New Orleans Elation Oil Spill

rick&james

I have this mental image of a bus load of people rushing into Walmart to get to the luggage area.

I am glad your clothes are ok....I do have to say that Carnival thought fast on that one, on how to handle the people.

John Heald wrote about it, only that the latest he got was that they had to clean up the oil spill.

(out of the clothes, John)

Why doesn't someone clarify what type of oil was spilled? I can't imagine it was lubricating oil, rather possibly cooking oil? Also, this is cleary not Carnival's responsibility, rather that of the company performing the action. Yes, Carnival is to be commended for, yet again, compensating customers when there is no liability on Carnival's part.

Glad everything turned out, not perfect, but at least workable. I'm rethinking my packing now. We usually check one big bag and each have a carry on, thinking we may pack 2 smaller bags and carry those on instead of checking them. Something to think about.

Why doesn't someone clarify what type of oil was spilled? I can't imagine it was lubricating oil, rather possibly cooking oil? Also, this is cleary not Carnival's responsibility, rather that of the company performing the action. Yes, Carnival is to be commended for, yet again, compensating customers when there is no liability on Carnival's part.

How is it "clearly not Carnival's responsibility"? What caused the spill? It could be a number of reasons the spill occurred.

They are just leaving the river now (7:45 am EST). Is there something special about being in that area at daylight?

I have seen it in the daylight once.

We could see where the chocolate brown river water met the blue gulf water.

There was a big zig zag outlined by timbers that I guess must outline the river channel there.

And there were many dolphins in the brown water right at the mouth.

It appeared to be a dangerous and uncomfortable place for the dolphins, but they were intently doing something right there.

It looked surreal.

And definitely worth seeing.

:eek:

Oh no!! I'm so sorry!! That sucks!

Yeah. 2012 is not a good year for cruise lines it seems....

...I'm wondering now how smart it was to book a cruise that will be in the middle of nowhere in the Pacific on the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking... ;) :p

:eek: Enough of that thinking!! I'm on that cruise with you and expect nothing but a wonderful time. :p

I have seen it in the daylight once.

We could see where the chocolate brown river water met the blue gulf water.

There was a big zig zag outlined by timbers that I guess must outline the river channel there.

And there were many dolphins in the brown water right at the mouth.

It looked like a dangerous and uncomfortable place for the dolphins, but they were intently doing something right there.

It looked surreal.

And definitely worth seeing.

Thanks.

It looks kind of neat from close up satellite photos.

My last cruise, we didn't sail until 11:00 p.m. Because the river closed to traffic during a tropical storm. The good part (of course we didn't have destroyed luggage and clothes) is that we were able to see where the river meets the Gulf. I am glad we saw that.

It was boring as heck until then, as nothing was open and we literally sat in the cabin or walked around and looked at all the closed places. Not a thing to do... Stir crazy!!! I posted on here too, lol.

Look forward to tomorrow...

Hang in there!

The bars were closed?

We are on the Elation and we are delayed due to a oil spill there was a truck filling the ship when oil went everywhere over people luggage including mine its crazy its about 300 pieces of luggage more more to come.....

hows the smell?

first it was water on a different ship, and now oil.

what's going on??????

Archived