Seattle Logisitics...3 nts...when to Pike Place, Space Needle etc??

sharecruises

Hi...trying to figure logistics with group

some of us coming in May 19, saturday at about 2:30 PM

will take hotel shuttle to our Hotel ...Quality Inn and Suites on John St

what to do first night?? we are all 50 something..mostly gals in the first night

we will be there 3 nights...

want to ..

Saturday .......

Eithiopian food cause we do not have it here in S Florida....I think this best the first night

what else could we do?? we also may be tired from flight etc

Sunday.....

is this a good day to do Pike Place or should we try to do the cruise this day? >>>????????? Maybe the cruise?? most of our people will be flying in this day......

Monday ...

sky city for lunch (NOT brunch)..so I guess this needs to be on Monday

?>??? should we do Pike Place or the cruise??

dinner at Fisherman's Restaurant ( the night before the cruise)

Also can't figure...which cruise????

> do some sort of cruise/? I thought the Queen of Seattle Paddleboat

but ?? or Duck or Tillicum Village...or...Argosy 1 hour cruise plus Aquarium??

Is the Aquarium something we would enjoy?? thanks

My only advice is to do Pike Place Market on a day when you can go there first thing in the morning. There are a couple of places (Lowell's, the Athenian) that do a good sit-down breakfast (with a view) from 7 am or earlier, and others where you can grab a pastry and coffee that early. You can watch the vendors setting up and the Market coming to life. By 9 am everything is open, and by 10 am it's starting to get crowded--and by lunchtime in the middle of cruise season, it's jam-packed. If you can get in and out by then, you'll still see a lot, and have less craziness to deal with. I am NOT a morning person, but when I need something there in the summer, even I drag myself out and get there early!

Sundays might be a little more crazy still at the Market, but really, in the summer there's always a lot of people, every day! There might also be a few vendors (mainly some of the permanent shops, as opposed to the day stalls, where vendors move in and out every day) not open on Sundays.

you might find this article useful re Ethiopian food:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/684667

As for how to organize your time, I think you'll need to wing it depending on the weather. Mid May can sunny and 65 or typical spring weather of rain and 50. Be sure you have enough back up plans for rainy days.

Lots of info in this site. http://www.seattle.gov/visiting/

The Space Needle isn't the only place for a view:

http://www.seattle.gov/HTML/VISITOR/points.htm

Even if the weather is good, the Ducks is an afternoon activity. It is pretty cool on the water around here.

The King Tut exhibit will be at the Seattle Center if that's of interest.

Visit the Klondike Gold Rush Museum in Pioneer Square if you're going on a cruise to Alaska. Free bus route #99 includes the Market, waterfront and Pioneer Square.

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/cftemplates/show_map.cfm?BUS_ROUTE=099&DAY_NAV=WSU

For an inexpensive Seattle experience, ride the ferry to Bremerton. $7.50 RT, 1 hr each way. Just stay on and ride it back. Fantastic views of the Seattle skyline. Then go to Fishermans for dinner.

Salty's on Alki Beach in West Seattle is a little pricey but excellent food, with GREAT views of Seattle. (Maybe do a late lunch instead of dinner??) Or just go there for drinks. The water taxi to Alki is $7RT. Saltys has a free limo from downtown too; check out the details tho.

http://www.saltys.com/seattle/

Here's the water taxi http://kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/WaterTaxi/WestSeattleRoute.aspx

The ferry terminal is at pier 50/52. The ferries to Bremerton leave almost hourly. A shorter route would be Bainbridge Island; only 30 minutes each way.

http://www.seattle.gov/html/citizen/ferry.htm

this map of the free bus route gives you a very clear picture of where the ferry terminal is. (next door to Ivar's for fish ' chips)

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/cftemplates/show_map.cfm?BUS_ROUTE=099&DAY_NAV=WSU

I too am trying to plan our time in Seattle in early May. The Bremerton ferry sounds interesting. Where would we catch this ferry?

Also, glad to hear about the King Tut exhibit.

Thanks so much.

The main ferry dock is Pier 52, on Alaska Way. It's basically downtown and a short walk from Pike Place Market. It's down a sizeable bluff, but there are various routes (elevators, stairways, sky bridges, and the like) that make it easy to access. The Bremerton and Bainbridge Island ferries leave from there, and both make a nice excursion.

