Where should I change money when I arrive in Paris?

lori450

I would like to change my money to Euros when we arrive in Paris. We will be arriving at Carles De Gaulle airport and have a transfer to the hotel in Paris. Can anyone make any specific recommendations as to where to change our money? Last year in Italy I was looking for banks more frequently than I would have liked. I'd like to find a place with a good conversion rate and just change it all at once. At this point, we are scheduled to stay at the Novotel Tour Eiffel Hotel (but you know, tours can magically change....). Thanks for any advice.

I would like to change my money to Euros when we arrive in Paris. We will be arriving at Carles De Gaulle airport and have a transfer to the hotel in Paris. Can anyone make any specific recommendations as to where to change our money? Last year in Italy I was looking for banks more frequently than I would have liked. I'd like to find a place with a good conversion rate and just change it all at once. At this point, we are scheduled to stay at the Novotel Tour Eiffel Hotel (but you know, tours can magically change....). Thanks for any advice.

Rates at airport not so good,so if you want to change money wait till you het to Paris and then look for a money exchange kiosk.BUT...having said that I would just go to an ATM and get your money out that way.Just inform your bank you will be using an ATM syatem in Europe and have a 4 digit pin no.You can check out rates re exchange in the kiosk board they have in window.They are all different as you may find.I am sure other's will have more suggestions for you.

The reality is that ATMs are the the norm in all of Europe (and the USA). If you you do not want to use ATMs you must use private money changing kiosks or some banks (not all banks will change money) and you are going to pay a premium. We live in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in the winter and just (today) saw a typical example of what we see in Europe, Using an ATM here you will get about 12.4 Pesos to the dollar. At the airport today the rate for using the money changing bank was about 10.7 Pesos to the dollar and right around the corner were several major bank ATMs which would have given more then 12 to 1. It is the same in Europe. ATMs are the way of the 21st century and if you do not want to play along you are going to pay a premium. If you insist on using money changers you need to pay careful attention to the final rate you pay which nets the rate of exchange with the commission and any fees.

We now travel for several months a year in Europe and get all our money via ATMs plus using credit cards (CapitalOne charges no fees or commissions). We have not exchanged cash in Europe for over 10 years. Lately we have noticed more and more banks with signs saying they do not exchange currency or accept Travelers Checks. The good news for the poster is that there are always plenty of changing kiosks willing to change your money for a nice profit.

Hank

So far I have been given two lectures. I did not ask if I should use an ATM or go to a bank. I asked if anyone had any experience or knew of a reputable bank/changer with whom I could change money without being taken.

I resent being lectured to or chided. If you do not have an answer to the question, then please just don't answer.

So far I have been given two lectures. I did not ask if I should use an ATM or go to a bank. I asked if anyone had any experience or knew of a reputable bank/changer with whom I could change money without being taken.

I resent being lectured to or chided. If you do not have an answer to the question, then please just don't answer.

There are other people than you who read the responses. While the "lectures" may not benefit you, the information could help others. Please don't resent others for trying to help. I suppose you will consider this a lecture about being polite.

WOW.I am thinking that no one can help you.It is really hard to give a specfic name to a bank(none) or money exch. in Paris or other places other than Thomas Cooke.Maybe that will help you.I tghink if you want help on these boards and you do not like the replies then just don't answer.People only try to help is all.

I offer this in case you aren't aware it can be done. My apologies if it's not useful. Assuming you have a bank in the US, you can probably order euros before you leave the States. I did this once when I wanted a sizable amount before I landed in Europe. It was more expensive than an ATM but served my purpose. I ordered it at the bank in person and my branch called me a couple days later to come pick it up.

I usually visit a TravelEx Currency exchange here in town (used to go to the bank, but their fees became outrageous when they were taken over by a big bank). TravelEx has a kiosk in our mall and one at the airport. When I need a large amount or a "unique" currency, I can pre-order from the airport location and just pick it up before going through security for our flight. That way, I have the currency of the country we are landing in and it is one less thing to stress about that first day.

Whether you like it or not, the advice to use ATM's is excellent. It will be the least expensive way to get euros. However, you can pre-order euros pretty reasonably (more reasonable than TravelEx, for example) through Wells Fargo even if you don't have an account there. You do have to have a debit card, however. Just go to their website. The service charge includes overnight FedEx delivery.

