Yet Another Itinerary Question

travellingnana

We are planning to travel through the Panama Canal (full transit) next year on Princess. The choice I have to make is to take the cruise which stops in Fuerte Amador, Panama for a day, or the cruise which stops in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. Everything else is the same...and both ports look interesting. Any thoughts as to which might be better?

Thank you.

Full disclosure... I have not been to San Juan del Sur, so I probably may not be totally objective, so here goes anyway. Since the Panama Canal would be the focal point of the cruise, I think the extra day stop in Panama would be more beneficial. Panama has a lot to offer both centered around the Canal and just in history in general. The cruise lines have only recently been incorporating a stop at one end of the Canal in conjunction with a transit, but it is not standard on every Canal cruise. IMO it is a great opportunity to reenforce what you have experienced on your transit day or explore more of what Panama has to offer.

Agree with Bill 100%, as usual! You're coming to Panama to see the Canal, so why not see something of the rest of Panama. All you see from the Canal itself, admittedly impressive!, are locks and the shoreline. Don't come all this way and miss Panama!

Regards, Richard

Oh yeah, full disclosure thing: I live in Panama.

Archived