I don't know if TutMania will rise to the crazy levels it did the first time his artifacts went on tour, but tickets for each day may very possibly sell out ahead of time. The Pacific Science Center is selling tickets now http://www.pacificsciencecenter.org/King-Tut/king-tut-the-exhibition

The Goldrush museum looks very interesting, thanks

We are going to the Yukon in Skagway so that will give us some good background to understand what we are seeing!

I wonder if the Ferry and/or Duck will be too cold for us??

The Seattle tourists are mostly Floridans. We just are NOT used to cold weather

In fact I had a gal who decided to NOT go on the cruise cause she just feels that she can NOT bear weather under 60 degrees!!

I do realize we will be "cold" and have to bundle up, but I had not thought ahead that being on the water will feel colder??

Maybe the 1 hour Argosy Harbor Cruise and the Aquarium are a better choice for us??? The Harbor Cruise looks like it has more "covered" enclosed space to keep warm?? Is the Aquarium inside?

Pike Place looks like it is mostly inside right??

I hate to sound like a wuss, but yeah I am a wuss. I have lived in Florida for 27 years. I honestly do NOT own any real winter clothes. :eek:

It was 86 degrees here today and very very sunny. It is high 70's right now...cooling off for night.

You are going to Alaska. You are going to be cold. You need winter type clothes. I'm talking gloves and hats. If you think being on the water in Seattle is cold, what are you going to do when you are in Glacier Bay looking at the glaciers? Please don't stay inside your entire cruise, get out there all bundled up.

The Goldrush museum looks very interesting, thanks

We are going to the Yukon in Skagway so that will give us some good background to understand what we are seeing!

I wonder if the Ferry and/or Duck will be too cold for us??

The Seattle tourists are mostly Floridans. We just are NOT used to cold weather

In fact I had a gal who decided to NOT go on the cruise cause she just feels that she can NOT bear weather under 60 degrees!!

I do realize we will be "cold" and have to bundle up, but I had not thought ahead that being on the water will feel colder??

Maybe a little--especially if it's a cool day, with clouds or a breeze. May is gorgeous here--flowers everywhere--but not necessarily warm. Summer in Seattle starts right after the 4th of July.

Pack your long pants (maybe bring shorts, too, but don't count on wearing them every day). Go to REI (it's the over-the-top flagship store of a big outdoor clothing and equipment co-op--they have an indoor climbing pinnacle, a test track for mountain bikes, and a shower where you can test waterproof clothing before you buy--VERY Seattle) and pick up a nice, light, waterproof jacket--or just buy a cheap one at any downtown store (Ross Dress for Less, Old Navy, etc.). Grab a cheap sweatshirt at any touristy shop around the Market, or the Space Needle, or the waterfront. Layer those and you'll be fine. They will make nice souvenirs, or if you really don't think you'll ever wear them again, ask your hotel if they can help you donate them to a local shelter when you're ready to leave. But if you don't own anything for colder weather, you WILL find a few warmer items a worthwhile investment, even if just for a few days' wear.

Maybe the 1 hour Argosy Harbor Cruise and the Aquarium are a better choice for us??? The Harbor Cruise looks like it has more "covered" enclosed space to keep warm?? Is the Aquarium inside?

Pike Place looks like it is mostly inside right??

The Argosy boats probably have more actual indoor space. The Ducks have plastic window-coverings they roll down when it's nasty out. The Aquarium is indoors. The Market mostly is, but you'll need to go outside to get between buildings. You'll need to go outside to get most anywhere.

I hate to sound like a wuss, but yeah I am a wuss. I have lived in Florida for 27 years. I honestly do NOT own any real winter clothes. :eek:

It was 86 degrees here today and very very sunny. It is high 70's right now...cooling off for night.

I feel your pain, really I do. I moved here from Santa Barbara. I froze my tail off at first--but I wouldn't go back now for anything! You don't need to buy furs and down parkas for a summer visit. You may get lucky and have a gorgeous, sunny, 80-degree visit. But you've spent a lot already on this cruise. Spend a little more and buy some warmish, layer-able clothes and you will enjoy yourselves a lot more.

