Need Wine Pros

SardisGrandma

I've ordered the premium 5 bottle wine pkg. Can some of the wine drinkers out there tell me a little about the red wines in this package.

Premium Wine Package

Paul Louis, Blanc de Blanc

Ecco Domain, Pinot Grigio

Ferrari-Carano, Fume Blanc

Pouilly-Fuisse, Burgundy

Frei Brothers, Chardonnay

Kendall-Jackson, Vintner’s Reserve, Pinot Noir

Kendall- Jackson, Vintner’s Reserve, Merlot

Hess Select, Cabernet Sauvignon

Melini, Classic Riserva, Chianti

Yangarra, Shiraz

I hope these thoughts help..

Premium Wine Package

Paul Louis, Blanc de Blanc-thise means white of white- indicating sparkling of chard, or not, my guess is, um, France- sparkling not champage but good, should be produced as they do the classics. Moet, Piper, just not in the high rent zone...

Ecco Domain, Pinot Grigio- an upscale Gallo family estate- old world style nice minerality and acid= seafood and pallate refresher

Ferrari-Carano, Fume Blanc= savignon blanc with some some smoke and wood, the house style is tropical fruit. a personal prefrence...

Pouilly-Fuisse, Burgundy= chard with llittle oak, can be over priced, a good value in the package. Lobster!

Frei Brothers, Chardonnay=pass, organic with flaws, I am not a fan, but could be good for the organic crowd.

Kendall-Jackson, Vintner’s Reserve, Pinot Noir-if one does pinot, the hardest grape to grow it needs to be excellent, not ok. like violin at table side...this one is ok..

Kendall- Jackson, Vintner’s Reserve, Merlot- a good offering red for white wine folks, think silk PJ's. seduction on the pallete.

Hess Select, Cabernet Sauvignon- best of the lot..could have resolved tannins- give me a steak!, they usaly have an older vintage! 2007= buy!

Melini, Classic Riserva, Chianti- dont know it ... look for DOC or DOCG on the stamp or cap. clasico limits production.

Yangarra, Shiraz- some sort of house shiraz.. a fits every one fine. good for beginers, complexity for the advanced

Calm seas and following winds -W-

Premium Wine Package

Pouilly-Fuisse, Burgundy

Yangarra, Shiraz

I would say over all a decent selection of medium level wines. The Pouilly-Fusse is a bit of a surprise- often a very nice wine. The Yangarra, I believe, is an Austrailian wine- nice. Quite a wide selection- you are going to enjoy them. dralliw1985 gives a good description- I would just argue with her/him about the pinots- these days there are many quite drinkable low price pinots available. I am not much of a white wine drinker- but the pouille- fusse appeals. I don't drink white often- but p-f is one of my favorites.

We were on a 9 day cruise in October and bought the premium wine package. I agree with most of the posts. Our package also offered Moet Chandon which I didn't see.

The Yangarra Shiraz is the most interesting to me, as my husband is Australian and it is one of the wines I specially ordered to be served at our wedding. It is from the McLarren Vale region of Australia and is an older established vineyard. Most of their Shiraz are very good. Hard to say without the vintage as there were a couple of off years due to heat waves, etc...

I would also go for the Hess Cab, especially if I were to order steak.

Does anyone know if you can use the wine package in the steak house?

Does anyone know if you can use the wine package in the steak house?

I believe you can- they do know what wines have been purchased onboard (well- I think they do- i fnot tell them) and you should not be charged a corkage fee.

And I agree that lots of Austraian wines are very good.

I originally was planing on buying the 2nd tier package, but found that there were no Pino Grigio Pinot Noir, or Shiraz which is what we like to drink.

For fun I went to a local wine store and bought 4 wines from the Premium list and did a wine tasting with DW. Here is my review from someone who does not know much about wine, but I know a bad one when I try it.

Ecco domain, pinot grigio, Decent flavor but very unimpressive. For a "premium" it did not stand out as being worthy of that distinction. At $9.00 a bottle it should be on the lower tier.

