Travel agent vs. Cruiseline

redcruzer

I've used the same travel agency for each of my cruises. After this latest experience, I think I am done. Not going to get into details. I just feel like I could have done all of this myself. I was made to feel like I was bugging him every time I wanted to switch cabins due to a better one opening up. If I would've called princess myself, I could have got the room I wanted before it noosed again,

Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on booking directly thru the cruise line as opposed to an agent?ugh

I've used the same travel agency for each of my cruises. After this latest experience, I think I am done. Not going to get into details. I just feel like I could have done all of this myself. I was made to feel like I was bugging him every time I wanted to switch cabins due to a better one opening up. If I would've called princess myself, I could have got the room I wanted before it noosed again,

Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on booking directly thru the cruise line as opposed to an agent?ugh

I've always done better with a TA rather than booking directly through the cruise lines. That being said, it is extremely important to have an agent that not only gives you discounts and perks, but also gives you excellent service. Sounds like you may need a different agent.

I have 3 different ones that I use and have always gotten great service. The TA's that really want to keep your business will work hard for you. You should never be made to feel as if you are bothering them.

The important thing is to do it the way that satisfies you. Lots of people here have found great TA's. Ones that give them great service and also great perks. I usually save 10% to 20% off the fare on the Princess website and get some OBC too.

Sounds like you need a new TA. I do a lot of research myself and don't need a lot of hand-holding so when I'm ready to book, I really just need a quote. I LOVE saving money which is why I use a TA. If you book directly with the cruiseline, you are paying the equivalent of the "manufacturer's suggested retail price" and are responsible for knowing and educating yourself on all of the ins and outs of your cruise. Even a discount TA provides those services.

I've used the same travel agent for over 10 years. She is terrific. She cruises all the time so knows the ships etc. If I have a problem she takes care of it immediately. We had a problem last year on one of our cruises. We solved the problem but mentioned it in an email to her while we were sailing. The next day we had a bottle of wine and apologies from the management. I surf the web to see what cruises I might like. I tell her what I'm looking at and then ask for her opinion. She knows exactly what I like, plus she saves me lots of money!!!!

I have not seen significant price changes between booking direct with Princess and going with another resource. In the absence of a significant difference, I will book direct. I just don't want to go through layers when there is not a real material difference for me.

I always use an online TA...there are actually several that I've booked with. I'm an experienced cruiser, I know what I want, and I don't require a full-service agent.

I always find fares several hundred dollars less than Princess offers, along with OBC, and various other perks like wine, dinner in one of the ala carte restaurants, free photo, discounted excursions, etc. So for me, online TA's are best bang for my travel buck! :)

Booking directly with Princess does give you the ability to call Princess everytime you want to make a change, including times that a travel agent might be closed but Princess is open.

Booking with a good travel agent gets someone in your corner to go to bat for you if something goes wrong.

Booking with a good discount travel agent gets that support and better pricing and perks.

Only you can decide if keeping control is a good tradeoff for not having someone to go to bat for you ans/or offer better pricing.

However, it seems as if your travel agent does not want to deal with you much, so I agree with the others. Find a new travel agent. On your next cruise, speak to fellow passengers to get some recomendations.

Booking directly with Princess does give you the ability to call Princess everytime you want to make a change, including times that a travel agent might be closed but Princess is open.

Booking with a good travel agent gets someone in your corner to go to bat for you if something goes wrong.

Booking with a good discount travel agent gets that support and better pricing and perks.

Only you can decide if keeping control is a good tradeoff for not having someone to go to bat for you ans/or offer better pricing.

However, it seems as if your travel agent does not want to deal with you much, so I agree with the others. Find a new travel agent. On your next cruise, speak to fellow passengers to get some recomendations.

You have done a good job of spelling out some of the alternatives.

First of all if I can do my first cruise just by calling the cruiseline and doing the Personalizer, and do it all without a problem from initial call to disembarking from the ship, what is the Travel Agent doing for me that I cannot do for myself. I have done other cruises since my first one. I like the control. I think this comes from doing many land-based vacations mostly on my own. I love doing the vacation planning.

Yeah, you might get a bottle of wine with questionable quality, or a little OBC, or some little gift. Then again, you might not get anything extra. That is not enough to offset my level of control that I have come to enjoy.

Having said all that, if I did come across a Travel Agent either in person or online that gives significant added value, I will go that route.

I used an on-line travel company two years ago for a 33-day cruise and they were awesome. I'm not allowed to say who they are, but we did receive a great price and service, plus on board gifts like wine packages, dinners and credits. I've cruised a lot and this year decided just to book directly with Princess, and now wished I had contacted that TA again just for the perks.

I have come full circle.........I used a TA for our first 20 cruises.........last 3 I have booked on our own. Just by checking the Princess website we found savings on our Star Princess cruise totalling $1,200!!!! The TA was not checking or unaware of price drops.......

I too have not found a significant difference in price using a TA or booking direct..........

Who knows, I may change back to a TA down the road.........

Archived