packing/unpacking clothes

Stinkybaby

So I am a clothes person, and I am going on a 7 day cruise, AND wont be able to wash any of my clothes. Therefore I feel like I will have A LOT of clothes with me. We are allowed to bring 2 suitcases per person right?

Also, is there a lot of drawer/closet space? When we were on the sky we just kind of left our clothes in the closet but it was kind of a disaster... but our cruise was only 3 nights. So should I put all my clothes on hangers beforehand and just slap them in the closet? Thanks!

So I am a clothes person, and I am going on a 7 day cruise, AND wont be able to wash any of my clothes. Therefore I feel like I will have A LOT of clothes with me. We are allowed to bring 2 suitcases per person right?

Also, is there a lot of drawer/closet space? When we were on the sky we just kind of left our clothes in the closet but it was kind of a disaster... but our cruise was only 3 nights. So should I put all my clothes on hangers beforehand and just slap them in the closet? Thanks!

Alright... Why are you convinced you can't have any of your clothes washed? On cruises 7 days and longer, there is usually a special where you can get an entire bag of clothes done for 25 bucks...

Two suitcases? Ok, in my experience, you're probably over packing for 7 days... But that will come with experience.

There is closet space... and I would recommend hanging most of your clothes. Drawers are limited, but useful.

Here's NCL's official policy from their FAQs:

"Each person is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds. However, if passengers are traveling by air, they need to check with the airline for specific restrictions."

That said, I don't believe anyone has ever reported having a problem taking aboard more than the stated maximum. Just check your larger items with the porters at the pier. Now, IMO, if you even approach 100 pounds per person for a week-long cruise, you are way over-packing.

I am a real bad over packer but I love changing clothes and shoes. On my last 10day cruise I brought a ton of sundresses and shorts and stuff, then I bought a mini steamer for like 10 bucks at bed bath and beyond I loved it if storage is tight keep undies and tops in suitcase have fun happy cruisin

I am a real bad over packer but I love changing clothes and shoes. On my last 10day cruise I brought a ton of sundresses and shorts and stuff, then I bought a mini steamer for like 10 bucks at bed bath and beyond I loved it if storage is tight keep undies and tops in suitcase have fun happy cruisin

We are going on a 12 night med cruise with 2 carry on cases, and a back pack.

Did a b2b for 2 weeks lat month with 2 carry on bags and a backpack between myself and DH. There were things I packed and never even wore.

I never understand people that pack those monster suitcases that I can fit inside of. I had makeup, toiletries, multiple shoes, 3 different pants, a dress, 2 swimsuits and a TON of tops I could mix and match. We even had room to bring back souvenirs. Anyone want packing lessons?

Did a b2b for 2 weeks lat month with 2 carry on bags and a backpack between myself and DH. There were things I packed and never even wore.

I never understand people that pack those monster suitcases that I can fit inside of. I had makeup, toiletries, multiple shoes, 3 different pants, a dress, 2 swimsuits and a TON of tops I could mix and match. We even had room to bring back souvenirs. Anyone want packing lessons?

A) I'm so jealous you did a BTB on the Epic

B) congrats on the honeymoon

C) I agree, really nice tops take up no space, I love traveling light

D) I'm so jealous you did a BTB on the Epic

Man, I try so HARD to NOT overpack............BUT it always happens...........how do you pack so lightly?????

I have looked at some of those you tube videos and watch how you can pack so many things in a carry on - BUT really??? What about us with the shoe obessessions??? And jammies and all that????

Thanks for any input!:D

I leave Sunday on the Gem for a 7-day & am taking a 22" suitcase with 3 pairs of gargantan-sized shoes and a large tote. Did the same for Europe for 10 days by color-coordinating outfits...it CAN been done.

The best way to pack is to pick one or 2 colors and go with it by selecting a few items you can mix and match. People are amazed at how many outfits they can create by just choosing the right items to take with them.

