Epic with an infant

ringpop

Hi everyone - We've just booked the Epic on an Eastern Caribbean cruise in April, and will be traveling with a 9 month old. We've yet to even take a trip with him, let alone a cruise, so we're still trying to get used to idea that the whole concept of a vacation will be changing for us. We chose NCL for the family oriented programming and flexible scheduling (else we'd be on Celebrity). My parents will be in the room next door, and are extremely eager to babysit, but we'd like for them to have the opportunity to take advantage of their first cruise as well.

So my question to experienced family cruisers is... what do you do with a baby on a cruise? How do you spend your sea days? What do you do in ports? In particular, I'd love to hear suggestions for St Martin and St Thomas. We'll probably stay on the ship in Nassau. I figure we won't be out late, will probably try to catch a few early shows, and will likely spend much of our time strolling around, sitting on the balcony, and letting DS splash around in an inflatable pool. We're not really looking for adventurous excursions, since we'd prefer to spend the day with DS.

Thank you 6rugrats. :)

It sounds like you have a lot of things already in place. I would suggest a weekend trip with the baby just to get an idea of how well your son travels. You will need to pack everything (no kitchen sink *grin* )

Make a list of things that you and your family would like to do. Your baby will be along for the ride. Babies look so very happy playing in the water and on the sand.

I sailed the epic when my little one was under 2. great ship for kids. anytime dining makes a big difference. Both St. Maarten and St. Thomas have shopping right off the ship. Good place to take little one for a stroller ride and shop. They have a toddler pool at the pool deck, contrary to what others say you can let the little one dip in the two inch water without crew making an issue. They have programming on tv for the little ones as well. You picked the perfect cruise for your situation. Have fun!!

Whatever you do at home, you'll do on the ship. With a small child, you don't have to change schedules too much. You'll need all the baby paraphenalia...strollers, carseat, etc....the ship will provide either a crib or P&P...a balcony will give you someplace "to be" while baby is napping or down early for the night.....it's no fun sitting in a darkened room...a balcony give you an outside space!

Since you want to spend your time with baby, that's what you'll do! The ships are quite "family friendly".

Archived