Regatta - Penthouse or Concierge

Scottygirl1

Hi all - I am new to Oceania and have to decide tomorrow which room to take (if indeed there is a choice tomorrow!). I have a PH1 room on hold but would love to hear from anyone who has stayed in these rooms - mosty my concern is noise from the deck above.

Any advice greatly appreciated :) Looking forward to our cruise whichever room we are in.:p

We have been in a PH on the smaller ship 6 times and were never bothered by noise from any location from the front of the ship through mid-ship to the stern of the ship!

Thanks, my main problem was that on Regatta, the pool area is above so was particularly pleased to hear that it was not a problem. Thanks for the reply. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you are happy with the cabin then I wouldn't upgrade. Ours was not that much dearer in the scheme of things... we wanted the better meals in our room (breakfast mainly) but don't really care about having a butler. I do like the idea of a bath - might be nice to have a bath on a ship!!

We travel so far to go on a cruise (from New Zealand) that it is worth it to splash out a little while there!!

The system just ate my almost finished comments ... Bah, humbug.

We had a veranda cabin (Deck 7) on our first Renaissance cruise -- we didn't know about the larger cabins at the time.

Later on we graduated to the Deck 8 veranda cabins (Oceania's PH) and have never turned back.

For us it's the extra room that is important. That isn't important for everyone, but it is for us. In the "A" cabins on Deck 7 if one of you is by the veranda and the other is towards the entrance of the cabin, and you both want to walk in the opposite direction -- one of you will have to wait. In a PH, there's room for both of you to pass by the foot of the bed at the same time.

There is more room for en suite dining (although of course the Vista and Owner's Suites have the PH's beat all hollow in this respect) -- I'm talking "R" ships, not Marina. (But the same is true there, of course.)

The shower on the "R" ships in an "A" or lower is miniscule. The triangular design doesn't help. I know from reading comments about the Marina bathrooms that many people dislike a shower-tub combination but I personally prefer them, and that is another reason for us to book a PH.

So for me there is no question about upgrading to a PH. But that isn't true for everyone. We tend not to use the butler or concierge extras all that much, although it IS nice to be able to order a full breakfast in your room.

You have to decide for yourselves!

As for the noise issue, the only time we've been in a PH on the "R" ships where we heard any noise was in 8006 on R5 (now Nautica). We did hear some moving of furniture over our heads in the morning, but it didn't bother us. We heard much more noise when we were in a Vista on Insignia from the anchor in the morning.

We are willing to trade a LITTLE noise for more room!

As usual, for many of us it isn't worth the extra money ... for others of us it is. Saving money on the cost of your cruise means you have more money to spend elsewhere.

I'm sure you'll be happy whatever you decide (and it sounds like you already have).

Happy cruising!

Mura

It's our 30th anniversary. My husband would like the bigger room. Think I'm going to upgrade and surprise him.

Thanks!

DO IT!! The space "thing" is huge. You will love the PH1-2-3, whichever. And I really enjoyed the bathtub (actually, the entire bathroom) - soaked many an evening. And we spent several evenings, after hot baths, watching movies in our PH, with our butler bringing our dinner(s) from Toscana and Polo. THE BEST!

DO IT!! The space "thing" is huge. You will love the PH1-2-3, whichever. And I really enjoyed the bathtub (actually, the entire bathroom) - soaked many an evening. And we spent several evenings, after hot baths, watching movies in our PH, with our butler bringing our dinner(s) from Toscana and Polo. THE BEST!

Oh I am SO GLAD we are doing this!!!!! That sounds devine... hot bath... butler bringing out dinner. I am soooo excited - actually I think the planning/excitement is part of the fun so I'll just enjoy this time before we actually go away. We are celebrating 10 years together (older couple, met later in life) so having the PH is our treat.

Thanks everyone! I upgraded to a PH this morning. Really looking forward to a much larger cabin! It'sgoing to be a wonderful 30th anniversary!

Bravo! You will never regret it. Bon Voyage!

Once you experience the PH, it's tough to go back, just like having a car with leather seats, and then returning to that really cool velour fabric...although our butler was great, the best thing about the PH (in addition to the size of the cabin) was that, on nights when we didn't have specialty restaurant reservations, we tended to "eat in" course by course. Certainly, one can tire of that rare filet mignon (for me) and lobster (for her) with a view of St Petersburg while dressed very casually...

If we sail one of the R ships again, not sure we would be happy (knowing the difference) in a Concierge cabin (we did the Amazon cruise in Concierge, and it was great, but given the time on the river, the PH would have been a better bargain re the experience). If your itinerary is port-intense, the Concierge or Veranda might be fine; if you have some sea days or tend to relax in your cabin, the PH is worth the bump IMO.

Regards, Bob H

Archived