Overdue Review - Radiance and Denali, with pictures

ULCajunCruiser

Pictures are gorgeous! I'm trying to decide what to do in Anchorage/Denali.

Sharon,

Thanks very much, glad you enjoyed them.

So when are you going on your cruise, is it northbound or southbound, where is your flight into and out of, how many in your group and most importantly how much time will you have for the Anchorage/Denali part of your trip??? Maybe someone I or someone else here can help??

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the report and the amazing photos!!

We just re-booked Alaska. We went on CCL's Spirit Southbound in 2007. We did 8 nights pre cruise from Denali to Seward. It was amazing Weather was perfect! Saw Mt. McKinely out for 2 days straight.

I'm so afraid this trip won't compare because we had such good luck with everything last time lol

Anyway, we are doing a CT for 4 nights starting in Fairbanks, then the Radiance Southbound.

What side of the ship did you have and how was the view? I currently have deck 8 midship, port side.

SunFunCruiser, I'm jealous that you get to do it again!!! LOL

Hope its everything you remember and more. You were lucky first time, no reason not to be even luckier this time around.

We were on Deck 9, on the hump, starboard side, northbound. So you'll have the same views we had, and they were awesome!!!

Have a great time!!!

• 5 weeks later...
DAY 4: Icy Stait Point (con't)

Bears 8

22164814-bears38.jpg

Bears 9

22165339-bears50.jpg

Bears 10

22170249-bears56.jpg

As I said, a very good day, despite the rain during the whale watching!!!

What tour did you book for the whale watching and the bears?

Thanks Dawn

Edited by floridajourneygirl
add email

ULCajunCruiser, awesome photos!!

We'll be on the Radiance starting 8/31 and I'm trying to figure out if we have enough time to port in Seward on Friday morning get to Denali, see anything, and then get back to Anchorage for a flight on Saturday night at 11:25pm

Any feedback you could provide on that would be appreciated! I know that it's short, but we have to be back to work on Monday morning, so we can't fly home on Sunday.

TIA

ULCajunCruiser, awesome photos!!

We'll be on the Radiance starting 8/31 and I'm trying to figure out if we have enough time to port in Seward on Friday morning get to Denali, see anything, and then get back to Anchorage for a flight on Saturday night at 11:25pm

Any feedback you could provide on that would be appreciated! I know that it's short, but we have to be back to work on Monday morning, so we can't fly home on Sunday.

TIA

Dana

I dunno?? I know its about a 5 hour drive from Anchorage to Denali (To the National Park Entrance). So yes you can easily get there spend the night, do something(???) for most of the day Saturday, and then leave mid afternoon and be back in Anchorage in time for your flight. You'd be rushed though, but if the moutin is out, its a spectacular view driving there and back!!!

Maybe someone with more local knowledge can suggest something better to do with your Saturday without putting you 5 hours away???

If your heart is set on Denali though, it is doable. Be aware though that just getting into DNP is no guarentee of seeing Mt McKinley. We were on a bus tour, and caught our first glimpse of the mountain after about 3 1/2 hours, and it was probably another hour after that before you could really see it as more than just a peak!! If you plan on doing it, get info on the buses, try ot get on an early one, and keep your fingers crossed!! I attached a couple of pictures for reference. We left the motel at 6:30, the first pic was taken at 8:50, and the second at 9:45 (oops, wouldn't let me put both pics here)

Good luck!!!

1401687895_27085252-MtMcKinley001.jpg.c1aad4f455f53933e869ffcc6e3c95d0.jpg

Edited by ULCajunCruiser
correction

Blondie--we are on the Radiance with you and going to Denali. While it is humanly possible to do the trip it would not be a pleasant trip.

We are taking the Park Connect bus that leaves Seward at 10:30 AM. It stops for 1.5 hrs in Anchorage and 30 mins in Talkeetna. It gets to Denali at 9PM. If you had a rental car you could leave earlier (a little) and take shorter stops. However, you will likely want to make stops at scenic locations. I doubt you would get there much before we do.

You could get the first shuttle of the morning--making sure you leave the park for Anchorage by 2:00-ish.

Several AK experts have answered a similar post and HIGHLY suggest you not do this. They suggest taking your time in Seward or spending a day in Anchorage.

Did you take the Aramark Kantishna Experience Tour or the Kantishna Wilderness Trails Tour from the Roadhouse? Any thoughts on the length of the tour and time at the stops? Did you have time at Eielsen to look around? Did you get to walk around Wonder lake? Thanks for any insight you can provide on the Kantishna tour.

Did you take the Aramark Kantishna Experience Tour or the Kantishna Wilderness Trails Tour from the Roadhouse? Any thoughts on the length of the tour and time at the stops? Did you have time at Eielsen to look around? Did you get to walk around Wonder lake? Thanks for any insight you can provide on the Kantishna tour.

MusicalBear, we were on the Kantishna Widerness Tour. We left from the McKinley Chalet Resort and went to the Kantishna Roadhouse, where we had lunch. We chose to take a flight tour back from there. I was very happy with the bus tour, we stopped regularly at scheduled stops and also whenever wildlife was spotted. Plenty of time at those stops to walk around and take pictures. However, there was no stop at Wonder Lake. I would guess that it took us 6 to 7 hours to get to the Roadhouse, and I'd assume about the same to get back. Long day, but worth it in my opinion. If seeing the mountain is a priority, you have to plan to get to at least Eielson!!

• 3 years later...

I read your review of your Alaska cruise & land tour. I am from New Iberia & in the process of planning a DIY land tour of Alaska. I have already done the cruise so we are planning on flying in to Anchorage. Could you please share some specifics of your trip like hotels, rental car agency, etc. We want to go to Denali, Seward, Homer, Girdwood. Any insights would be helpful to another Ragin Cajun.

I read your review of your Alaska cruise & land tour. I am from New Iberia & in the process of planning a DIY land tour of Alaska. I have already done the cruise so we are planning on flying in to Anchorage. Could you please share some specifics of your trip like hotels, rental car agency, etc. We want to go to Denali, Seward, Homer, Girdwood. Any insights would be helpful to another Ragin Cajun.

Hi Biojeep

I did a lot of research back when we went 5 years ago, and felt like the options were bogging me down. Finally ended up calling Alaska Tour and Travel, and they took me by the hand and handled everything for me once we had docked in Seward. I would just give them a call. let them know what you'd like to do and listen to what their suggestions are. Their phone number is 1-800-208-0200, or google them and look at their website. They can assist with all or part of your DIY, you don't have to pick a "packaged" tour.

Good Luck and "Laissez le bon tons rouler"!! :D

Edited by ULCajunCruiser
spelling