@ Cruise Lovers - what is the "it" that makes one an addict!

sazzinfredericton

Returned from my first 7 day East. Car. cruise and came away with not really feeling "it". Perhaps it was the type of cruise.

I had booked an 11 day East. Med. cruise in May before taking my first cruise based on the excitement of cruising generated on this forum. I am looking forward to this next cruise because of the itinerary.

Perhaps this cruise will give me the "it" to get me hooked. I will have to wait and see.

I will say that within a couple of weeks following my cruise in January, I was missing something about it....but cannot put my finger on what that "it" is!

Hope someone can enlighten me.....

Returned from my first 7 day East. Car. cruise and came away with not really feeling "it". Perhaps it was the type of cruise.

I had booked an 11 day East. Med. cruise in May before taking my first cruise based on the excitement of cruising generated on this forum. I am looking forward to this next cruise because of the itinerary.

Perhaps this cruise will give me the "it" to get me hooked. I will have to wait and see.

I will say that within a couple of weeks following my cruise in January, I was missing something about it....but cannot put my finger on what that "it" is!

Hope someone can enlighten me.....

Well, for one thing, if your are a wine/champagne/soda/bottle water drinker, could it possibly have been because you were not allowed to bring onboard, at embarkation, as well as at any/all ports of call as much wine, champagne, soda & bottled water as one is able to carry, pull or push when boarding, (as is allowed with HAL)? ;)

"it" is the sea, whether calm as a sheet of glass, or white-capped, or roiling

"it" is the sky, whether the sun is shining bright, or the clouds are rolling in, or a storm is brewing, a rain-shower passing by, when the sun is just rising, or watching it set over the horizon

"it" is the exploration of new ports, new cultures, new peoples or the understanding of ancient ruins and lost cultures

"it" is the exploration of a ship and all its venues, whether a crowded martini bar before dinner, being the lone occupant on the aft deck at sunrise, the solitude of a stateroom balcony in the middle of the night, the crowded and excited deck at sail-away or the feeling of awe when standing alone on an empty fore deck in the middle of the ocean feeling the wind against my face

"it" is the enjoyment of meeting new people from all walks of life and all corners of the world, whether they be passengers who are on their first cruise, seasoned travelers, crew, natives of new countries, whether they be young or old

"it" is unpacking once and feeling my worries and stress melt away just knowing (or not knowing) what the coming days will bring

'it" is the friendly smile and helpful, grateful, wonderful service of staff who really care, and who want to know about you as much as you want to know about them

"it" is the company of friends and family

"it" is travel...in the most enjoyable manner I have yet found !!

Woody

"it" is the sky, whether the sun is shining bright, or the clouds are rolling in, or a storm is brewing, a rain-shower passing by, when the sun is just rising, or watching it set over the horizon

"it" is the exploration of new ports, new cultures, new peoples or the understanding of ancient ruins and lost cultures

"it" is the exploration of a ship and all its venues, whether a crowded martini bar before dinner, being the lone occupant on the aft deck at sunrise, the solitude of a stateroom balcony in the middle of the night, the crowded and excited deck at sail-away or the feeling of awe when standing alone on an empty fore deck in the middle of the ocean feeling the wind against my face

"it" is the enjoyment of meeting new people from all walks of life and all corners of the world, whether they be passengers who are on their first cruise, seasoned travelers, crew, natives of new countries, whether they be young or old

"it" is unpacking once and feeling my worries and stress melt away just knowing (or not knowing) what the coming days will bring

'it" is the friendly smile and helpful, grateful, wonderful service of staff who really care, and who want to know about you as much as you want to know about them

Woody

This is one of the loveliest ... and deepest ... expressions of it all I have seen. Thanks for making the effort. I might even save it, if I may, for when my friends, who think I'm nuts, ask yet again why I love something they, in their ignorance, caricature.

Fern

Woody

You have captured it perfectly. I could never hope to explain it nearly as well as this. A wonderful response.

Anne

Woody

Thank you Woody....not only is your response eloquent as already stated by librarylady...but it sure gave "the it" and more that I was trying to understand re Cruising. You made me see some of the "it" I was missing from returning from my first cruise.

@ Geriatric Nurse....your response gave me a chuckle! I had the premium alcohol pkg and wine and dine pkg so that wasn't the "it" I was missing lol.

Some people find they enjoy any cruise.

Some love transatlantic trips.

Maybe you have found that a Caribbean style cruise is not for you. We have visited many Islands there but don't wish to criuse them.

We love the interesting ports of the Med and Baltic, so your next cruise could find "it".

For us 2 sea days in a row is the max.

You could just find that cruising is not your thing.

Thank you for your response. Yes I did think that perhaps cruising isn't for me when I left the cruise ship the last day and I did think that Caribbean Cruise could be the reason. As it was first trip to PR/St.Tho/St.M I wanted to visit the Islands.

