Another first time cruiser

Gemynii

Hey everyone! I've been reading the forums for almost a couple of weeks now, but just made my first post last night. We're booked on the Carnival Paradise out of Tampa on 7/14/12 for the 5 day to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. There's going to be 9 of us... Myself, my DH, our 12yr old DD as well as my sis, her hubby, their 2 daughters (8 & 11), our mom and her BF. Our family of 3 and my 2 nieces are first time cruisers, but the cruise that sis and her hubby went on was one they won that was short and not much fun.

I've been soooo excited ever since we booked and have become addicted to CC. I'm trying to go ahead and get the planning done a bit at a time during the 5 months until we sail rather than stressing over trying to get it done at the last minute. My sis calls me obsessed :p

I've put together a spreadsheet with items to pack and little ideas and words of wisdom that I've picked up here in the forums. Obviously, not everything on the list is needed, but if anyone sees something that is definitely not needed or something that I've left off, please let me know: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkwYa6U5VOaqdDJjNWZVN2N4T2pxU0NKSHVQdDVUV0E&hl=en_US#gid=1

I also thought that these: http://shop.halloweenadventure.com/tropical-window-view-add-ons-p25440c366.aspx?Thread=True would be good for door decorations because it's enough for all 3 of our rooms.

I've posted on my cruise's ROLL CALL section... so far, there's only 1 other poster on there.

I've done some research on the ports and have gotten Franko's Maps for both of them. Right now I'm wanting to go to Chankanaab in Cozumel and Boatswain's Beach (Turtle Farm) in Grand Cayman. If anyone has a past experience with these locations or have other recommendations for the ports of call, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks for letting me ramble on... I look forward to hearing from everyone :D

Wow - you're super organized! :)

I don't carry a lot of the stuff that you're planning to pack. I used to carry more stuff, but realized that most of it sat unused (and was a pain to haul around).

I don't bring a laundry hamper, just leave one suitcase open in the bottom of the closet with a couple of plastic bags (which I otherwise use for packing my shoes).

I'd take either duct tape or zip ties - probably duct tape because it's more useful if a zipper breaks or bag rips.

I don't bring air freshener, but have once taken a battery operated candle that did have a scent. I will bring a small pack of disinfecting wipes for use on the phone, tv remote & that's about it. Then toss the package. Same with makeup removers, I buy the travel size packets.

I don't pack soda or a big water mug, although I have carried a small water bottle that can be refilled. I might take a couple of bottles of Pepsi One onboard and then buy another one or two when on shore. Again, after a few cruises I got sick of carrying that stuff around. Plus, walking to the beverage station burns a few calories which allows me to eat more desserts ;)

Anything that I can live without for a week I don't carry.

But packing lists are very personal, so my only suggestion is to look at what you're planning to pack and think about how much you'll miss it if you don't have it for a week. Enjoy planning for your first cruise!

I don't bring a laundry hamper, just leave one suitcase open in the bottom of the closet with a couple of plastic bags (which I otherwise use for packing my shoes).

I found the mesh bag for $1. I was planning on keeping it in the empty suitcase under the bed where it won't take up room and will be ready when we disembark.

I'd take either duct tape or zip ties - probably duct tape because it's more useful if a zipper breaks or bag rips.

I was thinking of using 1 zip-tie to "lock" our luggage and sticking 1 or 2 in the bottom of the front zippered compartment just in case security has to cut off the 1st one. I've heard mixed opinions on the duct tape, but I'm definitely going to pack some. Maybe cut strips and stick them on the inside of the luggage where they don't take up space like some people recommended.

I don't bring air freshener

I have to go into the bathroom after my DH :eek:

I don't pack soda or a big water mug, although I have carried a small water bottle that can be refilled.

DH and I are big soda drinkers, but I think we can do without our normal quantity of it for 5 days. I was thinking 1 bottle pp/pd that can be packed in our carry on (5 per carry on). I personally don't need a mug, but DH drinks 2 travel mugs of coffee every morning, so I thought it may benefit him. The water bottle that you suggested will work for me. I just need my caffeine (soda) in the morning then I'll be happy with water, tea, etc. BTW, do you know if the free tea is the instant stuff?

look at what you're planning to pack and think about how much you'll miss it if you don't have it for a week.

Very good advice!!

Thanks so much for your help!

To pack the duct tape we wrapped about 4 yards around an old plastic luggage tag.

Comes out about the same size as a deck of cards.

Instead of packing a travel mug you can buy one on your cruise and it will double as a souvenir.

If you use zip ties to lock your luggage, remember that you will need some way to cut them open!

Good list but after a few cruises you may decide that you don't need all that stuff.

