seasickness and time change in Baltics

LA Native

Hi,

thinking of Sept 1 cruise on Brilliance of the Seas. Time changes appear to be killer, especially with change from Copenhagen to St Petersburg and early excursion from SPB. Any input/guidance/experience?

AND, how have you found the sea for this cruise? (in and out of Copenhagen calling at Tallinn, SPB, Stockholm, Helsinki). I have been fine in Mex Riviera and Alaska taking meclezine prophylactically, eating ginger and wearing sea bands. How does Baltic Sea area compare? What are chances of rocky seas?

Thanks all!

Hi LA,

We sailed this itinerary in early June, so the weather could be different, and that could certainly affect the seas. We were very lucky, and we had great weather and smooth sailing, but the cruise just before us had a lot of rain, and some rough seas; just the luck of the draw I guess.

We too were worried about the time change, especially prior to SPB because we had an early tour departure; turned out not to be a problem for us as we were so excited, we had plenty of energy and got up and out quickly. We did pack the night before in order to have everything (passports, visa, tour docs, water and some snacks) ready to go, and I believe we did the buffet breakfast to save time. And of course no late nights or partying.

For us, having 20+ hours of daylight played more games with sleep habits than the time changes.

If you stay on the ship's time, you'll be better off I think, and you are going to just love this cruise, and you will love SPD!!

I'm jealous, and can't wait to go back, Paul

Hi LA, we did this cruise mid-Aug and had lovely weather and calm seas. By and large the Baltic isn't too choppy, so you should be good. Time change shouldn't be a problem since you won't be putting the clock ahead 3 hrs in one go. As Paul says get all your stuff ready the previous evening, we ordered room service breakfast and were just fine. You're sure to love the cruise, especially SPB, we want to go back, but this time a land tour, to include Moscow too. Happy travels!

I have been reading through this thread. I am not quite sure I understand the time changes. Is it that you are losing an hour or two before a port day? This is our lineup. We are on the NCL Sun this June:

Copenhagen

Germany

Sea day

Tallinn

Russia

Russia

Finland

Stockholm

Sea day

Copenhagen

We were planning on seeing the ballet in Russia, which will end about 10;30 PM the first day, then getting back up again the next day for another full day in SPB. We are traveling with our 5 kids ages 11-18 so I guess I really need to think through the sleep and time changes.

Between Germany and Estonia you'll loose one hour. (ie. you'll have a 23h day)

Between Estonia and Russia you'll loose another hour

Between Russia and Finland you'll gain back one hour (i.e you'll have a 25 h day)

Between Finland and Sweden you'll again gain back one hour.

Thats during summer. (During winter you''ll loose/gain TWO hours between Estonia/Finland and Russia.)

From late July and early August Baltics cruise, we found the Baltics water to be pretty calm and nice. On the time zone changes, the big, BIG factors is how that aspect combines with the port-intensive nature of the Baltics to make things somewhat "time pressured". This area is not a casual, easy sailing place where the pace is slow and laid-back.

You've got so many great and enjoyable options for these ports, plus the clock as the days shorten due to the time zone shift in going east. So much to do and so little time!!!

For World Gallery, you challenge in doing the ballet in St. Petersburg is that this program could be three hours long, plus the time getting there and back. Then you have to get up early for a busy, intense day the next morning during a day that is actually on 22 or 23 hours due to the time zone shifts and your body clock being slow in adjusting. It's all possible, but things are more compacted. You need to prepare and plan accordingly.

It is good your cruise starts and ends in Copenhagen. That's a super, wonderful city with so much charm, beauty, history and great architecture. Below are some of my visual samples to get you excited about that stop and make sure you will spend added time there either before or after your cruise.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,824 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 60,033 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

A guard and statue in front of the current Royal Palace in Copenhagen:

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

Copenhagen's historic 1695 Church of Our Saviour is a baroque church with its famous corkscrew spire as seen on the canal tour in the Christanshavns canal area. Don't miss the canal tour in this historic and charming city.:

CopenSpiralChurch.jpg

A different angle for Copenhagen dramatic City Hall on its main, central square.:

CPHCityHallDetails.jpg

At Tivoli, their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner for this "superstar" of Copenhagen. Night times here are spectacular and so interesting, entertaining!:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

Copenhagen’s famed Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds.:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

I think the biggest time change is going from West Coast USA time to Copenhagen time. After that, the time change is sort of gradual, an hour here, an hour there. Are you planning on spending a day or two beforehand in Copenhagen? If not, Berlin might be very tiring for you. We went in July, and the seas were like a sheet of glass in all ports. September could be different.