In your situation, I would either do that or just get them from your local bank before you go if they can get them for you. I had a very small regional bank (since defunct) that could not get them for me; I just needed a few to pay cab fare from the airport until I could get to an ATM and Wells fit the bill.

I offer this in case you aren't aware it can be done. My apologies if it's not useful. Assuming you have a bank in the US, you can probably order euros before you leave the States. I did this once when I wanted a sizable amount before I landed in Europe. It was more expensive than an ATM but served my purpose. I ordered it at the bank in person and my branch called me a couple days later to come pick it up.

Thank you very much for your advice. I discovered this when I was I was on my Wells Fargo online account. Their exchange rate was good and if you order $1000 or more, there is no delivery charge. Thank you for your kind response.

I usually visit a TravelEx Currency exchange here in town (used to go to the bank, but their fees became outrageous when they were taken over by a big bank). TravelEx has a kiosk in our mall and one at the airport. When I need a large amount or a "unique" currency, I can pre-order from the airport location and just pick it up before going through security for our flight. That way, I have the currency of the country we are landing in and it is one less thing to stress about that first day.

thank you for your information. I have used a service like this before, but was hoping to avoid the fees and poor exchange rate, but it was worth it to me to have a small amount of money in my pocket when I got off the plane. Since we have been to Europe for the last 3 years, I am less panicky now and was willing to wait until I got there, but with the new information I got from Wells Fargo, I think I can have the best of both worlds.

Whether you like it or not, the advice to use ATM's is excellent. It will be the least expensive way to get euros. However, you can pre-order euros pretty reasonably (more reasonable than TravelEx, for example) through Wells Fargo even if you don't have an account there. You do have to have a debit card, however. Just go to their website. The service charge includes overnight FedEx delivery.

In your situation, I would either do that or just get them from your local bank before you go if they can get them for you. I had a very small regional bank (since defunct) that could not get them for me; I just needed a few to pay cab fare from the airport until I could get to an ATM and Wells fit the bill.

Thanks for such good advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I was going to say order before you leave the US or ATM in France. I usually exchange for my friends and family that visit since I have accounts in both countries. This may come as shocking but most banks in France do NOT have cash on site all is done through the ATM in the bank.

Although we understand that some folks "so not want to be lectured" or told the truth, we feel its good to revisit the OPs original question (for others who read this thread with a positive attitude). As the previous poster (who lives in Paris) says, some banks in France (and across Europe) often do not deal in cash but simply provide multple ATMs for their customers. More and more banks even have signs that will say something like "we do not exchange currency" and "we do not cash travelers checks." While we understand that some folks do like ATMs (for their own reasons) they are now the norm around the world for getting cash. When my late father-in-law took his first European trip (in his 70s) he finally went and got his first ATM card (he hated the thing). For those that cannot get an ATM card (anyone with a checking account can get an ATM card) it is possible to go to some banks or AAA and buy a pre-loaded Visa cash card which is simply an ATM card not tied to any bank account. The downside to these prepaid cards is that you will not get a good exchange rate and there are usually some fees involved...but its an option.

There are a few places (including one near the luggage area) at CDG that will exchange cash but you are usually going to waste time waiting in line and the rate you get will not be close to what you get out of ATMs that are right near that same change place. In Paris (and other major European cities) you still can find small places that will change currency (or even cash travelers checks) but they charge a few plus commission (or just a higher commission). Sometimes you can even find sophisticated automatic machines that will convert currencies (but they also do not give great exchange rates). So the bottom line for anyone going to Europe is to have 1 or more valid ATM cards that work on one of the major networks (i.e. Cirrus, Plus, Visa etc) and always remember to notify your issuing bank (in advance) of your trip and its itinerary. Also try to have a 4 digit PIN (some folks have had problems with 6 digit PINs) and know that PIN in numbers (most European ATMs do not have letters on their keyboard).

Hank

P.S. We hope nobody thinks this post is a "lecture" but rather just informative :)

P.P.S. About six years ago we were in a small French town (in Burgundy) and needed several hundred Euros to buy a piece of artwork. The closest ATM was out of order so I walked into the small bank (who owned the ATM) to cash some travelers checks. The bank said they do not cash travelers checks or exchange money and told me to walk 6 blocks to another ATM!

Archived