Have fun.

I'll probably narrow down the list a lot before July. I sent the list to the others that will be going with us, so I made sure that stuff that they might need was on there too. Thanks! :)

To pack the duct tape we wrapped about 4 yards around an old plastic luggage tag.

Comes out about the same size as a deck of cards.

Instead of packing a travel mug you can buy one on your cruise and it will double as a souvenir.

If you use zip ties to lock your luggage, remember that you will need some way to cut them open!

That's a good idea with the duct tape... that way it won't leave sticky residue on the luggage and will take up less room than the roll.

Do they sell the mugs on the ship? If so, how much do they normally cost? I know to wait until we are at sea to avoid tax. If we wait until our 1st port, poor DH will have to deal with small cup for a whole day and a half. :eek: I can just see him making the staff run back and forth with refills for him.

One of the tips on my list is to pack small scissors or nail clippers in the front compartment of the luggage to cut the ties off with. :D

:) On mesh bag for laundry- I bring the large (kitchen) trash bags for laundry. They take up no more room and they serve to keep the luggage from picking up any possible odors from smelly dirty clothes.

Disinfectant spray and air freshener- I pack a can of Lysol spray to use for both.

:) On mesh bag for laundry- I bring the large (kitchen) trash bags for laundry. They take up no more room and they serve to keep the luggage from picking up any possible odors from smelly dirty clothes.

Disinfectant spray and air freshener- I pack a can of Lysol spray to use for both.

I didn't even consider the smell of the dirty clothes getting into the fabric of the luggage. :o

And I'll probably do as you suggested and just bring one spray (such as Lysol) that works as both an air freshener and disinfectant.

Thanks!

Call me crazy, but I just took a 5 night cruise with clothes/swimsuit, a Britta water bottle, a camera, and an Amazon Kindle and found I needed absolutely nothing more. I can't imagine packing so much stuff...it's more than I took when I moved in to my dorm in college! :D :eek:

Just a couple of things...I notice you have a small battery operated fan and a mister listed. They sell battery operated mister bottles with fans at like $3 at WalMart that would cover both items and they have a neck strap so you can carry them handsfree. Also, I usually bring a small battery operated clock since they don't have clocks in the room. For laundry bags I use the re-usable grocery bags because they have straps to carry to and from the laundry and they don't take up much room in the suitcase when empty. :)

Call me crazy, but I just took a 5 night cruise with clothes/swimsuit, a Britta water bottle, a camera, and an Amazon Kindle and found I needed absolutely nothing more. I can't imagine packing so much stuff...it's more than I took when I moved in to my dorm in college! :D :eek:

Yeah, if I were to take everything on the list, I would need to bring a Uhaul. :p I'm still reading all the different posts on here to see what others think are necessary and what's a waste of space. I know it will vary for each person, but I'll be keeping all those opinions in mind. Thanks!

From April 2009

Thank you for posting those pics... I'm so excited to go to those locations! The beaches are so much prettier than they are here on the Gulf Coast of Florida. I'll probably only go in the water for the snorkeling at Chankanaab. Call me weird, but I don't care for the feel of saltwater or sand on my skin. My sis wants do take her kids to swim with the dolphins... I'll have to show her the pic you posted of that. I gave her the link to the Cozumel Tours website where the price was about $20 less than everywhere else. I think the kids will really enjoy Boatswain's. Of course I'll probably enjoy it as much as the kids. :p Do you think the taxi rates in Cozumel are about the same now as they were 3 years ago? I've also heard that the best transportation in Grand Cayman is the public bus which runs about $2.50 USD pp. Would you know if that is correct or not?

Thanks so much for your help.

Just a couple of things...I notice you have a small battery operated fan and a mister listed. They sell battery operated mister bottles with fans at like $3 at WalMart that would cover both items and they have a neck strap so you can carry them handsfree. Also, I usually bring a small battery operated clock since they don't have clocks in the room. For laundry bags I use the re-usable grocery bags because they have straps to carry to and from the laundry and they don't take up much room in the suitcase when empty. :)

I've seen those misting fans... I've always envied the people that had them at the Disney parks whenever we go. I listed them separately because if we got one of the tiny battery operated fans it would be small and light-weight and would come in handy on excursions. If it had the bottle, it would probably be one of those things where something that is normally not too heavy begins to feel so after a period of time. I was thinking of the spray bottle to use by the pool, but it makes more sense to me now to just jump in the pool to cool off. :p So, the bottle will probably come off the list when I finally pack. I had the battery operated alarm clock on the list under "electronics". I also saw some people mention folding travel alarm clocks that are about the size of a credit card when folded only a bit thicker. I may have to check into that. Thanks for your advice on the laundry bags, too. :)

