Cruiseline Formal Wear - problems

Retired civil servant

Hi,

Has anybody else had issue's with the Tuxedo's rented and delivered to your cabin via Cruiseline??

I had the trouser zip break after one use and sent an e-mail to their Customer Service Desk asking for a partial refund on my return to the UK. That was over a week ago and so far have heard nothing.

Has anybody else ever had a refund or response from these people? They seem happy to take your money, but reluctant to return it if you have an issue.

Be aware - If there is a problem whilst you are at sea, Celebrity do not take any responsibilty for Cruiseline clothing or offer replacements.

Other cruisers experiences and comments would be appreciated.

Regards

Geoff C

Cambridge

UK

We've had issues with size/fit not being correct and the staff on the ship has immediately made a change to get us the correct fit.

Did you ask on board to have the item repaired or replaced for you? Or were you just seeking a price adjustment on board?

I'd be surprised if they didn't take care of the first request and nearly as surprised if they DID give you an accommodation on board on the second.

My hubby rented a tux and it was never delivered to the ship. Apparently Celebrity has extra ones on board but when it was delivered to the room, the pants were too long and the shirt sleeves were way too short. Our room steward made the necessary changes so it did finally fit after him spending almost 2 hrs. to get it right.

Will never rent a tux from them again.

Heard the same thing happened that cruise to 14 other people who never had their tux delivered to the ship.

We are new to this but was thinking of renting with cruisewear tux. Are there any other rental companies that Celebrity uses? We are cruising in about 4 weeks out of FLL. DH would prefer not to rent locally and take. We feel formal nights are special and thought you folks might have more input. Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Yes I did ask Guest Relations on Constellation if they could do anything about repairing the zip and was told Cruiseline are nothing to do with them and they couldn't offer a replacement or help.

I have to say I was a little surprised by their response especially there is a URL link taking you off the Celebrity web site and directing you to Cruiselines web site when you order. But that's what I was told twice.

As we intend to do more cruises, I think I will invest in my own in future.

Regards

Geoff C

Cambridge

UK

I recently started a thread about Cruiseline Formalwear as well, but my issue is more of a customer service complaint. I have not had a problem with the product not be delivered or items being broken or not fitting properly. My issue is the incredible slowness of their web site and inexcusably poor phone support.

Based on comments and suggestions from others, we went out this past weekend and actually purchased tuxedos, so now we do not have to mess with the rental company again (unfortunately they are the only one contracted with Celebrity). I have also let Cruiseline Formalwear know about my dissatisfaction and why I will not be renting from them in the future. They did not seem particularly bothered or concerned.

DH has done tux rentals many times without problems. Personally I think there is a huge market being missed by these rental companies. How about just suits, or sport jackets? While I'm at it...JMHO, but I think the women's outfits are ugly. Do women actually rent these?

DH has done tux rentals many times without problems. Personally I think there is a huge market being missed by these rental companies. How about just suits, or sport jackets? While I'm at it...JMHO, but I think the women's outfits are ugly. Do women actually rent these?

The bigger issue with women's wear would seem to be the variety to me. While we're all used to hundreds of men wearing identical, or nearly identical, tuxes; I just cant imagine even dozens of women on the ship wanting to be wearing identical rented formal outfits.

I've used Cruiseline Formal 4 times. One time on Princess, the shirt was too small. I just carried it to the formal shop on board and they swapped it. Maybe Celebrity has a shop on board that rents stuff, sells ties, cufflinks, etc?

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Yes I did ask Guest Relations on Constellation if they could do anything about repairing the zip and was told Cruiseline are nothing to do with them and they couldn't offer a replacement or help.

I have to say I was a little surprised by their response especially there is a URL link taking you off the Celebrity web site and directing you to Cruiselines web site when you order. But that's what I was told twice.

As we intend to do more cruises, I think I will invest in my own in future.

