Another first time cruiser

Gemynii

Curious, why don't you use the wake up call offered by the cruise ship? Or bring your cell phone along and use it as your alarm clock?:confused:

I don't sleep too well and check the clock a lot when I wake up through out the night. It just seems more convenient to have the clock there than to fumble around in the dark for a watch. The alarm part of it is just a bonus. :)

The last time I was in Cozumel was April 2009. I have not kept up with the taxi rates. However, I can post the rates from June 2007 for comparison ...

Not too much of a difference. Are those signs posted right where you can see them at the port?

More dolphin swim photos from August 2004 ...

I have got to show these pics to my niece, she will love them!

I notice your plans are for Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman.

With the ages of the kids I would strongly suggest the snorkle & sting ray typ excursions. If you check the ports boards there are several operators that offer this MUCH cheaper then the cruise lines. Family has used Nativeway & Captain Marvin. Both were quite good.

The Turtle Farm was suggested by my DM (who will be traveling with our group) since she has been there before and thinks all the kids will enjoy it. We already have snorkeling planned for when we are at Chakanaab in Cozumel where it is free with admission. I really appreciate your suggestions! We still have a little time before we have to book our excursions... obviously don't want to wait too long. :)

I don't sleep too well and check the clock a lot when I wake up through out the night. It just seems more convenient to have the clock there than to fumble around in the dark for a watch. The alarm part of it is just a bonus. :)

We have a battery operated alarm clock that travels with us. As you said it is easy to check the time in the middle of the night. I find it is easier to get back to sleep knowing that I don't have to get up in a few minutes.

We have a battery operated alarm clock that travels with us. As you said it is easy to check the time in the middle of the night. I find it is easier to get back to sleep knowing that I don't have to get up in a few minutes.

Exactly. Now I just need to find the smallest one I can that is lit up.

Hi Cuizer2!

Your photos are so beautiful and i like them, thanks for posted to show me!

Hope you have fun in next trips!

My next trip is one week from today - on a ship that is not operating on full power. I'm not sure what is going to happen yet. But as long as the cruise is not cancelled - I'm going.

The signs are right outside the port where you board the taxis.

Thanks! I shared the pics you sent with my sis when we had lunch today... she loved them!

Made my trip to DollarTree and WalMart today for some of the little stuff. About 30 things :eek: but they're small and I can fit just about everything in a shoebox or gallon ziplock. I was bummed that the $Tree closest to me didn't have the hanging door organizer. :( I may have to try one of there other locations.

Hey everyone! I've been reading the forums for almost a couple of weeks now, but just made my first post last night. We're booked on the Carnival Paradise out of Tampa on 7/14/12 for the 5 day to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. There's going to be 9 of us... Myself, my DH, our 12yr old DD as well as my sis, her hubby, their 2 daughters (8 & 11), our mom and her BF. Our family of 3 and my 2 nieces are first time cruisers, but the cruise that sis and her hubby went on was one they won that was short and not much fun.

I've put together a spreadsheet with items to pack and little ideas and words of wisdom that I've picked up here in the forums. Obviously, not everything on the list is needed, but if anyone sees something that is definitely not needed or something that I've left off, please let me know: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkwYa6U5VOaqdDJjNWZVN2N4T2pxU0NKSHVQdDVUV0E&hl=en_US#gid=1

I also thought that these: http://shop.halloweenadventure.com/tropical-window-view-add-ons-p25440c366.aspx?Thread=True would be good for door decorations because it's enough for all 3 of our rooms.

I've posted on my cruise's ROLL CALL section... so far, there's only 1 other poster on there.

I've done some research on the ports and have gotten Franko's Maps for both of them. Right now I'm wanting to go to Chankanaab in Cozumel and Boatswain's Beach (Turtle Farm) in Grand Cayman. If anyone has a past experience with these locations or have other recommendations for the ports of call, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks for letting me ramble on... I look forward to hearing from everyone :D

I've been soooo excited ever since we booked and have become addicted to CC. I'm trying to go ahead and get the planning done a bit at a time during the 5 months until we sail rather than stressing over trying to get it done at the last minute. My sis calls me obsessed :p

Your obsession is a good thing!:D I loved reading your post because your excitement about your upcoming cruise brings a big smile to my face. I know exactly how you feel.

