Kotor

ClaudiaF

Can anyone give me some info on what to see for Kotor..

What not to miss.

The ship docks right at the city wall in Kotor We are in port from 9am to 10pm. Kotor can be seen in about one hour. We plan on a day aboard ship as we have done extensive travel on land to the area. If I had not been there before I would take an excursion to Budva and/or Sveti Stefan..old walled cities. There might be an optional tour to Cetinje which is an absolutely beautiful ride to get there, but once there not much to see unless you are into Tsar Nicholas' medals (and a very musty smelling museum at that). As others have said..make sure you are up early to appreciate the gorgeous view coming into port.

capecodder2's SIL had the right idea. We only climbed part of the way up (well above the roof tops) but it was a stunning view of fjord, ship, town, etc. The path is uneven though so be careful. Definitely a town that one can do on own.

Kotor is somewhat like Dubrovnik, though a bit less sophisticated. You can walk around in the "old town", sit at a street side cafe and have a cup of coffee and watch the passersby. You can buy stamps at the local post office (regular hours) and mail your postcard. And you can pick up some small souvenirs at the street side shops. It is a beautiful tourist town, and you can enjoy nice, leisurely few hous on shore!

Hey guys..link didn't work..thanks anyways..;-)

It did when I posted it, but I have since learned that Cruise Critic disables links to searches after 24 hours. :(

Sorry about that, but if you go to the "Europe" Board, and then click on "Other Mediterranean Ports" , a search for Kotor will provide you with amazing information and staggeringly beautiful photographs that I have ever seen. :D

Hey guys..link didn't work..thanks anyways..;-)

The way to see the spectacular views from the heights is to take a ship's excursion over the famous mountain road with the 25 hairpin bends. For this I suggest taking the Oceania choice excursion in a small vehicle that fits on the narrow road. The people who went in buses on the regular excursion had a scary ride. Do not take this excursion if you have fear of heights, motion sickness, back trouble or if you are easily tired. I took it since I had heard a lot about this famous road.I have now seen a lot of Montenegro, on my next visit I will explore Kotor in depth or maybe also go to Budva. I heard there was an interesting boat ride to an island monastery but the people I know who went on a private excursion there were not impressed, but I don't know what their expecations were.

I also suggest you go to the Other Med Ports message board and search for Kotor; there are many threads describing what to do and great photos, some of them taken from stops on this famous road. Bring telephoto lens so you don't fall over the edge of the cliff trying to take picture.

In October, 2008, the Nautica was docked right across the street from old town Kotor. It looked like fairy tale land from our balcony. Walk a couple of hundred steps and you are in the old town itself, no need for taxi or guides. We spent several hours there, it was so nice. But we did not go to Budva or other neighbouring towns, sorry!

Our experience was the same as MEOW! in 2010. Walking right off ship into old town was easy and we enjoyed just being with each other without being on a schedule. As I said earlier, walk up some portion the hill (mountain?) behind town (there are steps out of the walled area) for a commanding view of the area--stunning.

Did you do private guides /drivers to Budva or was that a ship tour..what about availability of taxis at port? Thanks all.

The sail into/out of Kotor is beautiful. The dock is within a short walking distance to town. There are several taxis waiting with their tariffs well indicated. To see Budva & the spectacular views of this port you may want to hire a driver for a few hours...inexpensive & well worth it. It is one of the most beautiful ports I've seen on a Med. cruise.

Archived