Would this work (crazy idea about how to do SPB on our own)?

Nitemare

Got 2 days in SPB coming up in June (I know, you all know this from all my other questions). I started off by asking if we can do this on our own, and found out how hard it is to get Visas for DW and me, so we moved on to private tours. And we like that idea. But:

Can we book a hotel room for the one night in the city and get our own visas that way since we'll have a local address and confirmed reservation (which, if we did this, we'd actually keep)? Then would we be free to be on our own (and, of course, be responsible for all the arrangements, including transportation and admissions) and do whatever we please for the two days in the city?

DW speaks the language pretty well, and was there as a teen, so has a pretty good idea of her way around. I know things have changed, and we'll learn more with a good guide and all that, the question I'm hoping to get answered is:

Legally and logistically, would this plan work?

Thanks very much!

It's not difficult at all to get your own visa for SPB. We are in the UK and booked them through the local Russian Toursit office.

They were quiet expensive (about £120 GBP each) but we thought they were definitely worth it.

We got a taxi top/from the port (Marine Facade) each day and found the whole thing very easy.

We loved having the freedon to do what we wanted when we wanted to do it and not be tied to a particular timetable.

I'm sure it can't be any more difficult to get a visa in the states than it is over here.

Our review thread is here : http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1256265

Got 2 days in SPB coming up in June (I know, you all know this from all my other questions). I started off by asking if we can do this on our own, and found out how hard it is to get Visas for DW and me, so we moved on to private tours. And we like that idea. But:

Can we book a hotel room for the one night in the city and get our own visas that way since we'll have a local address and confirmed reservation (which, if we did this, we'd actually keep)? Then would we be free to be on our own (and, of course, be responsible for all the arrangements, including transportation and admissions) and do whatever we please for the two days in the city?

DW speaks the language pretty well, and was there as a teen, so has a pretty good idea of her way around. I know things have changed, and we'll learn more with a good guide and all that, the question I'm hoping to get answered is:

Thanks very much!

If you have your own Visa then you can basically come and go as you please. You want to book a hotel room, go ahead.

The idea of using a private tour company is that they get you the visa, so that there is no expense to you for that. As was noted, they are fairly expensive, but if money is no object, then go for whatever you desire.

Cheers

Len

If you have your own Visa then you can basically come and go as you please. You want to book a hotel room, go ahead.

The idea of using a private tour company is that they get you the visa, so that there is no expense to you for that. As was noted, they are fairly expensive, but if money is no object, then go for whatever you desire.

Cheers

Len

I read the OP's post not as meaning he was going to get a visa and then book a hotel for a night, but that he was going to book a hotel in order to obtain a visa. He mentions how hard it is to obtain a visa, I guess he has read that you must have a 'letter of invitation' from a hotel address or an authorised Russian travel agency. But minsterman pointed out that it's perfectly doable to use a travel agency/tourist office for this, you don't need to go to all the hassle of checking into a hotel for a night. I should imagine that the hotel would work out more expensive as well.

It's not difficult at all to get your own visa for SPB. We are in the UK and booked them through the local Russian Toursit office.

They were quiet expensive (about £120 GBP each) but we thought they were definitely worth it.

We got a taxi top/from the port (Marine Facade) each day and found the whole thing very easy.

We loved having the freedon to do what we wanted when we wanted to do it and not be tied to a particular timetable.

For the total cost the OP would end up paying for the visas, the hotel room, their own transportation and admission fees, it seems they could book a private guide just for the two of them from any of the major tourist agencies.

That way they would have the freedom to do what they want when they want to do it without being tied to a timetable.

They would probably save time as well as money that way, not needing to wait for taxis or public transportation.

Thanks very much!

Yes. We have had visa's 2 times and stayed at length. If you book a hotel, they send you an invitation. You can get an invitation through a private company for about $35US. If you would like more information you may e-mail me at scubacruiserx2@gmail.com . Good thing is, you do not have to register because you are there less than 3 business days. You will have to get your visa through a company after you have an invitation, the company will submit the application to the Russian Embassy. Last year it was about $450US for the 2 of us. St. Pete is great and easy to move around. Good luck. до свидания

Archived