Overdue Review - Radiance and Denali, with pictures

ULCajunCruiser

Beautiful photos! Thanks so much for sharing :). We are doing the northbound from vancouver cruise as well then taking 10 days to explore on our own with a car rental. Cannot wait!

Edited by pmjnh

You know I've given that a lot of thought. I can buy into the theory that you want to do the land portion first, cause you're nice and fresh and then have the 7 days to relax. But I'm not convinced thats necessarily true. Ours was not a relaxing, take it easy type of cruise. the 2 sea days, maybe. Other than that, we were up at dawn and on the go. We didn't come on this cruise to sit on the ship afterall.

So I think if I did it again, I'd do it the same exact way. Starting in Vancouver and working my my north. Each place is more spectacular than the last, so you're building up to the finale, Denali!!!!

We are doing a Northbound Cruise and Land Tour in July. We are hoping to be in the lucky 30% who get to see McKinley. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Murf

Edited by Skiah

We are doing a roundtrip to Juneau out of Seattle on HAL's first cruise of the season this May. There will be 7 of us going on our first cruise on the Westerdam and to Alaska.

Just looking at pictures and hearing everyone's comments on this board makes me believe any itinerary on any ship as long as it's to Alaska is going to be good.

I can hardly wait, but I'm getting a little worried about the weather in May. I think it will be a little cooler than it was for you in August.

Thanks again for the review.

Gloria

pmjnh, Skiah & TexasGal#35

Glad everyone is enjoying the pics. I cannot tell you often enough, they do not do the actual scenery any justice at all!!!

Hoping you all enjoy your cruises. Weather is a crapshoot at any time, so just hope for the best and plan for the worst!! And if you are headed up to Denali, I've got my fingers crossed for you. That's one beautiful mountain, I hope it's out for you!!!

Love your pictures!! Thanks for sharing!! Makes it even harder to wait for our cruise on the Statendam -- Vancouver to Seward and then north to Anchorage and then Denali for 4 days. We leave August 26th!!

We plan to hike in Denali -- did you do any hiking?

We did the Inside Passage -- Vancouver round trip in 2008, so we are only planning one excursion -- Juneau -- Whale Watching with Harv & Marv. But hope to just explore the other ports on our own -- do a little hiking, etc.

We are from Central Texas and understand average temps are in 60's.

Love your pictures!! Thanks for sharing!! Makes it even harder to wait for our cruise on the Statendam -- Vancouver to Seward and then north to Anchorage and then Denali for 4 days. We leave August 26th!!

We plan to hike in Denali -- did you do any hiking?

We did the Inside Passage -- Vancouver round trip in 2008, so we are only planning one excursion -- Juneau -- Whale Watching with Harv & Marv. But hope to just explore the other ports on our own -- do a little hiking, etc.

We are from Central Texas and understand average temps are in 60's.

Yep, I'd say 60's is about right. Much colder on the ship, in the rain or on the ice. Warmer when just walking around town.

No, we did a lot of window shopping. But no hiking.

Hope you have a great cruise!!!

I'm sorry!!! :p We sailed at the end of the season last summer, so didn't feel rushed to get this done. But decided today was a good day. Everyone should go once!!!!!

Well, you see that's where it all starts. If you go once, you'll only want to go back again and again and again. :D

Alaska will grab your heart and soul. It is a magical and glorious place that pictures and videos simply cannot capture (although you did a fantastic job!) It is a spiritual experience that envelopes all 5 senses in a way you never thought possible.

Go once, but expect to go back many times. :D

Well this was just wonderful, but how come you are on the computer instead of out at a parade? :D You are a terrific photographer, and you give me hope that I will get some decent pictures with my point and shoot. The zoom is pretty decent, but I had been worried I needed a lot of lenses and a fancy camera.

We are headed up in May, Vancouver to Seward on Zaandam and then the land tour to Denali, so these were an awesome teaser! Sounds like you had done your research and made your plans well - hope I do as well. I also like your attitude about the weather, trips, and everything. I am sure that helped you to have a great time. :)

DizzyDallasDi, you are exactly right. I hope that I get back there again!!!!

Pittypatbr, parades tonight!!!! :D

I feel like I hit the lottery with my camera. As I said, its a Sony CyberShot DSC-HX100V. Its a bit on the bulky side for a point and shoot, but I think it took fantastic pictures and was so easy to use. It has a 36X zoom, so taking pictures of those distant moutains was not a problem. To top all that off, it shoots HD video!!! I bought a 32 gb SD card, so never fretted about space, and I always carried a spare battery, so I was good for pretty much all day.

Yes, I did extensive research, and we were lucky that things fell into place for us. This board was an invaluable asset, these guys basically took me by the hand and walked me through each stop!!!!

Totally outstanding pics Cajun Cruiser! Hubby and I were on Sept. 2011 Coral Princess, same itinerary in reverse. We got alot of the same shots. Ironically, I researched and bought same camera before trip, knowing the super zoom would be needed. I was not disappointed. How thrilling it was to come home and see the "zoomed in" shots of Denali. Still breathtaking months later. Not to mention all the eagle pics! Thanks for

sharing, loved them all. By the way, happy Mardi Gras!

