Wine package: Not a good deal !

rubens

w t f 35 bucks for Nunga, it would want to be from a blockbuster vintage to be worth it. For most vintages all the Nunga varietals are pretty average drinking.

Based on the Nunga price the Penfolds Bin Series Wines would cost 100 to 150 bucks or so on board.

The Villa Maria is a nice drop, although I did purchase some of it at Aldi for a massive 12 bucks a bottle.

Edited by hawkers2008

• 3 years later...

and your posts have helped me decide. Thanks for the enlightenment. I was thinking I would save money by purchasing a wine Package.

With as many wines on board, I just couldn't see limiting myself to the small selection. And to boot, its not a cost savings. Thank you thank you thank you. :)

Can someone tell me what the profit is on this package where the price per bottle is $ 35.98 ?

Is Celebrity aware of this ?

Will anyone here disclose the 'profit margins' for the Company they work for?

I don't think so :rolleyes:

Our favorite Red is $39.00-$43.00 a bottle on the shelf here in Dallas, but when ordered at our favorite restaurant 3 blocks away, it is $$71.00.

Dinning on a cruise ship is no different. Why anyone would think it should be is beyond me.

Our favorite Red is $39.00-$43.00 a bottle on the shelf here in Dallas, but when ordered at our favorite restaurant 3 blocks away, it is $$71.00.

Dinning on a cruise ship is no different. Why anyone would think it should be is beyond me.

I quite agree, I expect to pay more in a restaurant. Celebrity has a corkage fee of 25$ , I don't find that excessive either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your favorite restaurant has very good wine prices, either that or your wine store prices are very high. Around Chicago a wine with a retail going rate of $40 would be over $100 and maybe even over $150 at some restaurants.

Edited by Lsimon

A couple of misconceptions here. Taxes on wine are actually quite low. The Federal tax on wine is $1.07 per GALLON. In Florida another $2.25 per GALLON is added so the taxes are about SIXTY CENTS per bottle. Not much avoided. And the tax rate on liquor is much much higher.

The difficulty is when Celebrity needs to replenish wine or beer overseas. While it is duty free they are at the mercy of the distributor. There is less competition and since Celebrity is not a huge consumer of wine or liqour (compared to huge retail chains) they actually pay more. Same situation in Arizona where one needs to buy 500 cases of Bacardi to obtain the highest discount in a single shipment and that discount is usually offered twice a year. Not likely any single ship can buy that much as they need it ship and port specific. The retail chain grocery and liquor stores can usually buy 10-20% cheaper than a cruise line.

Celebrity makes its money on individual drinks, just like the local bar or restaurant at home! The difference is your local restaurant is promoting wine to try to get you to come in and eat. Celebrity is promoting its food and offering you wine. It also uses the profits on alcoholic beverages to keep fares low. I personally am grateful i can bring a couple good bottles of vino on board each cruise!

Your favorite restaurant has very good wine prices, either that or your wine store prices are very high. Around Chicago a wine with a retail going rate of $40 would be over $100 and maybe even over $150 at some restaurants.

Take a look Larry,

http://store.theprisonerwine.com/myaccount/c.cfm?i=FrZTsS%2B1fbpQygQabsLGHg%3D%3D

http://www.theprisonerwinecompany.com/the-prisoner/

It has a 92 point WA rating.

Edited by wallie5446

BevMo charges $3.99 for the White Zinfandel, Beringer, California

Irrelevant. Name me one restaurant where you will pay only $3.99 for a bottle of this wine. You need to keep things in perspective. Prices in ANY restaurant are more than you would pay for it at a big-box discount beverage store. You are arguing apples against oranges.

Besides, BevMo in my area charges $5.99 for a bottle, not $3.99 - unless it is on the occasional only sale, making your example even more irrelevant.

Edited by sloopsailor

Prisoner runs $40.00 at Mariano's (Larry should recognize the store). I would expect to pay about $120 out for it. We often drink this at home. It is a great wine.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
BevMo charges $3.99 for the White Zinfandel, Beringer, California

Yeah, but I still wouldnt drink it!!:eek::eek:Cant believe Celebrity even have it on a wine list, its pop! Looks like we wont be drinkng much on our next cruise, we really hate being ripped off on wine prices. :mad:

Edited by firstcarib
Typo

My question for the wine 'experts' commenting here is, how in the world can you know which variety X is using until you see the actual label?

I would venture to guess that each winery has at least three (3) varieties of various qualities of each wine they produce. If you know which it is before seeing the label name, bravo for you. There are a few wineries which only have one (1) product, I Am sure.

Please let me, at least, know how you know which vintage/type it is.

bon voyage and good drinking, if you are drinking...

My question for the wine 'experts' commenting here is, how in the world can you know which variety X is using until you see the actual label?

I would venture to guess that each winery has at least three (3) varieties of various qualities of each wine they produce. If you know which it is before seeing the label name, bravo for you. There are a few wineries which only have one (1) product, I Am sure.

You wouldn't know the vintage, but in the case of most of the wines on the Celebrity list, you can tell what it is from the description, certainly enough to look it up. The descriptions on the list are accurate enough to be able to tell which wine you are looking at. From a description perspective, the lists I've seen are written fine.

You can almost always guess the vintage though. Unless you are looking at the expensive reserve list selections, you are almost always looking at either the current release or the year before that.

If you are talking about the less expensive wine packages or the wine by the glass list then it is a pretty good assumption that the wines are the least expensive variety from the winery, if they have different versions, and a pretty recent vintage. If you are talking about a nicer bottle of wine from the list of bottled wines then the variety (such as a "reserve") will often be on the wine list and you can ask the wine steward to check the vintage or show you the bottle if that makes a difference to you.

maybe they took the international Master Sommelier test ;)

The only way to know the vintage is to read it on the label unless you are aware that it is a very special batch of reserve that only comes around every few years.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a TA on the Equinox, your right wine packages are no good, I didn't purchase one and was happy with my choice. That's right choice. Also For the price of a drink premium package I was able to have Two massages, a meal in murano. A reidel wine tasting and two other wine tastings. I also had the Cocktails and wine at dinner.

And I did little shopping.

Ps and a espresso macchiato when I felt like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Flamencacha