I think the biggest time change is going from West Coast USA time to Copenhagen time. After that, the time change is sort of gradual, an hour here, an hour there. Are you planning on spending a day or two beforehand in Copenhagen? If not, Berlin might be very tiring for you. We went in July, and the seas were like a sheet of glass in all ports. September could be different.

Super great point on the adjustment from flying ALL of the way from the West Coast/LA. That's even more reason to get into Copenhagen a day or two or three early. Need to adjust the body clock, get ready for an intense cruise, see charming Copenhagen, allow for any "slip-ups" with the air logistics/connections, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,824 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Between Germany and Estonia you'll loose one hour. (ie. you'll have a 23h day)

Between Estonia and Russia you'll loose another hour

Between Russia and Finland you'll gain back one hour (i.e you'll have a 25 h day)

Between Finland and Sweden you'll again gain back one hour.

Thats during summer. (During winter you''ll loose/gain TWO hours between Estonia/Finland and Russia.)

Thanks! Wow! That is a lot of time changes. At least it is one hour at a time, not jumping two hours.

I am wondering, do all ships do things the same way, meaning, do they set the ship's clock by the local time in each port? We are on the NCL Sun. Wondering if it will be confusing with our tour times and meeting our guides.

We have been on ships before where the ship's time didn't match the local time but that was Carribean cruises.

Thanks! Wow! That is a lot of time changes. At least it is one hour at a time, not jumping two hours. I am wondering, do all ships do things the same way, meaning, do they set the ship's clock by the local time in each port? We are on the NCL Sun. Wondering if it will be confusing with our tour times and meeting our guides. We have been on ships before where the ship's time didn't match the local time but that was Carribean cruises.

On our Baltics cruise from Dover/UK to St. Petersburg and back, YES, the ship clocks were adjusted, day by day, from port to port to reflect the actual time there when in that location. Otherwise, it would have been a really, super confusing mess.

"For World Gallery, you challenge in doing the ballet in St. Petersburg is that this program could be three hours long, plus the time getting there and back. Then you have to get up early for a busy, intense day the next morning during a day that is actually on 22 or 23 hours due to the time zone shifts and your body clock being slow in adjusting. It's all possible, but things are more compacted. You need to prepare and plan accordingly. "

I am realizing that the advantage for us will be that we will adjusted by the time we get to Russia (the most important port for us because our kids were adopted from there and this is the first time back since they were babies). Also, I guess it is possible to leave the ballet at intermission or hopefully find a ballet that is shorter (I have been to a long one and shorter one in St. Pete). The tickets schedule is not out yet. We are doing a Med. cruise before this one then flying from Barcelona to Copenhagen for 3 days before the Baltic cruise. We will definitely be on European time by then but I still need to think it through in regards to Russia. I guess we will go all out in Russia and take it very easy in Finland the next day.

I am realizing that the advantage for us will be that we will adjusted by the time we get to Russia (the most important port for us because our kids were adopted from there and this is the first time back since they were babies). Also, I guess it is possible to leave the ballet at intermission or hopefully find a ballet that is shorter (I have been to a long one and shorter one in St. Pete). The tickets schedule is not out yet. We are doing a Med. cruise before this one then flying from Barcelona to Copenhagen for 3 days before the Baltic cruise. We will definitely be on European time by then but I still need to think it through in regards to Russia. I guess we will go all out in Russia and take it very easy in Finland the next day.

Great to know more on your overall plan, past Europe experiences, etc. YES, the good news is that you are thinking carefully about these things in advance in order to plan, prepare accordingly. You have many options to "ADJUST" by only doing part of the ballet, lightening up in Helsinki, etc. It will all work out fine! Good luck. Let us know any added questions.

Archived