BTW, unless you are traveling alone, I would also suggest cross-packing in case one set of luggage does not arrive.

P.S. My brother spent 17 years in the military and taught us how to pack a long time ago, usually without wrinkles.

Man, I try so HARD to NOT overpack............BUT it always happens...........how do you pack so lightly?????

I have looked at some of those you tube videos and watch how you can pack so many things in a carry on - BUT really??? What about us with the shoe obessessions??? And jammies and all that????

Thanks for any input!:D

I pack just 3 carryons for my cruises, 1 carryon with just shoes. When it is full I know I have enough.:D

Some time back, we were on a CC cabin crawl. When we entered one of the suites, we noticed five pairs of women’s wedge shoes that seemed to be the exact same style except for the color of the top. 5 different colors of the rainbow. The woman in the suite commented that she needed a full suit case just for her shoes. The shoes we saw were the shoes that did not fit in the closet.

Although we found it funny, everyone has different requirement when they travel.

I am an overpacker but am in recovery. After several cruises I have realized that I just dont change clothes as much as I thought I would. Granted I spend sea days pool side in bathing suit and cover up so that is light on the packing. I have experienced plenty of storage especially on the EPIC. As others have mentioned a mini steamer can be a great travel item. I usually just bring a few extra tops so I have options. I now bring one suitcase (on caribbean cruises) and a very small back pack type carry on. Have plenty of room for all my items.

Try doing a few multi-week trips across Europe where you travel by train. You will learn very fast how to pack light!!! I used to be an overpacker. I can now go for 3 weeks in the winter with one 28" roller (gotta have someplace to pack the boots and ski clothes) and 3 weeks the rest of the year in a 22" bag and a daypack. The daypack holds my toiletries kit, my Kindle, camera and extra lenses, noise-cancelling headphones, stuff for the flight, an extra shirt). I have a cool packable duffle that I put on the bottom of my bag so that I do have an extra bag in case I find something that I just MUST buy on the trip. Yes, doing laundry along the way is involved. It's not hard to do a little handwash each night (keeps the undies and socks to a minimum). I either take advantage of a hotel laundry or even find a neighborhood laundramat to do some things that won't dry overnight. I just build into my travel budget the money for it.

I drive my husband crazy! He always yells at me about my shoes and why am I packing 5 pairs of flip flops and 3 pairs of sandals etc..:) The first step is admitting you need help. HAHA!

I cured my wife of that by agreeing to a simple rule..."you bag it... you drag it"... Told her she could pack whatever she wanted, but whatever it was, it became her own responsibility to get it from A to B... Add in a baggage overage fee and the next time we cruised, her suitcase was lighter even than mine! She is now a master at packing light.

17 days in Scandinavia - 9 day cruise - 2 carry-ons, 2 small backpacks - for our 3 days in Norway post cruise, traveling by train Oslo to Bergen - just the 2 backpacks - the carry-ons will be left with the hotel in Copenhagen.

Makes me feel young again;)

StinkyBaby (LOVE your user id), please don't let anyone discourage you from taking what you want to on this cruise. As you cruise more and more, you will find ways on your own to cut down on shoes, clothing and toiletries that you didn't use before. I understand completely your analytical process because I did the very same thing for my first 30-40 cruises, and I still do it when I go on certain ships. You want something different to wear during the day every day and something different to wear at night every night. This means multiple pairs of shoes, LOTS of underwear, and LOTS of accessories. To this day, I always take a large hanging/folding garment bag for all of my hanging clothes and a medium or large rolling bag, depending on the length of the cruise, both of which I check. I also take a smaller rolling carry-on for toiletries, jewelry, and a change of underwear and a set of simple travel-type top and pants (in case my luggage gets lost en route -- and it has happened before when I flew to Genoa, Italy for a cruise). When I am packing, if my sweet SO is going with me, he just smiles and gently shakes his head, but he NEVER says a word and he ALWAYS insists on handling my luggage for me, as any thoughtful gentleman would. He knows one of the things I love about cruising is being able to dress up each night (I don't mean formal at all.... just lovely resort-casual attire with great accessories), and he enjoys and appreciates that I always try to look my best, and he does the same.

