Another first time cruiser

Gemynii

As far as I am concerned, there are few thinks that I absolutely have to have on a cruise and could not buy if I forgot. Obviously things like required perscriptions, eye glasses/contact, ID and paperwork, some clothes, money &/or credit cards are some that come to mind.

You mention that, you pretty much travel for a living. That being said, please share your absolute "must-have's" with us. I imagine that you try to keep your luggage as light and hassle free as possible. Nothing worse than, having to make a mad dash in-port for something you simply have to have.

No problem. Well, I try to keep my bags as light as possible on both business trips and leisure trips. Since I was just on a 5-night cruise last week, I'll share my packing list for that. I never once said "I wish I had _____". Note that I don't have kids, and understand that having kids can add some stuff to the list...but I also don't necessarily think it adds as much as some people pack (from following this website for many months now).

Anyways, here is what I brought for the 5-night cruise (plus 1-night before the cruise began):

5x short sleeve t-shirt

1x long-sleeve t-shirt

1x Jeans

2x shorts

Socks, underwear, undershirts as appropriate

1x swimsuit

1x Khakis/Dockers

1x Dress shirt

1x casual shoes

1x sandals

1x athletic shoes (never used them...waste)

1x belt

Camera w/charger

eBook

Noise Cancelling Headphones (for the plane)

iPhone w/charger

Laptop Computer w/charger (for work...couldn't escape it)

Sunglasses

Regular glasses (as a backup to my contact lenses)

Toothbrush

Shaver

Assorted Toiletries

Aleve/pain reliever

Bandaids

Sunscreen

Brita filtering water bottle

$150 cash in various bills between $1 and $20

Passport

I had everything combined in a 27lb. checked bag + 10lb. backpack carry-on (computer included). Like I said, I never said "I wish I had ____", an in fact took a bit too much. On the flip side, my girlfriend had 2 bags totaling 60 lbs. + a carry-on bag and stated every day that she brought WAYYYYY too much.

Just want to put another plug in here for stingray city at grand cayman, that was one of my highlights from my western carib cruise. The stingrays are so friendly and if you go with a private operator they make it much more personalized and take pictures for you, etc. We went through Island Marketing, I think. As I recall it wasn't an all day thing so maybe you could combine with a visit to the turtles?

Just want to put another plug in here for stingray city at grand cayman, that was one of my highlights from my western carib cruise. The stingrays are so friendly and if you go with a private operator they make it much more personalized and take pictures for you, etc. We went through Island Marketing, I think. As I recall it wasn't an all day thing so maybe you could combine with a visit to the turtles?

I looked at Stingray City as well, but figured that if we get the bigger package at the turtle farm (Cayman Turtle Farm and Boatswain's Beach) it would give us more of a variety of stuff to do... for $45 per adult, $25 under 12 minus 20% off when booked online includes:

Turtle Adventure Tour (Entire Park)

The Green’s Breeding Pond - The Breeding Pond is home to our green sea turtles who have matured and are at the age to start reproducing; which is usually at about 16 years of age. Green Sea turtles are the largest of the sea turtles and here you will find a few weighing in at more than 500 pounds!

Turtle Touch Tanks - Here you will find yearling turtles swimming and playing. Reach in to touch or pick one up for a photo of a lifetime!

Smiley’s Saltwater Lagoon - Smiley is a 9 foot saltwater crocodile trained to jump and put on a show!

Turtle Wading Touch Pool - Here you will find yearling turtles swimming and playing. You can get in the Touch Tank Wading Pools for an even closer encounter with our yearlings!

The Education Centre & Hatchery - Visit the education centre and learn more about the turtles. You can also view our turtle hatchery where during breeding season (May – October) you can witness new hatchlings making their way up through the sand of their incubation boxes!

Schooner’s Bar and Grill - Schooner's is an outside bar and grill where diners can relax on a covered deck overlooking Turtle Lagoon. The menu boasts a range of Caribbean and international items to tease and please every palete. Enjoy a tropical drink or ask for the island’s very own beer - Caybrew.

Splash Gift Shop - The gift shop has something for everyone, so don't forget to get a souvenir before you leave.

Turtle Lagoon - Swim in the lagoon with Green Sea Turtles and enjoy this wonderful experience. There are also little islands where peacocks live.

Predator Reef - Watch sharks and other predators through the underwater or dry view panels. Don't miss out on feeding time!

Caribbean Free Flight Aviary - Caribbean birds, including the Cayman Parrot fly freely in this large aviary.

Breaker’s Lagoon - This is the largest swimming pool on Cayman with two waterfalls and an underwater view of the predator tank.

Turtle Twister Waterslide - This slide at the Breaker's Lagoon is the only one on Cayman and features two loops and over 600 gallons of rushing water per minute.

Blue Hole Nature Trail - Stroll along this trail and view the beautiful nature that Cayman has to offer, iincluding the national flower and even butterflies.

Cayman Street - Walk down this gravel street to view old Cayman architecture, featuring sand gardens and conch shells

Thanks for your suggestion though... it'll give us an excuse to go on another cruise. :)

Archived