat are black, so he can wear those on a casual night as well. He takes 2 other pair of slacks for evening, 4 more shirts. Day wear, pretty much the same, 3/4 pair of pants or shorts and 4/5 shirts.

We keep the shoe count down as far as possible. Select your wardrobe from the shoes up. I love shoes, probably have close to 100 pair, but just like clothes (I have a closet jammed to the hilt) while traveling I've learned that packing light has positive advantages. Less to pack and haul, less to organize, less to repack for the journey home. Not to mention you will be able to handle your own luggage and especially there's far less laundry to do once you return home. I've also learned that quality beats quantity when traveling, a great pair of shoes/pants/or nice shirt/top looks better and wears better than cheap stuff.

People really are not watching to see if you are re-wearing any of your clothing. Unless you have an outfit that is eye catching and memorable (in a good or bad way) no one will be the wiser.

I'd rather spend the extra $25 on a bit of laundry rather than spending more than twice that on airline fees.

Edit to add, we've done laundry on a couple of cruises, not fun. I suppose if you have kids it's almost impossible to not do laundry, but be aware the laundry rooms will be busy and you may be in for a wait if you try to do it on sea days or after returning from shore days.

also carnival has machines you can use yourself if you want to spend the time doing it. Thats what I did on my last carnival cruise. there are only a few machines so they are hard to get. I went during first seating since we had late seating and the machines were available.

Archived