What have you forgotten to bring?

Esjohnso

The worst packing job I've ever done was for a month long land based vacation in Ecuador. I must have been drunk when I packed because I forgot to pack a sweatshirt or jacket, a bathing suit, my hair dryer and my vitamins. I ended up buying a sweater at the Otovallo market , a bathing suit at a surf shop in Montanita and a hair dryer and some vitamins in the weirdest pharmacy I've ever been in. They didn't just have bottles of vitamins but they actually sold me single doses from behind the pharmacy counter. The exchange rate was great at the time so it really only ended up costing me about $35-$45 to repair my mistakes.

Now I start packing about a month before going anywhere, adding things as I go and making notes for myself on what still has to be packed.

Let's see, I've forgotten DH's dress socks, water shoes and dress shoes. All of which I had to replace while onboard. The socks wasn't that big of a deal but I hated paying $19.95 for a pair of cheap water shoes but we were doing serveral beach excursions that trip and i knew he would need them. When I went down to check on renting formal shoes the person helping me informed me that they only rented the entire package including the shoes. I explained my problem and he graciously "loaned" us a pair of shoes that DH wore for both formal nights.

Lesson learned, make a list and pack early!

Some dining companions one year walked out of their hose and left their garmet bag behind. They realized it when they got to the airport, but didn't have enough time to go back for it. When they got off the plane they went straight to the mall and had to buy several outfits to her them through the week, this was when you still dressed up for dinner unless you were doing the buffet. They didn't want to do the buffet.

Becky

NCL Sky 3/19/12

I forgot my Spanx to wear with my black gown. I've lost nearly 100 lbs., and my tummy has been very unforgiving. I wore a cocktail dress that evening instead. When we stopped in San Juan, I went to CVS to get control top nylons, and discovered that L'eggs makes slimmers!! I bought a high waisted mid-thigh slimmer for $8!! More comfy and supportive than expensive Spanx!! Great find!

I forgot my Spanx to wear with my black gown. I've lost nearly 100 lbs., and my tummy has been very unforgiving. I wore a cocktail dress that evening instead. When we stopped in San Juan, I went to CVS to get control top nylons, and discovered that L'eggs makes slimmers!! I bought a high waisted mid-thigh slimmer for $8!! More comfy and supportive than expensive Spanx!! Great find!

Great tip about the slimmers will try some for my next cruise!I was thinking of spanx but they are expensive!

• 4 weeks later...

Even after checking off everything on my "personalized packing list," I arrived onboard only to discover I didn't have any blush! Then I remembered that the blush was coordinated with my favorite lipstick so I "experimented" with using the lipstick as blush--and it worked!

Even after checking off everything on my "personalized packing list," I arrived onboard only to discover I didn't have any blush! Then I remembered that the blush was coordinated with my favorite lipstick so I "experimented" with using the lipstick as blush--and it worked!

Been there! Glad it worked out. I bought some Clinique foundation at a good price on my last cruise. Oh well, hopefully after a day or two you don't need blush, anyway!

Raising my hand re: husband's socks. The only socks they had in the gift department on the ship were navy blue thick wool socks. So.....3 pair of women's knee-hi's work well in a pinch!

I find I don't need my Advir on a cruise at all. For some reason my asthma is at bay unless someone comes on ill and it goes through the a/c system until it finds my lungs! Then I need my Z-pack and prescription cough medicine, which is never left home!!!

For our first cruise DH and I are packing our stuff at the same time. I asked him did you pack your Khakies? He said yes, and I said I don't think you did and to double check. DH said he packed them and didn't need to double check. Guess what? He discovered on the ship that he did not pack his khakis. Since we were on HAL and they were strict about the dress code in the MDR, DH wore navy blue pin striped suit pants all week. The funniest nights were when he wore his tropical shirts with them. :eek: Needless to say we both double check for his Khakis before we leave the house.

Not on a cruise but I was going to visit friends in Baltimore,MD for the weekend a few years back. Well guess who didn't pack her deodorant nor underwear realizing it halfway down on Amtrak.- It was still sitting on the bed at home(called DH to ask). Went to local Target picked these items up hey I wouldn't have found out because i was changing batteries in my CD walkman. First 2 things I pack my undies and deodorant. :D

DH forgot his collar stays once and I improvised some out of the cardboard backing of the little notebook in the cabin (I had small scissors).

Once I forgot to pack my wide-tooth comb, and you know you can't brush wet hair! Fortunately the first stop was St. Martin and I found a great one in a pharmacy that I still use to this day.

And once I forgot to buy sunblock and had to pay for an extremely overpriced bottle in St. Thomas!

Not technically "forgot" but...

On a 3 day cruise on RCL Majesty of the Seas when I was told I didn't have to pack for an elegant night but turns out there is. I don't remember what RCL calls it but we didn't have anything for it and didn't want to spend a lot of $$ so DH wore his khakis and polos and I wore my summer dress. Felt realllllllllly out of place since we were seated with others who definitely dressed up. :o

Two cruises in a row I forgot my asthma inhaler. I almost never use it (and didn't need it on either cruise), but I don't like to be without it. Luckily, I realized I forgot it the night before sailing, and there are plenty of Walgreens in Miami and Tampa. A quick run down the street and I was good to go.

Archived