Disgusting experience!!!!!

smallperson

We just returned from this cruise. When I booked it I had no idea it was Mardi Gras, my mistake. I did find out before I left so I was a little worried about making the ship in time.

We arrived on the day of the cruise on a 1:00pm flight. Took a cab to the terminal and arrived around 2:30pm. Much longer than expected. From what they told us on board it was a full ship and it certainly felt like it. If I had missed the boat I would be pissed...my wife would have killed me. But in the end it would have been my fault.

No lawyers in small claims court. Don't know a lawyer that would take on this case with the damages are the price of an inside stateroom.

Much better off grabbing a couple of hotdogs and driving home.

Hotdogs? They COULD have stopped for beignets & chicory coffee... and then stayed for Mardi Gras.

We just returned from this cruise. When I booked it I had no idea it was Mardi Gras, my mistake. I did find out before I left so I was a little worried about making the ship in time.

We arrived on the day of the cruise on a 1:00pm flight. Took a cab to the terminal and arrived around 2:30pm. Much longer than expected. From what they told us on board it was a full ship and it certainly felt like it. If I had missed the boat I would be pissed...my wife would have killed me. But in the end it would have been my fault.

Thank you for this.

Yes, it would have been your fault, and you're a real man for acknowledging it.

But also, you've clarified that from the airport to the ship was 1.5 hours, at 1 p.m.

That kind of puts to rest the OP's claims of 5 hours.....unless they were trying to arrive just before departure.

My husband, brother and i just came back on 2/19 from trying to get to Mardi Gras in new orleans. The Mardi Gras left without us because it was absolutely impossible, if driving, to find an access road that would take you down to the Mardi Gras. Every road was blocked because of freaking cruise ship, and the New Orleans knows this and didn't let anyone know of an alternate route to get to the Mardi Gras. We were stuck, and i mean stuck, in traffic for over 5 hours in new orleans while we tried to get to the Mardi Gras, and we simply could not get there. The Mardi Gras left without a lot of partiers who had the same experience. New Orleans and our travel agency, ***********, do not accept any responsibility for this mess and won't compensate us for the loss of the trip. New Orleans provides driving directions to the Mardi Gras. They already accept the responsibility for telling you how to get there. Now they say they have no responsibility for these driving direction. We say they do. We say they could have emailed every one of us on this Mardi Gras Trip some new directions, given what happens on Cruise Ship Sailing Days (we didn't know about it because we don't live in n.o.). We are going to sue them in small claims court. We hope every one of the partiers who missed this Mardi Gras does the same. We will prevail in small claims court--the directions that did not work are printed on New Orleans letterhead, which proves that they expected us to use these directions. If they did not work, New Orleans should have let us know how to get to the Mardi Gras.

Let us know how you make out with that

But you made it!:)

Hotdogs? They COULD have stopped for beignets & chicory coffee... and then stayed for Mardi Gras.

And boy could they have collected the beads and plastic coins!! Ate king cake and drank hurricanes and then totally could have cared less that the ship sailed.

You may want to consult with legal counsel up on the consumer protection statutes in your state. I found in my state,...

Before you consult legal counsel, I would think it would be a good waste of time (yes, I said waste) to review the contract and find the part where it says NCL is responsible for getting you to the ship in the first place.

You will spend more on alcohol trying to find it than you will win in any court.

ROFLMAO

Hello neighbor!!! LOVE the town you live in ~ simply breathtaking.

Now, back to your question... I cannot locate a site specific to the cruise terminal, but this site: http://www.nycgo.com/events

will let you search a date range and bring up everything taking place during that timeframe. Hope that helps! ;)

Thanks Neighbor, I like our little town, too! :D

It is a beautiful part of the state:)

With that I can keep reading these post and hope I don't miss the Jewel because we are cutting it close by a couple hours. Next time I will def come the night before. Some of these post are just hilarious!

I dont hold the city or the cruiseline libel but I do understand the OP's frustration and anger. That would suck

So I know where New Orleans is and I know they have a big party called Mardi Gras

But to be honest I thought it was a bunch of people partying on Bourbon street after a parade. I didnt know it shut down the city. I would think it was confined to a certain section and there should be away to drive around it.Ii would never think it would take 5 hours to drive across a city.