A couple of things I take that you might be interested in that are not on your list are:

You didn't mention writing pens to go with your notebook/journal but I'm sure you plan to take those Just thought I'd mention it in case you did forget.

I would add a small first aid kit since you are traveling with small kids. Bandaids, neosporyn, hydrocortisone cream, advil (or whatever you or the children take), whatever you think you might need.

A small sewing kit.

And also, and this is just me, I never travel without my Swiss Army knife which of course I always pack in my checked luggage or without a few extra wire hangers which I leave behind after my cruise. I get mine 12 for 99cents at the store of the same name. They take up almost no space at all in my suitcase and I can't live without them, fashionista that I am.:D

Your laundry bag is perfect, (I use one of those small pop-up hampers from the dollar store myself) as who wants to keep pulling out and putting back your luggage from under the bed. Big hassle that.

Whatever, I wish you and your group a really great cruise!

You didn't mention writing pens to go with your notebook/journal but I'm sure you plan to take those Just thought I'd mention it in case you did forget.

I had pens and highlighters on the line under notebook/journal on my Basics column. I managed to get the pens, highlighters and a purse size 3 subject notebook today at $Tree. :)

I would add a small first aid kit since you are traveling with small kids. Bandaids, neosporyn, hydrocortisone cream, advil (or whatever you or the children take), whatever you think you might need.

I had the first aid kit under my Toiletries category. I looked around while shopping today and couldn't even find one at WalMart. :( What I may end up doing is making my own with all the first aid items, meds etc and keeping it in a Ziplock.

A small sewing kit.

Had this on my Basics column... another thing I managed to pick up today for $1

And also, and this is just me, I never travel without my Swiss Army knife which of course I always pack in my checked luggage

Good idea! Ya never know when you'll need a knife or screwdriver. I have one that I keep in my purse now... I'll just move it over to the suitcase before we leave.

or without a few extra wire hangers which I leave behind after my cruise. I get mine 12 for 99cents at the store of the same name. They take up almost no space at all in my suitcase and I can't live without them, fashionista that I am.:D

Another good idea. I'm not used to hanging up clothes that often since I usually wear jeans and t-shirts that don't wrinkle much. Of course I'm going to bring some nice outfits to wear in the MDR that I'll probably need to hang up.

Your laundry bag is perfect, (I use one of those small pop-up hampers from the dollar store myself) as who wants to keep pulling out and putting back your luggage from under the bed. Big hassle that.

I'm disappointed that I didn't find one of the pop-up versions today at $Tree and all the bags looked like they would rip apart if weight was added. By the time I got done with the "trial size" bins at WalMart, I had to rush to get home to make dinner, so I didn't get the chance to look for one there.

Whatever, I wish you and your group a really great cruise!

Thanks for all your advice and for your good wishes. :)

Good idea! Ya never know when you'll need a knife or screwdriver. I have one that I keep in my purse now... I'll just move it over to the suitcase before we leave.

Just curious, but what do you think you could possibly need a screwdriver for on vacation? Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I am literally 2 days off a cruise ship and I cannot think of one thing I could possibly need a screwdriver for...

Just curious, but what do you think you could possibly need a screwdriver for on vacation? Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I am literally 2 days off a cruise ship and I cannot think of one thing I could possibly need a screwdriver for...

Um... just an example... some of the stuff brought will be battery operated due to the lack of power outlets. Sometimes the battery compartment is held secure with a screw. If the batteries ran down and I needed to replace them, I would need to unscrew it. I'm not saying that this would happen and most stuff would have new batteries put in before the trip anyways... just saying it's a possible use for it. If I were to bring the pocket knife, it already has the screwdriver attached, so it's not like I would be bringing anything extra.

I'm seeing so many different opinions throughout the forums... some people highly recommend something and someone else will say the same thing is useless to bring. I'm taking everything into consideration and I still have almost 5 months to get everything together. I'm sure half of the list I made will be crossed off as things I can do without by then.

I appreciate your input and if you see anything else on my list that you think should definitely be left off, please let me know. I want to get as many suggestions as I can. Thanks!

Um... just an example... some of the stuff brought will be battery operated due to the lack of power outlets. Sometimes the battery compartment is held secure with a screw. If the batteries ran down and I needed to replace them, I would need to unscrew it. I'm not saying that this would happen and most stuff would have new batteries put in before the trip anyways... just saying it's a possible use for it. If I were to bring the pocket knife, it already has the screwdriver attached, so it's not like I would be bringing anything extra.