JoRoy218, mais Happy Mardi Gras to you too!!

I was very pleased with my camera, so easy to use and though I'm no expert, I so very pleased with the way the pictures turned out!!

Was Mt Mckinley out for you too?? Don't you feel lucky?? It was bonus stuff for us, cause out trip had gone so well and we really didn't expect to see it out. But when it was there, how majestic!!!!

I was very pleased with my camera, so easy to use and though I'm no expert, I so very pleased with the way the pictures turned out!
AWESOME pictures. They took my bteath away! Did you use the advanced features of your camera or leave it on point and shoot? I was planning on taking my little camera, which does have a few advanced features, but seeing your pictures has me reconsidering taking my big Nikon!

Thank you for sharing with us (and getting us real excited)!

AWESOME pictures. They took my bteath away! Did you use the advanced features of your camera or leave it on point and shoot? I was planning on taking my little camera, which does have a few advanced features, but seeing your pictures has me reconsidering taking my big Nikon!

Glad you enjoyed them, hope you have as great a time as we did!!!

As far as the camera goes, I just left it in AUTO, (it has several automatic modes, I choose SUPERIOR AUTO). Tried a few pictures in landscape mode, which I did not think came out as nice, so I just left it in SUPERIOR AUTO for just about everything I took.

Those were spactacular pictures. I wouldn't expect anything else from a Cajun. I really enjoyed them. I was from Convent,LA before I became a Red Neck.

Us Coon a__es can get lucky at times. We are scheduled for our 5th trip to Alaska in June,(some not cruises) but I don't think I have seen any better pictures anywhere. That looked like a Royal Caribbean Ship. Hopefully being here will get some of that luck to rub off.

Bring every camera and pair of binouclars you have and and work to use all of them for maximum return on your trip investment.

Those were spactacular pictures. I wouldn't expect anything else from a Cajun. I really enjoyed them. I was from Convent,LA before I became a Red Neck.

Us Coon a__es can get lucky at times. We are scheduled for our 5th trip to Alaska in June,(some not cruises) but I don't think I have seen any better pictures anywhere. That looked like a Royal Caribbean Ship. Hopefully being here will get some of that luck to rub off.

As we say, better lucky than good!!!

Appreciate you saying you liked my pictures, and yes we were on the Radiance of the Seas!!

Glad you enjoyed them, hope you have as great a time as we did!!!

As far as the camera goes, I just left it in AUTO, (it has several automatic modes, I choose SUPERIOR AUTO). Tried a few pictures in landscape mode, which I did not think came out as nice, so I just left it in SUPERIOR AUTO for just about everything I took.

You have a great camera! I took my Nikon on our Canada/New England cruise and got some really nice pictures. However, I spent more time getting the camera set up for the perfect picture than I did in just enjoying what I was seeing. :D

You have a great camera! I took my Nikon on our Canada/New England cruise and got some really nice pictures. However, I spent more time getting the camera set up for the perfect picture than I did in just enjoying what I was seeing. :D

Thank you, I think so too!! That was part of my thnking in getting a point and shoot, (of course, the fact that I've never used a SLR wieghed heavily too!! :D )

Loved the bear pictures! We could only see a few bears on our Alaskan cruise last August. The wet and gloomy Alaskan summer weather really spoiled your great pics! Ours were the same...3 colours in all: black, white and gray!!!

well, wink wink :rolleyes:, this gives me a reason to go back!!! Although everything was awesome and I already feel lucky for Mt MCkinley, I can't help but wonder what Misty Fjords or Mendenhall Glacier would look like in bright sunlight???? Hopefully get a chance to find out one day!!

Thank you so much for the pictures and all of the info!! DH and I are leaving on May 21st for our 11 day cruisetour and we are busy getting ready.

Particularly grateful for the camera info!!

Question for you.....Is there anything that you wish you had taken with you and didnt?

Patricia

Thank you so much for the pictures and all of the info!! DH and I are leaving on May 21st for our 11 day cruisetour and we are busy getting ready.

Particularly grateful for the camera info!!

Question for you.....Is there anything that you wish you had taken with you and didnt?

Patricia

Patricia, hope you have as great a time as we did. As far as not bringing anything?? I think we were pretty much set, almost to the point that we had too much stuff. But you just have to be ready for rain or shine, and temps anywhere from below freezing to 70!!! If I had to do it all over again, I think I'd take more video. I thought I was taking a lot, but once back home I saw that I had only 20 or so vids, and nearly 1500 pictures!! :eek:

Thank you for the amazing pictures! We live in Houston, down here in the heat and humidity along with you, and we are going to Alaska for the first time this August. After seeing your pictures, I can't wait! Thanks again!

Thanks!!! You're just gonna love the "humidity" in Alaska in August!!!! :D

No comparison!! Hope ya'll have a great trip!!

• 1 month later...