We'd love to see the King Tut exhibit. Does anyone know the exhibition hours for early June? We're coming back from our Alaska cruisetour to Seattle on June 6th and will fly home on June 7th. If we'll have enough time to see the exhibition on the afternoon of June 6th, we'll definitely books tickets. If the museum closes at 6:00pm, I'm not sure we'll have enough time to see everything and make it worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi...trying to figure logistics with group

some of us coming in May 19, saturday at about 2:30 PM

will take hotel shuttle to our Hotel ...Quality Inn and Suites on John St

what to do first night?? we are all 50 something..mostly gals in the first night

we will be there 3 nights...

want to ..

Saturday .......

Eithiopian food cause we do not have it here in S Florida....I think this best the first night

what else could we do?? we also may be tired from flight etc

Sunday.....

is this a good day to do Pike Place or should we try to do the cruise this day? >>>????????? Maybe the cruise?? most of our people will be flying in this day......

Monday ...

sky city for lunch (NOT brunch)..so I guess this needs to be on Monday

?>??? should we do Pike Place or the cruise??

dinner at Fisherman's Restaurant ( the night before the cruise)

Also can't figure...which cruise????

> do some sort of cruise/? I thought the Queen of Seattle Paddleboat

but ?? or Duck or Tillicum Village...or...Argosy 1 hour cruise plus Aquarium??

Is the Aquarium something we would enjoy?? thanks

if you check out Groupon for seattle they have a deal for Ethiopian food

To the floridian tourists,

Consider picking up (maybe online) true warm layers to wear under your normal clothes...like Under Armor or other cold weather gear. This way it won't take up much room in packing...much better than lots of bulky outer layers. You can do both shirts and leggings...heck gloves too. Pick up a pack of instant heat hand warmers and viola! You're warm!

The Tilicum village tour is enjoyable and gives a nice northwest flair for tourists. Consider also the Ivars Salmon House is a true northwest experience and very nice view.

The aquarium? It's nice, but if you've been to a few big ones this one won't thrill you.

Enjoy Seattle! I moved here from a very hot climate on purpose...love the cool weather and all the green and blue...even blue skies once in awhile!

We'd love to see the King Tut exhibit. Does anyone know the exhibition hours for early June? We're coming back from our Alaska cruisetour to Seattle on June 6th and will fly home on June 7th. If we'll have enough time to see the exhibition on the afternoon of June 6th, we'll definitely books tickets. If the museum closes at 6:00pm, I'm not sure we'll have enough time to see everything and make it worthwhile.

The summer hours aren't listed on the web site, but the last ticket time you can purchase is for 6pm. Call their toll free number 800 664-8775 for more info.

http://www.pacificsciencecenter.org/King-Tut/king-tut-the-exhibition

• 4 weeks later...

Just riding the train back to Portland after a long weekend in Seattle and wanted to echo/amplify some of the comments above.

We were attending ComicCon :) and so we wanted to stay downtown, near the Convention Center. We ended up staying at the Hyatt Olive 8 which I'd really recommend if you get a good price like we did.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that if you are staying in that area, taking the monorail to the museums in the Seattle Center area is a nice touch. We went to the Pacific Science Center (Tut isn't there yet), and the EMP which is contemporary music, science fiction and pop culture. The current Avatar exhibit is quite good. The Chihuly glass museum is not open yet but will be right there. The Gates Foundation has a visitor center nearby but we ran out of time for that.

The downtown hotels all have a free Seattle map that's very useful in walking or public transit around the urban core.

The Seattle Art Museum is quite good and is right by Pike Market. SAM currently has a great Gauguin exhibit.

We went for the first time today to the NPS Klondike museum and it was great. We got to the Amtrak station a bit early, stored our bags for free since we were business class, and walked over to the NPS museum. We really enjoyed it and it set the stage for our summer Alaska trip.

Thanks for posting about Nordstrom's Rack relocation. I definitely want to check that out when we're in Seattle in May. we also booked tickets for the King Tut exhibition, so we're looking forward to that too. Now I wish we had planned more time in Seattle--so muc to do and so little time:(

Archived