HAL Alaska Itinerary Question

wsb225

Hi,

My wife and I are new to HAL but not new to cruising.

We have never been on an Alaskan cruise and will be cruising this summer.

Question: What is the best itinerary to take for our first Alaskan cruise? I would appreciate any feedback as to what itinerary would be best for first timers. We will only be able to cruise, as we will not be able to add any tour to our trip.

Secondly, is there a HAL ship that you would recommend over any others that cruise Alaska?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

If you check CC's home page, you'll see The Amsterdam won "best ship" for Alaskan cruises for the year.

We took her last late May/early June for the 2 week explorers cruise and loved it. The scenery is literally breathtaking.

Once you get past Juneau the ports become less clogged with 7 day cruises.

If you can swing the 2 week cruise,,,do it. Alaska is HUGE and 7 days barely scratches the surface, but by all means go any way you can.

Good luck~!

Hi,

Question: What is the best itinerary to take for our first Alaskan cruise? I would appreciate any feedback as to what itinerary would be best for first timers. We will only be able to cruise, as we will not be able to add any tour to our trip.

Secondly, is there a HAL ship that you would recommend over any others that cruise Alaska?

Zuiderdam out of Vancouver is now our favorite ship and cruise start and end port:)

It is the most beautiful scenery on any Alaskan cruise!! You go up and back down through The Inside Passage, with land less than 300 feet away from you, for the most part and you get to do not only Glacier Bay (I think it's Glacier bay again this year) but also Tracey Arm just outside of Juneau.

Zuiderdam is not as old as Amsterdam is, but in my opinion, no matter what HAL ship you take, if you go out of Vancouver doing the Inside Passage, you cannot go wrong!!

I've done Seattle Round Trip to Alaska twice and it does not compare to Vancouver Round Trip to Alaska:)

Joanie

We've done the round trip out of Vancouver twice and like that pattern for these reasons: More time in the close beautiful clannel east of Vancouver Island, cheaper parking, weekday departure is much lesss congested, loved the size of Volendam, that itinerary went to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm, doubling our opportunity for glacier viewing, but not exactly sure what the new itineraries are.

I'd take Glacier Bay over any other glacier viewing for first time as it is more of a sure thing; also there are very limited permits given out by the National Parks Service for Glacier Bay and it could be going away someday. Tracy Arm is iffy for getting into the fjord but spectacular if it all works out, but a huge disappointment if it was your only opportunity and you get skunked.

Going in and out of Vancouver make it unnecessary to stop at Victoria as do the ship going in and out of Seattle. That can be a nice stop if the itinerary shows that you woul dactuallly have enough time to see something. it's a place I want to visit but not for a 3 hour stop in the evening.

There's a start. Have fun kicking around the ideas! m--

I've been on the Oosterdam and the Westerdam. Those are Vista class ships, and are pretty much identical. I'm going on the Zuiderdam this year, also a Vista Class. I haven't been on the, what is it? S class? Might try one soon. I've heard there are people who prefer those.

As far as itinerary, if you look at the glacier days, you can't go wrong anyway. Glacier Bay is more famous and stunning, but it's not like it's all glaciers. You get to see on the land between them what eons of glacier movement do. Strikingly beautiful patterns and colors. I only see one itinerary with Hubbard Glacier. I did that one 11 yrs ago, and the icebergs were spectacular.

One big difference in itineraries is either/or Sitka or Skagway. Both have their merits. I choose based on these two. Sitka is a cultural haven. There is a lot of Alaskan Native culture, and Russian culture. The scenery is unmatched. Not to mention you get to see Mt Edgecomb. It's an inactive volcano with a perfectly classic profile. No mistaking that it's a volcano.

Now Skagway is really interesting too, but in a much different way. It's a town with little culture, but was the gateway to the Yukon, so there's a lot of gold rush flavor there. And the train over White Pass. You travel up a fairly quick grade up a mountain valley, and look down the valley and see a tiny speck that is your ship. The vista's are wonderful. The town itself is really cheesy IMO, but lots of excursions with opportunity to see wildlife. Skagway and a nearby town of Haines is the only place in Southeast Alaska were you might be able to see moose, if that's important.

If you love it up there, you will want to go back, and you will want to experience another itinerary. You can't go wrong with any of them!

Hi,

The key to Alaska cruising it to realize that there's no way that you can see and do everything (not even close) to do in Alaska in a single cruise. You (and only you) can decide what's a priority and choose the itenerary that will meet those priorities for THIS cruise.

The second thing is to realize is that in each port of call, there are so many shore excursions (and so little time in port), that you will need to prioritize what you want to do in THAT port for THIS cruise. Many people are simply overwhelmed at the options and the planning involved to maximize their time in port.

My first recommendation is to visit the Alaska Port of Calls message board and do lots of reading. There is a wealth of information there by some Alaska veterans who are happy to share what they've learned.

I always caution those on their first Alaska cruise that they are very addictive. We have been to Alaska 6 times and are planning to return this June.

Good luck on planning your cruise and I hope you have a wonderful visit.

I think it all depends on what you want from your cruise and how much funding you can afford.

If you can spare two weeks, I'd do the 2 weeks on the Amsterdam, hands down. Alternatively, if you have two weeks and less money, do a back to back south to north and then north to south.

If you can only do one, then you need to decide if you want a round trip from Seattle, round trip from Vancouver or a one way Vancouver to/from Seward. All have their benefits.

Round trip from Seattle (if you are in the US) will probably be the least expensive all in when you get into airfare.

Round trip from Vancouver will get you further north so you will start seeing the beautiful scenery quicker and with calmer seas.

One way Seward/Vancouver will get you further north allowing you to see more scenery and marine life but the two city airfare is a killer.

Of the cities - Juneau is great for whale watching. Sitka is absolutely beautiful, friendly and what Alaska is all about. Haines doesn't have much of a city but is a great place to grab a bicycle and go see some bears. Skagway is all about the train (or a rental car) to the Yukon. As a city it is kind of a tourist trap. Ketchikan has great float plane excursions but it is always raining.

That's my two cents. Whatever you do, I think you will be satisfied. Alaska is absolutely beautiful. Plan on spending some money though on good excursions (probably equal or more than the cost of the cruise itself). You have to get out away from the tourist areas to really experience the beauty.

Hi,

"

We have been on a number of AK cruises. Our favorite is the 14 day on MS Amsterdam. Loved this cruise so much last year we are doing it again in Sept.

Karen ;)

If you have the time and the money I highly recommend the 14 day Alaskan Adventure out of Seattle on the m.s AMSTERDAM. This cruise goes all the way to Anchorage and covers such ports as Icy Strait Point, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak and Hubbard Glacier. She also stops at Juneau, Tracy Arm, Ketchikan, Sitka and a half day and evening in Victoria. This is the Last year this cruise will be run.

If you have the time and the money I highly recommend the 14 day Alaskan Adventure out of Seattle on the m.s AMSTERDAM. This cruise goes all the way to Anchorage and covers such ports as Icy Strait Point, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak and Hubbard Glacier. She also stops at Juneau, Tracy Arm, Ketchikan, Sitka and a half day and evening in Victoria. This is the Last year this cruise will be run.

Really???? Why?? We love this cruise! Going this Sept..

Yes, sadly this itinerary is not on HAL's sailings in 2013. The Amsterdam will be doing 7 day roundtrips from Vancouver starting in 2013. Sigh...makes me sad. I took this cruise in May of 2010 and then again this past August 5th. Would have liked to anticipate it again in 2014 or 2015, but doesn't look like its going to happen. So enjoy your next 14 day itinerary, pack all you can into it:o.

Archived