So, bottom line, Baby, I'm just saying, take what you want to.... what you feel would make you feel comfortable and happy and pretty. You'll manage the "space" thing in the cabin one way or the other.

Sorry, but someone telling me "you pack it, you drag it" just wouldn't work for me. I do do that when I'm traveling/cruising alone, but, thankfully, my SO would never say something like that to me.

I hope you really enjoy your cruise and without any stress or worry.

Peggy

Why was putting your clothes in the closet a disaster? If you didn't have enough hangers, didn't you realize you could get more from your cabin steward?

Why can't you wash any of your clothes? Are they delicates that can't go to the ship's laundry?

NCL doesn't actually enforce any limit on luggage, but if you're flying you'll be paying even more for additional suitcases than for the first one.

I'm one of the people who've learned how to take tops/bottoms in mix 'n match colors and wear the items more than once with a different top or a different bottom.

When we did 33 days on the Sun on b2b2b cruises with weather ranging from the cold of Iceland to heat of the Caribbean, we each had one suitcase and one carry-on. We used the ship's laundry specials.

StinkyBaby (LOVE your user id), please don't let anyone discourage you from taking what you want to on this cruise. As you cruise more and more, you will find ways on your own to cut down on shoes, clothing and toiletries that you didn't use before. I understand completely your analytical process because I did the very same thing for my first 30-40 cruises, and I still do it when I go on certain ships. You want something different to wear during the day every day and something different to wear at night every night. This means multiple pairs of shoes, LOTS of underwear, and LOTS of accessories. To this day, I always take a large hanging/folding garment bag for all of my hanging clothes and a medium or large rolling bag, depending on the length of the cruise, both of which I check. I also take a smaller rolling carry-on for toiletries, jewelry, and a change of underwear and a set of simple travel-type top and pants (in case my luggage gets lost en route -- and it has happened before when I flew to Genoa, Italy for a cruise). When I am packing, if my sweet SO is going with me, he just smiles and gently shakes his head, but he NEVER says a word and he ALWAYS insists on handling my luggage for me, as any thoughtful gentleman would. He knows one of the things I love about cruising is being able to dress up each night (I don't mean formal at all.... just lovely resort-casual attire with great accessories), and he enjoys and appreciates that I always try to look my best, and he does the same.

So, bottom line, Baby, I'm just saying, take what you want to.... what you feel would make you feel comfortable and happy and pretty. You'll manage the "space" thing in the cabin one way or the other.

Sorry, but someone telling me "you pack it, you drag it" just wouldn't work for me. I do do that when I'm traveling/cruising alone, but, thankfully, my SO would never say something like that to me.

I hope you really enjoy your cruise and without any stress or worry.

Peggy

Fortunately my wife is not so high maintenance that she can't figure out how to coordinate outfits without needing multiple pairs of shoes, and can also mix and match so that things dont get worn just once or not at all... And... She is quite capable of handling her own bags. :)

Why was putting your clothes in the closet a disaster? If you didn't have enough hangers, didn't you realize you could get more from your cabin steward?

I meant to say suitcases not hangers. We just left our suitcases next to the bed and it ended up taking so much space. I don't know why I didn't think to hang up my clothes at that point. But it was only 3 nights, so I guess I didn't want to deal with it.

Why can't you wash any of your clothes? Are they delicates that can't go to the ship's laundry?

I didn't know they had laundry until I posted this... lol

NCL doesn't actually enforce any limit on luggage, but if you're flying you'll be paying even more for additional suitcases than for the first one.

We are driving from Orlando to Tampa.. its nice to live within 2 hours of 2 different ports :cool:

Archived