Guys Burgers & Fries on Carnival Liberty

Kreeb

They do, but it's obvious from the video that this is not one with a refrigerated drawer like the one shown in that link.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Oh, yes, I see now. I was at work earlier & hadn't watched the video. Watching it now though; as time goes on, it seems like the stack of trays underneath gets bigger, so for sanity's sake, I'm going to assume they're bringing out one tray of meat at a time and stacking it on the empties. :o

Why does it matter if Guy has his name plastered on it. Carnival will still cook the hamburger just one step under charcoal. I guess all the extra topping is only way you can get taste from a Carnival hamburger.

Also pleasantly surprised with that one - mine had a bit of pink in it still. :) I'm one those people that will eat a rare hamburger, though. :eek:

Hardees Monster Thickburger is 1420 cal 107g of fat

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6498304/ns/business-retail/t/hardees-serves--calorie-burger/#.T0BJC04gfB0

041116_monsterTB.grid-6x2.jpg

This is the Quadruple Bypass burger...8000 calories(for the meal)

Served at the Heart Attack Grill in Vegas

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/healthquest/heart-attack-grill-in-vegas-come-hungry-leave-in-an-ambulance

Quadruple-Bypass-Burger.jpg

quadruple_bypass_burger.jpg

That makes a Guy Burger look low cal..lol

Oh, man! Damn that looks like it made a deal with a funeral house!

Oh, yes, I see now. I was at work earlier & hadn't watched the video. Watching it now though; as time goes on, it seems like the stack of trays underneath gets bigger, so for sanity's sake, I'm going to assume they're bringing out one tray of meat at a time and stacking it on the empties. :o

Let's hope so! DH and I got really sick at a resort in Mexico where they were grilling burgers to order. We realized later they had been sitting raw, in the sun the whole time...

I probably won't be able to finish a whole one; but food like that is why we try to run 5 miles in every port :D I too refuse to diet on vacation!

Also pleasantly surprised with that one - mine had a bit of pink in it still. :) I'm one those people that will eat a rare hamburger, though. :eek:

Not on the cruise I was on, every hamburger I had was nearly burnt. I even asked for one cooked medium they guy nodded and handed me one that burnt to a crisp. Hamburgers should not crunch unless you have pickles and lettuce on them.

Why does it matter if Guy has his name plastered on it. Carnival will still cook the hamburger just one step under charcoal. I guess all the extra topping is only way you can get taste from a Carnival hamburger.

In interviews, Guy said that when Carnival approached him about putting his name on the burgers, he would only do it, if they made them the way he wanted. They agreed....

From just about everyone that has actually tried one and commented on this board, the burgers are light years from what is served on the the ships.

In interviews, Guy said that when Carnival approached him about putting his name on the burgers, he would only do it, if they made them the way he wanted. They agreed....

From just about everyone that has actually tried one and commented on this board, the burgers are light years from what is served on the the ships.

is it the burger, or the toppings?:confused:

As for the food safety question some of us had about the hamburger meat being stored under the grill. I posed this question to the National Registry of Food Safety Professionals. (This is the national association who certifies FOOD SAFETY MANAGERS.) They had one of their experts view the video and here is the opinion they gave:

Below is the feedback from our expert:

It’s hard to say exactly how critical the food safety issues might be related to the practices shown in the video. However, some potential areas of concern I would have are:

1. Allowing the trays of raw hamburger to be uncovered under the grill would provide an opportunity for contamination with biological, chemical or physical hazards.

2. It appears that the trays of raw hamburger are stacked one on top of another. If the bottom trays aren’t covered, then any contamination on the bottom of a top tray could be sloughed off to the meat in the tray below.

3. It appears there are several trays of meat being stored at room temperature. Even when using time as a public health control, I would be concerned that storing such a large quantity of raw meat at room temperature could promote growth of microbial pathogens that could result in foodborne illness from infection or intoxication. I would recommend that fewer trays of meat be brought out of the cooler at a time, even during peak periods of service. Our goal in food safety is to keep foods out of the temperature danger zone whenever possible.

As for the food safety question some of us had about the hamburger meat being stored under the grill. I posed this question to the National Registry of Food Safety Professionals. (This is the national association who certifies FOOD SAFETY MANAGERS.) They had one of their experts view the video and here is the opinion they gave:

It’s hard to say exactly how critical the food safety issues might be related to the practices shown in the video. However, some potential areas of concern I would have are:

1. Allowing the trays of raw hamburger to be uncovered under the grill would provide an opportunity for contamination with biological, chemical or physical hazards.

2. It appears that the trays of raw hamburger are stacked one on top of another. If the bottom trays aren’t covered, then any contamination on the bottom of a top tray could be sloughed off to the meat in the tray below.

3. It appears there are several trays of meat being stored at room temperature. Even when using time as a public health control, I would be concerned that storing such a large quantity of raw meat at room temperature could promote growth of microbial pathogens that could result in foodborne illness from infection or intoxication. I would recommend that fewer trays of meat be brought out of the cooler at a time, even during peak periods of service. Our goal in food safety is to keep foods out of the temperature danger zone whenever possible.

While this may raise concerns, if this is happening at peak times, all thsi meat will be cooked inside the 30 minute window. It's not as if they are storing it there for several hours. Probably at busy times more efficient to do it this way rather than bringing up cold burger patties from the reefer every 10 minutes. Those of you who grill should know that you don't slap a cold piece of meat from the refrigerator onto a hot grill. You always let it warm up closer to room temp and that takes 20-40 minutes depending on the cut and size of meat.

Since we've not yet heard of e coli or salmonela from Guys Burgers on board ship, I'd say your concerns are of interest but a bit over the top in worrywortland.

While this may raise concerns, if this is happening at peak times, all thsi meat will be cooked inside the 30 minute window. It's not as if they are storing it there for several hours. Probably at busy times more efficient to do it this way rather than bringing up cold burger patties from the reefer every 10 minutes. Those of you who grill should know that you don't slap a cold piece of meat from the refrigerator onto a hot grill. You always let it warm up closer to room temp and that takes 20-40 minutes depending on the cut and size of meat.

Since we've not yet heard of e coli or salmonela from Guys Burgers on board ship, I'd say your concerns are of interest but a bit over the top in worrywortland.

You do have a point - I think of letting "cuts" of meat come up to temp; but I always forget to do it with burgers and then wonder why I'm serving hockey pucks!

Everyone is more focused on the temperature aspect. Personally, I'm more concerned about points 1 & 2. The trays should be have covers to prevent any possibility of contamination. The bottom of one tray should not be the cover for the one on top of it.

Storage of uncooked, uncovered food under the grill would never be allowed by the health officials where I live anyway. That would be comparable to storing uncooked prepped chickens up under our rotisserie. Sorry. That's gross. Not going to happen. Our auditor will be around to inspect the kitchen our deli soon. I'm looking forward to her visit this time so I can show her the video and ask her about this.

By the way, if anyone is interested, a .pdf of the specific rules concerning food safety for cruise vessels that port in the US can be found here: http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/operationsmanual/OPSManual2011.pdf

I also quickly forwarded the YouTube video link to a department greatly involved in onboard food safety guidelines. All three points above were of strong concern, but it was #1 that put them into an "OMG!" frenzy.

It is what it is, I guess.

Archived