Ferrari-carano, fume blanc, A little dry for my taste. It is a Sauvignon Blanc after all. My first taste was not very good, but after a while it became more enjoyable. I like my whites to be a little sweeter, but it was overall decent. Will probably order this over the Ecco Domain. $12.99 retail.

Kendall-Jackson, Vintner's reserve, pinot noir, I have had this before and I like this wine. Although at $20 a bottle we don't drink it very often. Easy to drink and is a good solid choice for anyone who likes red wine. I was planning on this being our go to in this category.

Until....

Yangarra, shiraz, I had never hear of this winery and wow was I impressed. My DW and I both smiled when we tried this wine. Rich flavors and it was very drinkable. Also at $20 a bottle, I wont feel bad spending the $36 while on board.

BTW, no matter what package you decide on, I highly recommend the wine tasting idea, it really got us in the mood for the cruise and I paired it with some nice cheeses, apples, grapes, olives and prescuito (sp?). Made for a couple of very nice evenings with the wife.

Cheers

-F-

IMHO, the premium package is only premium in price. Terrible selections/offerings, simply put the best of the worst.

I agree with this. We got it the last two years and it was just ok. I finally looked at the wine list and decided for close to the same price (maybe a little more-not too much) I'd rather order much better wines by the bottle outside of the premium wine package.

The reason I got the premium is because I thought I was getting a better "premium" wine. I just started drinking a year or so ago. I started off it all tasted bitter. The Moscato was all I could stand. Looked & looked for a sweet red. But the more I try I find I dont care for the sweet anymore. I like one called Colby Red but cant get onboard. Its a blend of 5 grapes. Def not sweet. I knew I could drink the Noir but wanted a smooth red not sweet but not too dry. Never had shiraz. I've had some Cab's I liked. My biggest prob is Mississippi will not allow wine to be shipped here. Yet their idea of wine is Morgan David & Boones Farm!! So thought I'd treat myself on the cruise. I had a Wild Horse Noir that was really good & a malbec once.

Interesting. You'd think that they'd make it cheaper/bottle to buy the 5 wine package. Not so, 2 of the 3 packages are cheaper/bottle to by the 3 wine package.
Maybe they're hoping more people will buy two of the three-bottle packages instead of buying the five-bottle packages. I would if we were sailing on a week-long cruise instead of a five-night one.

After checking this out and the wine menu onboard, I'm wondering if the best option is to just buy the Santa Carolina Merlot onboard at $25 a bottle. This is a huge markup for that wine but it is a decent drinking wine for the balcony. Does anyone see any better options in the packages? I'm open to all suggestions.

I will share few tips that have worked well for me.

Remember we can bring on one bottle per person. They do check alcohol content and size, but ports ( 18%-22%) have passeed through for me just fine. A nice bottle + corkage is still a value over the wine pakages.

Like any thing else, Hair, pizza, video rental, it is good to find a good local person, that makes you comfortable, and gives recomondations that fit your taste and budget

Speaking of corkage, when I bring a bottle to the table the staff explains there will be a fee. I say no problem, may I see the wine list and then order at least a bottle from them, they make 15%, and magicly in the MDR, never been charged the fee. Not to start a tipping thred, the staff can spot someone trying to take adavantage, and those who will give well desrved extras Note: this does not work in the premium steak house.

Have fun and remember...

Any wine with dinner is better then no wine with dinner, and the number one expert on what you like is you. -W-

I've ordered the premium 5 bottle wine pkg. Can some of the wine drinkers out there tell me a little about the red wines in this package.

Premium Wine Package

Pouilly-Fuisse, Burgundy

Yangarra, Shiraz

Kendall Jackson is very good. We love Eco Domani Cabernet and Merlot but have never tried the pinot Grigio. All the others we have not tried. Wines from Chile and Argentina are pretty good and so are wines from Australia. California, Kendall Jackson, has some pretty good re wines as well. Hope this helps a little.:D

Any wine with dinner is better then no wine with dinner, and the number one expert on what you like is you. -W-

Sorry, but I beg to differ! There are many wines I will not drink. If its not good wine (to me), I'd rather have no wine!

Anyone know a great bottle (not package) for the price on Carnival?

Archived