What I realized is that I missed the beach and walking the beach. So if I do find myself enjoying the cruise experience more on my E. Med. Cruise....should I decide to do the Caribbean again, I will definitely spend my port days on the beach.

What made me ask the question was that two weeks following my cruise ...I was surprized that I had that nagging feeling .....I was missing something about the cruise experience and found that rather peculiar given how I felt when I left the cruise that last day.

Just wondering if the cruise bug somehow sneaks up on you when you least expect it :)!

There are several things that make cruising better than other vacations

1 - No fly cruises. An hour and a half drive an I should be at the port.

No airports, no waiting for flights, security, check ins, travel etc.

2 - Once you are on board your vacation starts. Again the no fly factor rules here. Flying loses a day each way.

3 - At the minimum, all the food you could ever eat is included plus basic drinks.

4 - A cashless ship takes away that you are spending money.

5 - Entertainment is included

6 - You adjust to timezones as you pass through them and jet lag doesn't happen.

7 - People are generally much more friendly on board

eating good food that I haven't had to cook.

coming back and finding the room clean and I haven't had to pick it up.

doing what I want to do - whether or not DH is up for it.

hanging around the cruisecritic boards to get my anticipation going.

knowing that - yes there will be another cruise when I have to go home. :)

Yup, I think RWR235 hit on it very well. We do take land vacations, and one is a week 'camp' at a Univeristy where we stay in dorms, there are workshops, nature trips and socializing. Great time. But I enjoy a cruise more because of not only being At Sea, but also the flexibility a cruise gives us. We can do anything we wish. I'll plan on going to a lecture or some ship's function and find myself sitting at a pool or on my balcony and just letting the time go. When we travel with family or friends, there isn't that requirement to plan it all out for everyone. We just set a time to meet each day and that's it.

We went on a cruise with a large group that had so much planned out, and I found I didn't enjoy it as much....they seemed to take offense if we didnt' join in on all the 'activities'.

So that may be one of the 'it' for me....the flexibilty a cruise gives me. Heck, I can dress up a bit and head to a sitdown more formal lunch, or zip up to the buffet, or even just step in line at the grill. I can get involved in group actiivies, just meet up with friends, or sit on my balcony, timing how long flying fish can stay airborne. Whatever I wish.

I need a 'rest' before going back to work after a land vacation...not a cruise.

So, along with RWR's reference to what it's like being At Sea, I'll add the Flexibility and true relaxation a cruise gives you.

Den

Woody

Excellent response.

I agree with all of the above. After our first cruise, which was only a 5 night, we weren't a 100% sure if we felt "it" either. We booked another cruise which was a 10 day which gave us more time to relax and enjoy all that cruising had to offer. We came off that cruise knowing we were hooked.

My favourite "its" are standing up on deck at night or on our balcony and feeling the wind on my face, looking out at the black night and just hearing the quiet soothing sound of the water against the ship. We had an aft cabin last year and watching and listening to the wake was awesome.

The other is getting up in the morning and seeing the sun rise up over the ocean.

I always feel so looked after and pampered on a cruise. We used to go to Disney World a lot and it was go, go, go to exhaustion. Cruising just feels good for the soul.

"it" is NOT about carting on bottles of water, pop and wine, who wants to drag all that on board. If I have to start worrying if I can take drinks on board so I don't have to pay for any on the ship then I will stop cruising!

I will really be attentive to all of your "it"s on my next cruise.

Somehow your "it"s are impacting me in a way that I feel that, perhaps, I may have already , unknowingly, been "infected" with the cruise bug!

My cruise in May I will definitely know whether it is the cruise virus!

I so enjoy reading what makes cruising to you so special.

Muchas Gracias!

Years ago there was a commercial that stated, "Calgon, take me away". When I step foot onboard, this is the feeling I always experience.

The sea promotes well-being, calmness, a sense that all is right with the world. And for an all too short while...it's wonderful.

Woody, you said it well. You captured the "It" beautifully.

Karyn

I have to say that without having been on one yet (12 days to embarkation and counting!), Woody's reply is precisely what I am hoping to experience on our first cruise. From what I've been learning on this chat board, with so many options for how to spend your time aboard the ship, a person would be hard pressed to NOT find just the right way to spend their time. There's no wrong way to do it!

DH and I are hoping that our cruise will be the perfect combo of fun and relaxation. First we'll have 3 full sea days to relax and take it all in. Then we kick it up with 5 straight days of Caribbean ports (I've been calling it the Saints Tour - St. Maarten, St. Johns Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Thomas), and then 3 more full sea days to unwind and relax some more. I think for us, it will be just what we need!

While there are so many reasons we enjoy cruises, including the number of people we meet on ships, one of the biggest "its" for me is the motion of the ocean. I become somewhat hypnotized by the swells and can spend great amounts of time just sitting on my balcony looking out at the ocean. Simple pleasures for simple minds!

Woody

Yep. That pretty much says it all for us as well.

Archived