I'm seeing so many different opinions throughout the forums... some people highly recommend something and someone else will say the same thing is useless to bring. I'm taking everything into consideration and I still have almost 5 months to get everything together. I'm sure half of the list I made will be crossed off as things I can do without by then.

I appreciate your input and if you see anything else on my list that you think should definitely be left off, please let me know. I want to get as many suggestions as I can. Thanks!

I guess that could be legit, but I do think (as you mention) it's best to make sure everything has brand new (BRAND new) batteries before you leave. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just know a lot of people on here pack insane amounts of stuff they never use and then recommend others to do it, and I'm trying to be on the other shoulder saying "ahhh...do you REALLY need that?" Things like screwdrivers may be small, but if you start convincing yourself you need all these small things, they eventually add up to become a big bag that may never get used more than once or twice, if at all. I pretty much travel for a living and, over the 5.5 years I've been doing it, have perfected my packing and know what I need and don't need. It's amazing how much you realize you don't need when you travel.

I guess that could be legit, but I do think (as you mention) it's best to make sure everything has brand new (BRAND new) batteries before you leave. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just know a lot of people on here pack insane amounts of stuff they never use and then recommend others to do it, and I'm trying to be on the other shoulder saying "ahhh...do you REALLY need that?" Things like screwdrivers may be small, but if you start convincing yourself you need all these small things, they eventually add up to become a big bag that may never get used more than once or twice, if at all. I pretty much travel for a living and, over the 5.5 years I've been doing it, have perfected my packing and know what I need and don't need. It's amazing how much you realize you don't need when you travel.

I didn't think you were being a jerk. It was a logical inquiry. I do intend to go through the things that I'll be packing up until the eve of our cruise and will end up discarding a lot of the stuff. Since I still have months before we leave it will give me more time to consider which items will be needed. :)

You don't need to bring hangars. If there are not enough in our closet, we just ask the cabin steward for more.

On Liberty last week, I couldn't imagine the sheer number of hangers in our closet. Even with my girlfriend doing a massive overpack job, we had several unused.

You don't need to bring hangars. If there are not enough in our closet, we just ask the cabin steward for more.

On Liberty last week, I couldn't imagine the sheer number of hangers in our closet. Even with my girlfriend doing a massive overpack job, we had several unused.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

I would look over all lists of things to bring and decide what you need. I see these lists on here all the time. We have been on 25 cruises, with the longest being 44 days and most of stuff on the lists we have never brought and never missed.

I would look over all lists of things to bring and decide what you need. I see these lists on here all the time. We have been on 25 cruises, with the longest being 44 days and most of stuff on the lists we have never brought and never missed.

The majority of the stuff on my list was compiled from lists and suggestions here on CC. Most of it made sense when I put it on there, but since I've continued reading posts and have received input from others, I can see a lot of stuff that I can definitely do without. I've left everything on there for now in case others in our group feel that one of the items is necessary that I have decided is not. I should be able to cut down the list quite a bit by July.

Thanks for your advice! :)

The majority of the stuff on my list was compiled from lists and suggestions here on CC. Most of it made sense when I put it on there, but since I've continued reading posts and have received input from others, I can see a lot of stuff that I can definitely do without. I've left everything on there for now in case others in our group feel that one of the items is necessary that I have decided is not. I should be able to cut down the list quite a bit by July.

Thanks for your advice! :)

Other than a carry-on, you shouldn't need much more than this ...

too-much-luggage.jpgbaggage1.jpg

You mention that, you pretty much travel for a living. That being said, please share your absolute "must-have's" with us. I imagine that you try to keep your luggage as light and hassle free as possible. Nothing worse than, having to make a mad dash in-port for something you simply have to have.

You mention that, you pretty much travel for a living. That being said, please share your absolute "must-have's" with us. I imagine that you try to keep your luggage as light and hassle free as possible. Nothing worse than, having to make a mad dash in-port for something you simply have to have.

That's where I keep getting confused and why my list is so long... what some people consider a "must have", I might find I can live without and vice versa. I just keep adding every suggestion to my list. :p I'm waiting for someone to suggest that one special item that I would have forgotten that is a definite must have. I guess we'll figure everything out in the end, and if not, we'll know for next time. :)

Archived