Regards

Geoff C

Cambridge

UK

Geoff

Take a look at what is on offer on eBay. My husband bought a great dinner jacket [and now three pairs of matching trousers in three different sizes!] from Richard Paul who sells a lot of formal wear [both new and used] on eBay UK. They have always given us great service. Just last week I ordered the third pair of trousers one afternoon and they arrived in the next post!

Sue

HI Sue & UKTog / Terry Wogan fan,

Thanks to you all your comments and excellent suggestions.

I think the ebay and M&S options are good suggestions and will investigate further before our next cruise, never know I could look like James Bond next time - in my dreams and my wife Sheila!!

Best regards

Geoff C

Nr Cambridge

UK

HI Sue & UKTog / Terry Wogan fan,

Thanks to you all your comments and excellent suggestions.

I think the ebay and M&S options are good suggestions and will investigate further before our next cruise, never know I could look like James Bond next time - in my dreams and my wife Sheila!!

Best regards

Geoff C

Nr Cambridge

UK

Hi Retired Civil Servant,

We ended up doing the same thing (buying) after investigating rentals thoroughly.

You can pick up a "gently used" tuxedo for a reasonable price from the stores that rent these out. In the end we paid less than it would have cost to rent 2x.

Mind you we still had to shell out for accessories... Shirt, Tie, Cummerbund, Links & Studs. But we found them on sale.

And Mr Sloop took great pleasure in "accessorizing" a bit to his own personality (the "informal" cufflinks are a 6 speed shifter)

He certainly looked all James Bond-y for me (ala Sean Connery) on our two formal evenings aboard the Solstice. I was down right impressed, as was he (I splashed out for a long dress... which I also got a great deal on).

We think the "formal" aspect of cruising is a total hoot... and really can't understand why some folks would complain about something so fun and wonderful... adds a real "spark" to ones relationship when you do something out of the norm.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

I had a look at M&S recently and they seem to have good choices with good prices.

One thing I am curious though, how many people actually wearing traditional tuxedo pants (with sheen lining down the side an without belt hoop) and cummerband?

I am considering tuxedo with matching normal black pants (without the sheen strip down the legs) complete with bow-tie and wing tie front pleated white shirt on one formal night but not going with a cummerband. Do you think it will be alright on board on formal night (would I be an odd one out and look like a fool)? On the other formal night I will wear a normal suit with tie.

Used them twice, four years ago they were fine, latest time In October last on Solstice the Tuxedo delivered to my stateroom was a disgrace. The jacket was very worn, shiny on shoulders and elbow and marks on the front, trousers had a tear in them!

In fairness when I contacted Guest Relations they had it collected and replaced with one which was fine a short time later.

I had a look at M&S recently and they seem to have good choices with good prices.

One thing I am curious though, how many people actually wearing traditional tuxedo pants (with sheen lining down the side an without belt hoop) and cummerband?

I am considering tuxedo with matching normal black pants (without the sheen strip down the legs) complete with bow-tie and wing tie front pleated white shirt on one formal night but not going with a cummerband. Do you think it will be alright on board on formal night (would I be an odd one out and look like a fool)? On the other formal night I will wear a normal suit with tie.

HI 1ST CRUISE 2012,

I don't think anyone pays that close attention to what type of lapels a Tuxedo has, or whether there is a satin stripe or not... nor what kind of shirt one wears either.

I certainly can't tell a 2012 Tuxedo from a 2002 one, and most likely no one else can either.

Mr Sloop's "gently used" tuxedo was one with the double-satin lapels, no satin stripe (just a tiny pin stripe in satin) and a tuxedo shirt with a lie-flat collar (vs wings).

On the otherhand, I think that having a cummerbund missing (or a vest) will be noticeable... because tuxedo pants and shirts dont make a nice match in the tummy region... which is why there is a cummerbund to begin with (shirt has buttons that change vs studs... and pants have somewhat strange waist-band that really should be hidden as well)

Lol, kind of like having a fancy car with no hub-caps... it is a fancy car, but something is definitely missing !! (LOL were they stolen? Did you forget the Cummerbund at home?)