In SF, we have parties and parades, but obviously nothing that compares to Mardi Gras as Im finding out. But I always find away around the event to get where I want to go.

So that would be my thought process on driving in any other city

While we do show up to ports early nowadays I use to drive SF to LA morning of cruise for years.

I would never worry about missing a ship.

We are driving in a day early next week for our cruise The hotels are sold out and flights were expensive .

Ive searched and cant find anything that would cause that the weekend of mar 9-11??????????

We are driving in a day early next week for our cruise The hotels are sold out and flights were expensive .

Ive searched and cant find anything that would cause that the weekend of mar 9-11??????????

SPRING BREAK BABY!!! Yeah.... watch out for hedonistic partying going on. :eek::D:rolleyes:

Thank you for this.

Yes, it would have been your fault, and you're a real man for acknowledging it.

But also, you've clarified that from the airport to the ship was 1.5 hours, at 1 p.m.

That kind of puts to rest the OP's claims of 5 hours.....unless they were trying to arrive just before departure.

Did the OP ever describe what they were driving? They could have been riding tricycles for all we know...hahahahahah.

Quite a few things going on in Miami during that time period: http://gomiami.about.com/od/eventsfestivals/a/Marchevents.htm

Thanks but I will be in NOLA

I just thought of something as I will be in MIA/POM in Nov thou. I havnt checked to see if there is a parade or any parties .

Ive cruised from 9 different ports and 25+ cruises have never checked to see if anything was happening @ the port area.

SPRING BREAK BABY!!! Yeah.... watch out for hedonistic partying going on. :eek::D:rolleyes:

Really?????? New Orleans is a Spring break destination????? Where are the beaches.

I just thought of something as I will be in MIA/POM in Nov thou. I havnt checked to see if there is a parade or any parties .

Ive cruised from 9 different ports and 25+ cruises have never checked to see if anything was happening @ the port area.

Really?????? New Orleans is a Spring break destination????? Where are the beaches.

Okay no beaches, but I seem to recall (a few decades ago when in college) that Burbon Street was a spring break destination.

I was responding to Lady Shiva's post about a link to stuff going on in Miami for that week mentioned in an above post. Sorry, I didn't think the New Orleans part was being discussed in the last couple of posts. :o

Beaches aren't necessary as long as there's a constant party :)

There was a poster last page who arrived by air on the same day as the OP and was onboard an hour and a half later...sounds like the OP left home way too late.

Quite a few things going on in Miami during that time period: http://gomiami.about.com/od/eventsfestivals/a/Marchevents.htm

Very cool link! Thanks for posting. My partner is flying down to Miami to join me for a few days there when I return from my solo cruise...and then we're going to Sea Island, georgia, then Atlantic City.

What I had no idea about, until today....was that during the couple of days in Miami, is their gay pride festival & parade.

Should be lots of fun, and totally unexpected.

Did the OP ever describe what they were driving? They could have been riding tricycles for all we know...hahahahahah.

Someone wanted to figure out how to link this to the hotdog thread---

THEY WERE DRIVING THE OSCAR MEYER WEINER MOBILE (connection made-have at it folks)

wmob001.jpg

Someone wanted to figure out how to link this to the hotdog thread---

THEY WERE DRIVING THE OSCAR MEYER WEINER MOBILE (connection made-have at it folks)

OMG!! It was in a PARADE!!! No wonder they couldn't get to the port they had to follow the parade route.

Mongo you are indeed a wonder!

wmob001.jpg

OMG!! It was in a PARADE!!! No wonder they couldn't get to the port they had to follow the parade route.

Mongo you are indeed a wonder!

Kilts, Oscar Meyer weenie wagon, mardi gras floats-sounds like a parade to me! They should have just joined in instead of going against the flow :)

Kilts, Oscar Meyer weenie wagon, mardi gras floats-sounds like a parade to me! They should have just joined in instead of going against the flow :)

Isn't that the whole deal with NCL in the first place? The rebellious fish swimming in the other direction?

be-that-fish.jpg

Basketball game between the Nuggets and the Hornets. Also that weekend are several St. Patrick Day parades in NOLA.

Dave

Archived