I have a "hardware bag" that is actually a gal. ziploc that I keep packed for all my trips. There isn't much in it, but it is the things I have found I need. Small sewing kit, highlighter, small roll duct tape, an adapter that makes one plug-in into 3 (don't know what they are called), small LED flashlight, travel bottle of Fabreeze, Tide to Go pen, travel Downey wrinkle release and extra lighter (we smoke). I also tuck into suitcase a couple of kitchen trash bags for shoes, dirty clothes or wet swimsuits. I use a hanging shower caddy, that rolls up, for make up, few band aids, Imodium, Pepto, Tylenol and Dramamine. Sounds like a lot, but I buy travel size everything or take the blister pack meds out of the box to pack them. I can also pack DH's shaving things (travel size)in it as well.

I do take a water bottle for each of us, for port days, but it fits in a holder on our carry on backpacks. I was worried about doing without my soda for a week, but did just fine without carrying any onboard. Just didn't want to deal with the added weight of it. Since we don't fly, I use space bags to pack things. The two of us share one big checked bag and each have a backpack carry on.

Thank you for posting those pics... I'm so excited to go to those locations! The beaches are so much prettier than they are here on the Gulf Coast of Florida. I'll probably only go in the water for the snorkeling at Chankanaab. Call me weird, but I don't care for the feel of saltwater or sand on my skin. My sis wants do take her kids to swim with the dolphins... I'll have to show her the pic you posted of that. I gave her the link to the Cozumel Tours website where the price was about $20 less than everywhere else. I think the kids will really enjoy Boatswain's. Of course I'll probably enjoy it as much as the kids. Do you think the taxi rates in Cozumel are about the same now as they were 3 years ago? I've also heard that the best transportation in Grand Cayman is the public bus which runs about $2.50 USD pp. Would you know if that is correct or not?

Thanks so much for your help.

The last time I was in Cozumel was April 2009. I have not kept up with the taxi rates. However, I can post the rates from June 2007 for comparison ...

c-IMGP0631.jpg

As for Grand Cayman, I was on a ship sponsored tour, so the transportation was included.

More dolphin swim photos from August 2004 ...

Dolphinkiss.jpg

Dolphinjump.jpg

Dolphinshake.jpg

And the lockers (from April 2009) ...

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

I notice your plans are for Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman.

With the ages of the kids I would strongly suggest the snorkle & sting ray typ excursions. If you check the ports boards there are several operators that offer this MUCH cheaper then the cruise lines. Family has used Nativeway & Captain Marvin. Both were quite good.

I have a "hardware bag" that is actually a gal. ziploc that I keep packed for all my trips. There isn't much in it, but it is the things I have found I need. Small sewing kit, highlighter, small roll duct tape, an adapter that makes one plug-in into 3 (don't know what they are called), small LED flashlight, travel bottle of Fabreeze, Tide to Go pen, travel Downey wrinkle release and extra lighter (we smoke). I also tuck into suitcase a couple of kitchen trash bags for shoes, dirty clothes or wet swimsuits. I use a hanging shower caddy, that rolls up, for make up, few band aids, Imodium, Pepto, Tylenol and Dramamine. Sounds like a lot, but I buy travel size everything or take the blister pack meds out of the box to pack them. I can also pack DH's shaving things (travel size)in it as well.

I was going to keep a bunch of the little stuff in a shoebox size tupperware container until I'm ready to pack it, but having it pre-bagged like you do makes more sense. I want to go ahead and get some of the smaller inexpensive items bought and packed ahead of time. I'm gonna be checking out DollarTree and the WalMart trial-size isle today and see what I can find. I'm glad you pointed out extra lighters because I don't have it on the list and both myself and DH smoke.

I do take a water bottle for each of us, for port days, but it fits in a holder on our carry on backpacks. I was worried about doing without my soda for a week, but did just fine without carrying any onboard. Just didn't want to deal with the added weight of it. Since we don't fly, I use space bags to pack things. The two of us share one big checked bag and each have a backpack carry on.

I was looking at those "anti-bottles" that just roll up when you're not using them. They'd be convenient on excursions, but the drinks wouldn't be cold since the lid is so small, there is no way to add ice. I'm not sure if I could do without my sodas. :o We only live about an hour from our departure port, so I'm not too worried about bringing 2 suitcases for 3 people. We've been on 3-4 day land vacations with only 1 suitcase, but that was only 1 outfit pp/pd. I'll probably try out the space bags as well or do as others have suggested and pack each outfit separately in an appropriate size ziplock with the air pressed out. Not sure which would be better.

Archived