Balcony classes and cabin recommendations?

Wookie01

We have only cruised once, last year in the Med with Celebrity and absolutely loved it.

One of the things on Cruise Critic that I found very helpful when planning the cruise was a very in-depth thread on the various Celebrity ships, with comprehensive information about most of the cabins (by number) with people's comments about the pluses and minuses of each.

I have been searching through the HAL threads but haven't been able to find anything similar, so, if one exists, can anybody point me in the right direction for threads about various HAL cabins and their good/bad points please?

We are planning an Alaska cruise, probably June 2013, Vancouver-Vancouver via Glacier Bay.

Thanks for any help or recommendations :)

Graham

One of our regular posters IRL_Joanie has put together some wonderful information about HAL ships and the various cabins. You can see it here

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL

Also, if you post the ship you are interested in and the type of cabin you are looking at I am sure someone will come along and give you more information.

Joanie's site is great as Carol said and has numerous pics of different cabins as well as categories and descriptions. there have been threads on different categories - just not one large thread on each one. If you let us know which ship you are sailing on and the category you are considering, I am sure people will give you their experience or recommendations.

General advice of course - look at the deck plans, don't book under the galley, watch out for those 'white spots' on the deck plans, look at what is above your cabin and around it. There are a couple cabins on some ships that have huge verandahs. depends on the ship you are going to be on.

In addition to Joanie's "Sticky" thread, there's another "Sticky" thread about the classes of ships, and the differences between them.

It's been ages since I read that thread, but there may be some info of interest to you there, too.

After reading through those, just post any specific questions, and someone will be right along to help out.

Thanks to you all for the helpful links and tips, appreciated :)

VERY EARLY stages of planning, but current thinking is

Zuiderdam VA or VB class, balcony for the 7 day Roundtrip ex Vancouver in June 2013. Spend some time in Vancouver pre or post cruise, or maybe go to Washington/Oregon as we haven't been to either.

Reasons/Logic

• Rotterdam (deck 7) or Upper Verandah (deck 6) because it is above the lifeboat level to avoid view blockage, and is not directly below any areas such as restaurants, gyms etc. Doesnt seem to be any mid-ship balconies, so probably forward part of the ship rather than towards the stern. (VB6091 and VB6082 on deck 6 adjacent to the midship external elevators look to lack privacy?)
  • My reading seems to indicate that around June is the best chance of good weather (I know it is very changeable on the Alaska trip)
  • Definitely want to see Glacier Bay and do the Inside Passage which limits us to only HAL, Princess and Norwegian.
  • Princess only do a Glacier Bay return for the first and last trip of the season which I think is too risky for weather and ice conditions
  • Norwegian is out of Seattle and doesnt really do the Inside Passage
  • Originally thought of doing a one-way and spending some time in and around Anchorage (Denali etc) but we have been to the Canadian Rockies and the New Zealand Alps, so done glaciers and similar scenery. Dont know that we can justify the extra expenses incurred with flights to Anchorage/Fairbanks and the ground content.
  • My brother is just back from a trip which included Denali, and to be honest from what he showed us it just seems to be a long drive on an old bus to get to a point where we can turn around and come back. We have seen moose, bears, mountains etc, and we wont be there in the Autumn (Fall) to see the colours. Apparently very few visitors get weather good enough to actually see Mt McKinley anyway.

This probably sounds negative and it is not meant to be, as I said very early stages yet.

We would love to hear any suggestions either for or against the above thoughts please :)

Tear it apart, suggest alternatives, what cabins do you particularly like/dislike?

thanks heaps,

Graham and Rose

Melbourne Australia

I took the same itinerary as the Zuiderdam, but on the Volendam. It's a lovely cruise. You get to spend daytime in the Inside Passage on the last day back, and it's gorgeous---at least in pretty weather.

June has those long days, so it's a good time for seeing the scenery. The sun sets late, and rises early. Beyond that, though, is the lingering sunset and pre-dawn. I dare you to stay up until the sky gets dark. You can't do it! There is still some light in the sky in the middle of the night!

I sailed the Zuiderdam a couple of months ago. There were some severe plumbing problems at the time, however they were temporary, and have now been fixed. Other than that, I liked the ship very much.

Have a great time in The Great Land.

You need to be aware that HAL is the pioneer cruise line in Alaska. Theve been going north for years and other lines eventually caught on and followed the leader. HAL knows how to cruise Alaska best. I'd also take a look at the SB and SC wrap-around stern cabins when you look at Joanie's site.;)

thanks for the responses :-)

@cmdchiefthom

Why just the aft wraps and not the forward facing wraps? I notice there are 2 forward facing wrap-arounds on deck 8 (Rotterdam SB7088 & SB7093) at the rearmost 'bump out'?

I remember reading somewhere here that people have mentioned engine vibration and diesel fumes toward the stern of the ship, any opinions on that aspect?

Really appreciate the help and insight, thanks folks :)

Graham

I remember reading somewhere here that people have mentioned engine vibration and diesel fumes toward the stern of the ship, any opinions on that aspect?

Really appreciate the help and insight, thanks folks :)

Graham

Those of us who love the views from the stern wrap-arounds started those rumors so we have a better chance booking those suites again when we sail.;) I currently have them booked on our next two HAL cruises. As for vibrations, there are vibrations when the thrusters are engaged as there are forward towards the bow, but that's only during docking and undocking manuvers. As for movement or noise, I really can only say hogwash.:eek: Now imagine having a 20'X4.5' swath of deck along the side of the ship and a private balcony large enough for a dining table, four chairs, two large wicker easy chairs and two sun loungers. Just imagine the Alaskan wilderness passing by your stern suite as your having dinner served on your balcony.;)

For the op - I will never dispute the views on the aft veranda deck if you want to look backwards (Joanie don't hit me please).

The verandas are huge and very nice no question, HOWEVER, I will say that not everyone likes the vibration. dh is a bit sensitive to vibration and you can REALLY feel it on some of the ships. You can hear the noise and it can be disruptive early in the morning.

Those that do aft (and love it) are quite prepared and feel it's worth it - no argument from me - but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Just posting to alert you. They are not bad at all, but some sacrifices come for the good;) Ergo, as dh doesn't like it, we don't book aft.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it:p

For the op - I will never dispute the views on the aft veranda deck if you want to look backwards (Joanie don't hit me please).

The verandas are huge and very nice no question, HOWEVER, I will say that not everyone likes the vibration. dh is a bit sensitive to vibration and you can REALLY feel it on some of the ships. You can hear the noise and it can be disruptive early in the morning.

Those that do aft (and love it) are quite prepared and feel it's worth it - no argument from me - but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Just posting to alert you. They are not bad at all, but some sacrifices come for the good;) Ergo, as dh doesn't like it, we don't book aft.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it:p

Totally agree on the aft balcony and the vibrations. DS and I thought they reminded us of the massage beds in the classic motels that you put a quarter in, just didn't last as long.

Also we did an Alaska SB cruise in Sept '09. It was the last cruise of the season and was a little chilly, but tolerable. Also the shopping deals abound in the ports as the merchants were striving to get that last dollar in before the seasons end.

Archived