Because most guys unbutton the jacket to sit and eat, your waist will be in full view to anyone sitting beside you etc.

As for Formal Night # 2... why not just wear the same (less to pack). Mr Sloop sent his Tuxedo Shirt out to be drycleaned (vs laundry) and they did an ok job. He packed basic black for the the first night... but the second one he went with a more colourful bow-tie.

And we have some great photos now... not many chances in life we find to get professional looking pics... and these only cost $ 20 each, so a lot less than going to a Photo Studio for a sitting.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Re cummerband, JMO but only wear one if you have a figure like Connery's was when he was Bond! (come to think of it, I don't remeber him wearing one) My DH will NOT be wearing one:D We were planning to buy M&S, but from suggestions here will also look at rental shops selling off stock, and Ebay.

BTW I think men look just stunning in a DJ, cannot understand why so many are reluctant to wear such flattering clothes.

HI 1ST CRUISE 2012,

I don't think anyone pays that close attention to what type of lapels a Tuxedo has, or whether there is a satin stripe or not... nor what kind of shirt one wears either.

I certainly can't tell a 2012 Tuxedo from a 2002 one, and most likely no one else can either.

Mr Sloop's "gently used" tuxedo was one with the double-satin lapels, no satin stripe (just a tiny pin stripe in satin) and a tuxedo shirt with a lie-flat collar (vs wings).

On the otherhand, I think that having a cummerbund missing (or a vest) will be noticeable... because tuxedo pants and shirts dont make a nice match in the tummy region... which is why there is a cummerbund to begin with (shirt has buttons that change vs studs... and pants have somewhat strange waist-band that really should be hidden as well)

Lol, kind of like having a fancy car with no hub-caps... it is a fancy car, but something is definitely missing !! (LOL were they stolen? Did you forget the Cummerbund at home?)

Because most guys unbutton the jacket to sit and eat, your waist will be in full view to anyone sitting beside you etc.

As for Formal Night # 2... why not just wear the same (less to pack). Mr Sloop sent his Tuxedo Shirt out to be drycleaned (vs laundry) and they did an ok job. He packed basic black for the the first night... but the second one he went with a more colourful bow-tie.

And we have some great photos now... not many chances in life we find to get professional looking pics... and these only cost $ 20 each, so a lot less than going to a Photo Studio for a sitting.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Thanks for your details reply :) You have a point there, since I ma wearig a tuxedo might as well wear the cummerband, its just a piece of cloth across the waist after all LOL and it will cover my pants with belt loop (I might be wearing a belt out of habit too!) :D

Regarding suit on second formal, I was thinking it ight be boring wearing a tuxedo again but I will have a think about it regarding less to pack and bring.

Did Mr Sloop get his dinner jacket pressed on board after unpacking or did you managed to pack it so that it doesn't get wrinkled?

Thanks for your details reply :) You have a point there, since I ma wearig a tuxedo might as well wear the cummerband, its just a piece of cloth across the waist after all LOL and it will cover my pants with belt loop (I might be wearing a belt out of habit too!) :D

Regarding suit on second formal, I was thinking it ight be boring wearing a tuxedo again but I will have a think about it regarding less to pack and bring.

Did Mr Sloop get his dinner jacket pressed on board after unpacking or did you managed to pack it so that it doesn't get wrinkled?

TO 1ST CRUISE 2012,

Thank you for your kind words... glad to help.

He didn't need to get anything pressed... we are another set of folks who swear by using plastic (dry cleaning bags) to pack well and lessen the issues with wrinkles.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Thanks everybody for all the helpful and amusing comments, its such a shame that not everybody likes to dress up and put on some bling.

We have only just got the cruising bug so intend to continue the tradition and dress up on formal nights, while I can still get into the Tuxedo after eating all that fine food on-board.

Hope you all have a great time and hope to see some or all of you on a future cruise.

Best regards

Geoff C

Nr Cambridge

UK

Archived